Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

why can't turbo th400 cars be dyno'd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andereck
I ran a powerglide in my small block street car for quite a while and some of my buddies gave me **** and said the car would be even quicker with a 3 speed. I picked up a great deal on a fresh 400 and had a friend disasseble it for a TCI brake. The powerglide was already running a turbo spline converter and I borrowed a crossmember and driveshaft from a friend for the 400 in the Camaro.

Driving the car was a bit more fun with an extra gear but I didn't dig the reverse pattern and 2nd gear overrun was weird. The TCI brake will apply reverse in any shifter position, including park!

Dragstrip performance was disappointing but expected. The car went only .05 quicker and lost 1.5 mph. In my way of thinking what I gained in ratio I lost in parasitic drag. I just love the powerglide I suppose and they're dirt simple. Your mom could put one together.
Actually TH400s are pretty easy, little more manhandling then a glide but no special tools needed like a 350.

I have a fair amount of lightened parts in the 400 in here (aluminum direct drum, forward drum and light reaction carrier) but its still 45lbs heavier overall then a glide I woulg guess. I have the parts to switch over to a glide but I know my 60 foots are going to suffer if I dont use the trans brake. Right now I 60 foot almost exactly the same on or off the brake, most of the time messing around just trying things I'll just foot brake the car isnstead of whacking it on the brake every time.

Six of one/half dozen of the other.. If I go to a 4" stroke I'll probbaly do the glide though..
Old 02-21-2007, 07:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXNV
guys, imo, dynos are for tuning. the 1320 numbers tell "the rest of the story".
The thread starter's (and my own) tuner says he can not tune our TH400 turbo cars on a dyno. He says the turbos will not load and spool the same way they do on the street......or something like that. DYNO NUMBERS ARE NOT THE CONCERN.

I am just worried about tuning my 9 second car on the street. Not only will I have to be on my full slicks.....I still don't think I will get traction in high gear on high boost....on a dusty ol' street.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got quite an investment in your 400. I know the aluminum parts are not cheap. I ran a vasco superset 1.89 planetary in the glide after killing a couple 1.82's and a 1.76 and I think it was a good investment. The stock case has no place in our cars and now the aftermarket cases are inexpensive you have to have one. If for no more reason than to get rid of the shields. I'm back on the stick game now but secretly think a powerglide will be back in the car at some point.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
The thread starter's (and my own) tuner says he can not tune our TH400 turbo cars on a dyno. He says the turbos will not load and spool the same way they do on the street......or something like that. DYNO NUMBERS ARE NOT THE CONCERN.

I am just worried about tuning my 9 second car on the street. Not only will I have to be on my full slicks.....I still don't think I will get traction in high gear on high boost....on a dusty ol' street.
Mustang dyno.

You can get fairly close even on a dynojet, PSJ's car has a turbo + TH400 and they tuned it. they also tuned LstLS1's car and he ran in the 8s so I assume its possible.

Its hard to tune a fast car on the street even with some good data recording unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

If the guy doesnt want to tune I'm sure there is someone close to you who will, otherwise just have to do it yourself. Hit a light test and tune day at the track and have at it, thats how I do it
Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love my glide....
No problem spooling the turbo on the dyno either.....
Doesnt eat as much HP as stated above.....
The 2 main plus's i chose it for are.......
Can be build to handle the same amount of HP as a Built 400 for 1/2 the price...
the 1.80 1st gear really helps the car on the launch.....(Turbo Car that is)
I talked with Carl Rossler about it for quite a while.....
The car its self weighs around 3300-3350.... then + my 220lB @$$
Not a problem at all on the street....
Kyle

Last edited by NA$TY-TA; 02-21-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by andereck
You've got quite an investment in your 400. I know the aluminum parts are not cheap. I ran a vasco superset 1.89 planetary in the glide after killing a couple 1.82's and a 1.76 and I think it was a good investment. The stock case has no place in our cars and now the aftermarket cases are inexpensive you have to have one. If for no more reason than to get rid of the shields. I'm back on the stick game now but secretly think a powerglide will be back in the car at some point.
I dont have that much in the trans, lot of used parts from days gone by, had to buy the direct drum and that was it, forward drum is about wore out thats why I use the brake only for heads up stuff usually. I have a JW bellhousing and a blanket and I hate the blanket. I have an aftermarket gearset 1.76 glide but I want to swap it into a good aftermarket case and eliminate the shields which wont fit in this car anyhow.

Sorry for the hijack guys, but its still trans talk
Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Mustang dyno.
Our tuner uses a dyno pak on M6 cars....and street tunes stalled TH400 cars.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
I love my glide....
The 2 main plus's i chose it for are.......
Cant be build to handle the same amount of HP as a Built 400 for 1/2 the price...
the 1.80 1st gear really helps the car on the launch....
It cant be buillt to handle the same? I thought it could...but 1/2 the price?
And with the 1.80 1st, doesnt it still want to pull the wheels? I imagine not as much as a 400 but can still pull them up, right?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:21 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Our tuner uses a dyno pak on M6 cars....and street tunes stalled TH400 cars.
I'm not familiar with the dynapack, maybe they just dont load as much as even a dynojet. Toss him the keys then and have him call you when he's done
Old 02-21-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6techniques
It cant be buillt to handle the same? I thought it could...but 1/2 the price?
And with the 1.80 1st, doesnt it still want to pull the wheels? I imagine not as much as a 400 but can still pull them up, right?

