Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI Horror Stories..Have them?? POST THEM!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my horror story was this. My car was tuned too lean, it was tuned for 12:1 on a dyno in the heat 85 degrees, well when i went to race it and this was when i was at 9-10 lbs in 50 degree weather , it leaned out and broke a ringland. the car was running so damn strong too! 11.2 at 120 shifting at 6 grand.

my car was down for damn near a year till i had enough cash to get a forged block done.

Tune it a little fat! that's all i gotta say! Let someone tune your FI car who REALLY KNOWS how tune for Forced Induction...

Last edited by Got Me SOM; 02-27-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:56 AM
10 Second Club

well heres my storey.... got the car of my dreams LS1 S/C SS hood the works!!!!!!! i got to drive it for about 3 weeks and then got sent to iraq........ THEN IV HAD TO READ ABOUT ALL YALLS CARS WHILE MINE SET AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah man i cant wait to get home and that **** then im sure ill have all kinds of **** to wright here!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
well heres my storey.... got the car of my dreams LS1 S/C SS hood the works!!!!!!! i got to drive it for about 3 weeks and then got sent to iraq........ THEN IV HAD TO READ ABOUT ALL YALLS CARS WHILE MINE SET AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah man i cant wait to get home and that **** then im sure ill have all kinds of **** to wright here!!!
Yeah I hear ya! Good Luck!! And come home safe!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

thanks buddy i will
Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Not an LS1 but a GM FI example. I came to the LS1 world after owning a Buick T-Type. On those cars the air cleaner and very old school MAF are near the front corner of the car and pass to the turbo, the intercooler, then the throttle body. Throttle response was always poor due to the huge length from the MAF to the TB. A lot of guys started using LT1 and later LS1 MAFs jammed up against the TB and it improved throttle response tremendously.

One guy heard about the idea and tried to relocate his factory plastic (note: brittle plastic) and impossible to replace MAF near the TB. Now its pressurized in that location. He just got to the point of noticing how good the car was going to run when.....BAM..... exploded the MAF all over the engine. He posted some pictures, got laughed at a lot.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

man that sucks!!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

Well after I get the F1C on the car and get it tuned, everythings great, get about 100 or so miles on it, just messing around in the higher RPM ranges and 2 of the brand new 918 springs break and DINK, BOOM.. Busted block head pretty much nothing salvageable..
Old 03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

now that sucks. that f1 with the 402 you're building should be NUTZ FUN to drive!

Definitely go with double valve springs!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

How high were spinning the motor on the 918s?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-02-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

How bout mine

1. Put deposit down
2. leave car at shop for 1 year for kit to be built, pick car up
3. wait 2 years for production kit
4. bring car back to shop, wait 6 months for install
5. pick car up, drive 20 miles and get hit with a monsoon in NM!! Turn on wipers, wipers hit each other and break(re-installed wrong at shop), drive 5 hrs in monsoon with no wipers, bald nittos, and first time with 550+rwhp.
6. Get home next day turn car on for test drive, battery is dead,inspect battery, find out optima was switched for cheap worn AC delco at shop
7. Now worried about this shops integrity, take car to get inspected on lift. find more switched parts, and find tons of half-***, dangerous and incorrect work( it would take 30pages for details)
8.takes 100+hrs to fix all shops mistakes
9. Hopefully drive and enjoy real soon
Old 03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PM the name of the shop
Old 03-02-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nmp27
Well after I get the F1C on the car and get it tuned, everythings great, get about 100 or so miles on it, just messing around in the higher RPM ranges and 2 of the brand new 918 springs break and DINK, BOOM.. Busted block head pretty much nothing salvageable..
**** that sucks!!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

you probably aren't looking for lt1 info but.. i went through 3 sets of head gaskets (in under 100 miles) with the vortec s-trim blower (non intercooled) and then sold the car went ls1 on the gas.. best moved yet IMO. then again im currently a freshman in college and i dont have the money it takes to do FI correctly.. the biggest key to making forced induction work with as few problems as possible is to not be on a budget....
Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 AM
Launching!

wow this story about the shop stealing parts is a joke. it seems to happen all too often. and when it comes to FI DONT RUN LEANNN
Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was 35mi from home visiting a girl I was dating for awhile. Took her to dinner and planned on hanging out afterwards.

Braided steel turbo coolant line frayed on the steering shaft. Came out from dinner, started driving and wham! Temp through the ******* roof! All the coolant had drained out of the motor. After 3.5 hours of waiting for the car to cool down, start it back up, blast down the street, shut it down, coast.....<repeat>.......involving a lot of wrong turns, and some deadends, I finally made it back to her place. She was surprisingly cool about the whole situation, I was not. lol

I stayed there overnight, filled it up with dexcool and made it home the next day. Got into my driveway then it overheated again.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mahhddgtp
Read any 2000 Tran Zam post.... . No insult to him, he'll even admit he has terrible luck so far.
No **** huh

Hmmm, where do I start?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

now im in a truck but still i havent had any problems thus far........ mine is a custom rearmount set-up. i love it.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
At least you're not alone Ricky! BTW, there better not be many horror stories for you to write about.....since I'm helping do the $hit work and tuning!!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well, it's not the "worst", but here's my "ordeal":

Got my STS kit used for $3500 w/ injectors, etc. Installed and had a re-programmed PCM installed. Car ran great the first day, but was pig-rich. Exhaust looked like a$$ too. So, next day got the exhaust fixed up. Then the PCM starts giving a crank position error code. Went to 5 different shops before a Honda shop of all places fixed it for $5. Then it began shooting oil into the intake and hosed the MAF in oil. Cleaned all that out. Then I blew one of the switches. Had to clean oil out of the intake again. Then I melted a wire for the pressure switch. Had to clean oil out of the whole #$%^ system a 3rd time. Then I went to the track and my pressure plate bolts backed off the clutch on the first run. Drove home in 3rd gear. More oil in the intake from a loose wire connector on the pump. Said screw it and soldered everything. Finally fixed the oil problems, but broke an ABS line in the process! AGGH!! Then the car was starving for fuel. Added a FPR. Then it was pig rich again. Ordered HP Tuners. Found out the "custom PCM" was a stock tune with PE set to 10 to 1 AFR & 42lb injectors !! Had one week to learn HP Tuners and unscrew the tune. Finally, everything was working good. Car felt good. Track in Hawaii was now permanently closed, so I never got a good run outta it. Then I was off to Iraq within a week of getting everything running nice Car's now in Seattle sitting in the in-laws garage. All this was in a 4-month period.

It goes on. Going back to Hawaii but can't ship the car back...will only be there for a couple months. Sending car to TRT to finish some little things off while I'm gone....and upgrade some other things Won't even get to see it worked on. I will finally get to drive her again in November or December. Such is my horror story.......
Old 03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '02 Z28 MN6 with ATI D-1SC:

A mere 3 trips to the track and some "other" racing = one annihilated McLeod Twin Disk, one complete trashing of the T-56, and one case of mild damage on the rebuilt T-56 that still needs to be fixed (3/4 synchro teeth got gnashed).

McLeod graciously sent a replacement clutch for free. I just had to pay shipping.

But said that is the first and last time they will do that.

Have an Ed Wright tune that has kept my motor safe and in one piece.

Quick Reply: FI Horror Stories..Have them?? POST THEM!!