Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI on somewhat stock car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI on somewhat stock car?

I know you guys are probably going to read this and think great another noob and that's somewhat true. however I have done my reading and have a few questions that I couldn't find the answer to. I know you guys all say FI is very expensive and its not that I don't believe you or just want someone to tell me what I want to hear. I do not want to make insane horsepower, and I know a lot of guys with Mustangs and such that just pretty much upgrade the fuel system and slap superchargers on and what not.
Basically what is the minimum I have to do to run say the STS kit if I just want to run a small amount of boost and maybe shoot for 400-450 rwhp or so. If I did the fuel pump, injectors, an upgraded clutch and a tune, could i get away with low boost? I would like to do maybe a mild cam and springs, timing chain etc. along with it but would it be absolutely necessary?
Old 01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Teching In

i'm getting ready to put a powerdyne on my stock 2000 camaro. im running a racetronix set up with hotwire kit and on 175 shot i put down 425hp 485tq. i'm going to ad new springs and pushrods to my vavle train just to be safe with the mileage thats on my engine. but what your looking at isn't unreallistic. i'm told that the ls1 will handle the 500 range fine. good luck
Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certainly you could run 5 psi of boost, no problem.
The nice thing about FI is that it runs like stock (smooth) when the go pedal is not being applied agressively.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02gixxersix
If I did the fuel pump, injectors, an upgraded clutch and a tune, could I get away with low boost?
Yes, although I'd add a PCV catch can and a valve cover breather (both are inexpensive) and budget for a set of valve springs.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Certainly you could run 5 psi of boost, no problem.
The nice thing about FI is that it runs like stock (smooth) when the go pedal is not being applied agressively.
That was the reason I was thinking about going this route. I was gonna go cam only or nitrous, but nitrous isn't there all the time and big cam cars sounds like they may not be very friendly to drive.

Quick Reply: FI on somewhat stock car?