Sorry meant to say CAN... CAN be built....
Well almost 1/2..... A TH400 from Rossler rated at 1500HP is almost $5K
The Glide to do the same is almost $3K

Does this answer your last Question?????
Soft 1.45 60'

Kyle
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

you'll never be perfect street wise. i for one think you, with all the torque your turbos are makin, you will be much happier with a p-glide. your boost will get you through the long gears. if you want a street terror, go with a nutso m6 build. tall, tall, tall rear gear and trans gears to suit.

though, i have never heard of these issues with a th400 on a dyno. most of the "old school" guys (like me) run the th400 on our street/strip cars. i know to burn in the box in second but that is about all i know about that. if i had serious questions about this i would look up TCI and other top end trans builders. but alot of this seems like wives tales to me. fwiw.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would imagine he could still get the car to make boost on the dyno, my personal car made 19 psi at redline. If the driver would have footbraked the car or anything to help it spool I think it would have been close. Enough to get it to the track anyways.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

let me get this strait when i do a burn out start off in 2nd gear and then shift to 3rd at the track and street?? i cant amagin starting in second to burn the tires wouldnt that hurt something??
Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr_president
let me get this strait when i do a burn out start off in 2nd gear and then shift to 3rd at the track and street?? i cant amagin starting in second to burn the tires wouldnt that hurt something??
Yes, get the tires spinning in 2nd and shift to 3rd and come out of the water. With no water on the street it may be a little rough to get it spinning in 2nd gear. I sometimes use 1-2-3 but I paid the price last year Only took a few hours to fix but cleaning all the metal out of the trans was a pain at home
Old 02-21-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Sorry meant to say CAN... CAN be built....
Well almost 1/2..... A TH400 from Rossler rated at 1500HP is almost $5K
The Glide to do the same is almost $3K

Does this answer your last Question?????
Soft 1.45 60'
Kyle
lol, I knew what you meant.
And yes, that pic more than answers my last question!
PM pending
Old 02-21-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Gah. I didn't know any of this stuff. At all. This is all new to me. Good info in this thread. Wow.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:14 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Gah. I didn't know any of this stuff. At all. This is all new to me. Good info in this thread. Wow.
Its fairly common knowledge about removing the front band and shifting into 2nd, now a C4 its recommended you do 2nd gear burnouts and other transmissions differ. Different valve bodies vary as well, the TCI valve body I use says its ok to put in 2nd to neutralize, some warn against it.

Also there is this warning about letting off the throttle hard in 2nd at high rpm right from TCI's VB instructions:

"Do not shut down motor while in second gear with engine rpm above 6000 rpm. Repeatedly doing this may cause severe damage to transmission and bodily harm. A TCI 980000 Aluminum Trans.Shield is highly recommended for this application"

Bodily harm = bad
Old 02-21-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Downshifting and flooring it is OK, some valve bodies will 'nuetralize' in 2nd and its ok to stick it in 2nd at speed. Pretty much accelerating and letting off in 2nd is the worst thng to do. Also do your burnouts 2-3, not 1-2-3. I would not put the car in 2nd from 3rd unless I was applying some throttle though, its nothing new really and most can get away with doing it hundreds of times but all it takes is once when everything is just right.

No reason to be scared, just get in the habit of putting it in high gear after blasting in 2nd and try to avoid 140mph downshifts into 2nd..
So let's say I trap 140mph + in the 1/4 mile, Should I just use the foot brake and then downshift once im at a slower speed ?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:33 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
So let's say I trap 140mph + in the 1/4 mile, Should I just use the foot brake and then downshift once im at a slower speed ?
Thats what I do, even though they say its ok to put this in 2nd (nuetral shutdown), most tracks I run at are very short and the extra engine braking helps a little. It does stress the engine more, connecting rods are made to pushed together and not pulled apart and on a loose race engine you will pull some oil into the chambers.

I never felt comfortable clicking this shifter one notch (it has no stop between 3-1) at 140+ but I have in other cars.

But its OK to put in 2nd going 30mph or whatever and accelerate or even coast at lower speeds. Biggest no no is winding it up high in 2nd and dumping the throttle without shifting to third or coming out of the burnout at 6500rpm in 2nd and letting the tires 'grab.' Keep doing that and you may see what a trans blanket is for.

Doing 1-2-3 in the burnout will roll over the sprag like in the pic and you will lose 2nd gear but it wont explode usually..

Not trying to scare anyone, some people can do all the wrong stuff driving a TH400 and have zero issues, but why overstress parts when you dont have to. At 1000hp things are going to wear out and break on their own, no reason to help it along
Old 02-21-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah no kidding...FI, Auto, or whatever else I haven't found as good of information about the TH400 and PG as this single thread... Good thing too since I'm switching to a TH400 very soon... THanks guys for all of your expertise...

Quick Reply: why can't turbo th400 cars be dyno'd?