Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin intercooler owners take a gander

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin intercooler owners take a gander

Okay well while at the shop today me and a good friend of mine were looking at the twin intercoolers and the little rubber flap they depend upon for good airflow through. Well we decided to perform a test and took a fan and put it right in front of the intercooler turned it on high and put a piece of foam on top of the intercooler while it did flutter up there with the fan on it alot of air was simply going right around the flap. So we decided to install some autometer temp probes before and after the intercooler and we went for a drive under normal low or no boost temps were close to ambient not more than 5 to 10 degrees above outside, under full boost which mine is at only 9psi but it went up by 42 degrees above ambient. Then we went back to the shop and we made some intercooler scoops that replaced the rubber flaps and then first did the same test with the foam and fan as before and this time the foam flew off the top of the intercooler and flew around. Then did a test on the road and same road and under low or no boost we acually saw 6 to 8 degrees lower than ambient and when we went full boost the highest i recorded was 21 degrees over ambient. I was very excited by the improvement and cant wait to try it when the weather gets warmer. Hope this helps some of you its easy and cheap to do if you need it done I can have them made relatively cheap and they bolt right on in the same location
Attached Thumbnails Twin intercooler owners take a gander-12-27-06_1411.jpg  
Old 12-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Restricted User

cool stuff, kinda like how the vettes get there air to the brakes kinda deal...and the porsche's bla bla
Old 12-27-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you get some more higher resolution pics of your setup??? Looks to be pretty promising...
Old 12-27-2006, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fenix99
cool stuff, kinda like how the vettes get there air to the brakes kinda deal...and the porsche's bla bla
Yep pretty much same idea. I am acually working on a slightly better design as well that I think will bring even better results. Nice thing is that the faster you go the better it works
Old 12-27-2006, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Can you get some more higher resolution pics of your setup??? Looks to be pretty promising...
I will see if I can borrow my buddies camera I was crouching on the ground in the rain with my cell phone camera for that one heres a better one, To make these first prototypes all we used was a piece of 3.5 inch tubing cut it in half then bent it to the proper angle and added sides to it then ground it down and powdercoated them. I have some aluminum that i am using for the second set that will run about 4 inches long and taper down from an 2 inch opening to 1/8 of an inch at the rear guarenteeing more air to be forced up into the coolers.
Attached Thumbnails Twin intercooler owners take a gander-12-27-06_1412.jpg  
Old 12-27-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

At least you're trying something, but I have a couple questions.

What will happen to the intercooler if you catch something on the road? You might consider weakening the flange so that it will break off if you hook something on the street.

Intercooling below ambient with an air to air intercooler isn't possible unless the intercoolers were chilled below ambient before the test and if that were the case it wouldn't last long and it would be the absorbsion of heat into the IC body and not heat exchange to the atmosphere so either your ambient reference is off, or your data logger isn't set up properly.

I'm curious what pre and post intercooler temps are with what ambient conditions. If you have this data you can figure your IC efficiency.

This is part of an article in GMHTP where a ProCharger engineer participated in a install of ATI's 4.5" intercooler system complete with 3.5 / 4.5" comparison of IAT's so you can see where you stand.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_31.html

Complete IC install article.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ooler_install/

Keep up the good work.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Well the reason that I think it was below ambient is because it was cold outside raining and no boost on the motor so i figure that was the reason that it was reading lower than ambient and we had just got done running a high power fan on it and it was wet from the rain. This was a spur of the moment thing haha so it wasnt done perfectly but i do guarentee it did help the temp with 9PSI with the rubber flap the air entering the intake was 81 degrees and the temp with the scoops at the same 9 PSI was 60 degrees the temp outside according to the thermometer was 39 degrees on both runs. The RPMs were taken to max in 2nd gear ending at 6350. The scoops are acually tucked higher than the flaps by about an inch and half. But they do have bend tabs on them incase they do catch, they will bend and not damage the intercoolers or their mounting point. I did think of that. I did not have the pre temp only the post temps but will do another test soon and post the results. I am currently using the 3.5 intercoolers but will be going with a front mount in the future this is just something fun.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks very promising, great idea! Bob
Old 12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
It looks very promising, great idea! Bob
Hey Bob I am gunna send you a set of these to test for yourself
Old 12-28-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you think there would be any benefit in making sides on the scoop as well?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Do you think there would be any benefit in making sides on the scoop as well?
The prototypes do have small sides welded to them and yes I do think full sides will help immensly the new ones we are making to fit will have sides that seal to the side of the intercooler going up about 3 to 4 inches.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Cool idea, it's like RamAir for the twin IC's.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Can I buy a set of these scoops and how much are they? Ernie
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

id like a set of these . or dimensions to make my own , like flat pieces of metal and then i could weld them up , i see this as promising . Keep this up and let me knwo . My rubber on mine is cracked and weak .
Old 08-14-2011, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Talk about bringing back the dead! Still a good idea though.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've seen how close to the ground the intercooler flaps are on a Procharged car, you will realize that a scoop would last all of a week. A FMIC is a far more worthwhile mod.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white01ss
Talk about bringing back the dead! Still a good idea though.
for real, December of 06 aint no joke, im surprised the search even pulled it up
Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Anything is better than those mud flaps on the intercooler now. I would just like to try those scoops out first before I spend the money on FMIC. Who knows, it might be all I need to lower air temp. Does anybody know how to reach Bandit1?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Replacing the rubber flaps with metal is not a good idea as the first big bump would annihilate them. I was thinking of trying some triangle shaped rubber that seals the sides of the mud flaps to the bottom of the intercooler.

Quick Reply: Twin intercooler owners take a gander