Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(trunk) theres always a smart *** in the bunch
Old 02-22-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brad21
i am going with the sts kit because i dont wanna have to move my battery to the truck or lose my ac.Hey koolaid kid do you have a link to the sfc you are talking about.
ok, but you don't have to on any of the blower kits and most of the front mounts.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:04 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Please post in the correct section, and try a search first.

You will have better results here in the Forced Induction section.

Thanks,
Craig.
LS1TECH.com Staff
Old 02-23-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I would have to disagree with this as ALL turbo setups suffer LAG unless they are running an ALS (anti-lag system) which I haven't seen out side of rally and circuit racers.

The location of the turbo means greater LG time after stall periods, in terms of driveability this is a major bug bear and will be noticable.

EDIT: that link you provided doesn't seem to contain any info about lag what so ever.
You are welcome to your opinion. I agree that all turbo systems will have lag, just because of the nature of the system. However, it can be minimized to the point where is is virtually unnoticeable. Notice I repeat the word virtually, which I used in my original post. A correctly designed system will minimize lag, which the STS does. I have practical experience in this area, having owned a turbo Daytona in the 80's (which was the pits, lots of lag), and having my STS system installed for almost 3 years. To me is is not a major issue, as you stated. Just my opinion.
The link is about the power, not the lag. As far as boost levels are concerned, check out this link: http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32
Bob at EPP got this car to run at 13.5 psi.
I am not trying to start an argument (Lord knows there have been many about the STS vs. superchargers), but some people make blanket statements without having actually spent any time in the cockpit of an STS car.
Peace.
Brad21, I will try to find that link for the SFCs. The thread is quite old now, perhaps a year or more. But if I find it, I will post it for you. Perhaps 99Z28LS1 knows what company this is?
There was also a thread where a member claimed to have modified his DD SFCs to work with the STS, but he never posted any pics and quit responding to requests.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here was one member's solution to the SFC issue:
"it's basic though if you look at your subframe.
you overlay the pipe accross it, mark where it overlaps and cut that part of the subframe out. (Note, I think he meant the SFC.)
you can then put the charge pipe in and then weld the subframe back to it where you cut. so you still retain most of the subframe and it's original connection points.

please note this only applies to DD style as that is what I have. the other style I dont think there is much you could do but remove it."
For some reason, the charge pipe on my LT1 runs up the center of the car, so my tubular 2 point SFCs are fine. But I don't think that I could use DDs.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
some people make blanket statements without having actually spent any time in the cockpit of an STS car.
Peace.

more like ALL people do this!! i was told that my STS would be LAGGY because of my LT's and i'm not wrapped, but the turbo starts spooling at 2k rpms... and when people say that "it takes time for the boost to go thru all the pipes...." well the turbo is always blowin air thru all those pipes, so when it starts spool faster, the lag everyone is talkin about is what, 1/2 second longer than a front mount?? anyone who has driven an STS car knows that lag is not an issue at all, unless they are spoolin a huge *** turbo or somethin...

the lowered issue: that car domain pic the eLTWERKER posted is of my car. This was BEFORE i adusted it!! the turbo AND charge pipe sit up much higher now! it can be installed withOUT low ground clearance!!! not everyone can get it right the first time, as i still have some adjusting!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
more like ALL people do this!! i was told that my STS would be LAGGY because of my LT's and i'm not wrapped, but the turbo starts spooling at 2k rpms... and when people say that "it takes time for the boost to go thru all the pipes...." well the turbo is always blowin air thru all those pipes, so when it starts spool faster, the lag everyone is talkin about is what, 1/2 second longer than a front mount?? anyone who has driven an STS car knows that lag is not an issue at all, unless they are spoolin a huge *** turbo or somethin...
Well half a second in terms of car control and also in terms of racing is no different to half a minute.

Also LAG is more than just the spool point, its what happens afer a stall period.

Example, you say your STS makes boost by 2000rpm, well if you lift off the throttle at 4500rpm (say when taking a corner/curve) and reapply WOT. What happens?

Well when you lifted off the gas pedal the exhaust flow dropped dramatically this an other factors effectivly stall the turbo. When you went back to WOT you need to wait for the exhaust gas flow to increase enough to spin the turbo fast enough to start producing boost again. With a rear mount it will take longer for the exhaust gas flow to bring the turbo back up to speed and because there is a greater distance from the tubro and the intake manifold it will again take longer before the compressed intake charge reaches it.

You simply can NOT aviod this.

On a high CR motor running lowish boost it's not such a bad thing as the motor while without boost (n/a) will still pull good and when on boost the % difference in HP is comparitivly small.

But up the boost, which usually means lowering the CR (so less n/a performance) and you'll have a more sluggish off boost motor and a larger percentage difference in on boost power.

This can make for a real handful to drive on the street and won't be ideal for roll racing.

At a track it's not such an issue as you can use things like a 2 step or use nitrous off the line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissin the STS and for some it's evidently a good setup. However in terms of physics it is flawed and will never be able to overcome some of its inherant design flaws.

Low boost street setup is IMO the best setup for it, in fact I actually intend to add such a turbo kit to my TR7 V8 when I get chance, but I'll only be looking at running fairly low boost on it.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Well half a second in terms of car control and also in terms of racing is no different to half a minute.

Also LAG is more than just the spool point, its what happens afer a stall period.

Example, you say your STS makes boost by 2000rpm, well if you lift off the throttle at 4500rpm (say when taking a corner/curve) and reapply WOT. What happens?

wait just a min there!! i was just mostly talkin about straight races and not taking any turns or letting off the throttle in mid race. yes, this is where the FMs have the advantage. the sts is flawed, but almost all turbo systems have their pros and cons... i've never driven a FM, so i have nothing to compare the spoolness to, but with my sts i think it spools pretty good for being 6 feet away from the motor!

Quick Reply: sts & sub frame connectors?