Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 528 Likes on 372 Posts

The part you are missing is the fun factor of having instant boost availability. Some people are big fans of huge off-idle torque. I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of different boost and torque curves, I'm just explaining why some people are attracted to roots or twin screws.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'd choose roots over anything. And it's pretty easy to swap out pullies for more also.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twinscrew is almost perfect except you can't run an A2A FMIC due to the packaging. Best of both worlds if you could...

Jim
Old 03-24-2007, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
The part you are missing is the fun factor of having instant boost availability. Some people are big fans of huge off-idle torque. I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of different boost and torque curves, I'm just explaining why some people are attracted to roots or twin screws.
exactly,

I am a big fan of instant power........i have been running nitrous for a couple of years....so the roots style blower is very intriguing to me. The big motor torque hitting well below 3000rpm and not having to spin it to the moon is great in "my eyes". Plus you can run a high gear 3.42/3.73 (M6) and have more than enough grunt to roost the tires or get down the track and still get good gas mileage.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand why everyone is so interested in a roots style blower instead of the centrifugal? It would seem to me that for what the roots style kit costs, you could buy an intercooled centrifugal kit and not have the headaches of metal work and what not. Not to mention the ability to upgrade to a larger blower with ease when you need more power. Of the roots blown LS1's I've seen, none are making ultra-impressive power. I think a local C5 is making 550 RWHP with one on a H/C motor through an M6. The base ATI kit will get you close to that on a stock motor!

Maybe I'm missing something?
The Maggie is a sweet "Torque Monster" and makes for a good package, but I opted for the centrifugal which will yield more HP. Check my Sig below.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:30 AM
TECH Veteran

My car is the one at Ed's shop right now. I decided to go with this setup for several reasons. Most of all I wanted low end torque, not to run over 6000 RPM's just to hit peak numbers to look good in my sig. I want 500 RWTQ. I had a procharger and it was at the top of my list but this to me suits my needs. My C6 with the maggie on it was at 400 ft lbs at 2300 RPM's and went to 456 all the way through to 4500RPM's, the HP was at >450 at 4500RPM's all the way up to the rev limiter to 476RWHP. My C5 with the A&A Corvette P1SC kit with a FMIC made only 350 or so at that mark and did not hit 400 until almost 4000 RPM's. I want the power now not at the next light. I might add that the ATI did not peak at HP until 5800 or so and then fell off afterwords, and that was at 480. Also that kit on my C5 required me to chop the hell out of my front radiator support, there was more chopping and modding to my C5 then this kit. If you go big F/I something is getting cut trust me, unless you stick to the base kit.

BTW I priced a D1SC tuner kit with several different venders the best was around 5999-6300. That was without a Fuel Pump because it was a tuner kit. The P1SC complete kit with 4.5 intercoolers would be almost 7,000. I have no intensions of going over 550RWHP, My goal is at a minumum 500 RWTQ and at the moment those other kits would have cost me more in the long run to get that then this route. If I wanted to run higher HP, and shoot for bigger numbers I would have gone bigger cubes with a F1 or the new APS kit. This route made more sense to my pocket book and my needs.

These where my numbers on my previous kits I owned

C5 A&A Corvette P1SC FMIC Kit
Mods: stock LS1, intake, manifolds w/Z06 Catback
Power: 480RWHP/450RWTQ @ 10#'s of boost
Kit costs, 5,000 kit, 500 for Fuel system, and 450 for the tune total, clutch McLeod Twin disk (used 850) I installed everything total 6800.00 roughly

C6 Magnacharger
Mods: Kooks Headers with Catted Y, no other mods stock everything else
power: 478RWHP/456RWTQ @ 5#'s of boost
Cost: Bought from a forum memeber for 5000 Maggie (new) (included filter, fuel booster) headers 1,300 on sale, 600 hood, and 400 for paint so around 7000.

Would I do the ATI again. Yes. Would I do the Maggie again. Yes. Between the two I choose the Maggie.

Last edited by bd mnky; 03-25-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

sweet man good right up!! but you could have gotton the ATI set up cheaper
Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks.

yea normally i look for deals i rarely buy at cost through most venders, like now there is a D1SC kit in the for sale section. But, after I owned that maggie on the C6 I was hooked. I had 2 Radix's at one point I was going to put on my truck, but I decided to build a LS1 for it and just make the Camaro mean. After talking with Ed at LM Speed and looking at my goals I know I made the right choice.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadMonkey
My car is the one at Ed's shop right now. I decided to go with this setup for several reasons. Most of all I wanted low end torque, not to run over 6000 RPM's just to hit peak numbers to look good in my sig. I want 500 RWTQ. I had a procharger and it was at the top of my list but this to me suits my needs. My C6 with the maggie on it was at 400 ft lbs at 2300 RPM's and went to 456 all the way through to 4500RPM's, the HP was at >450 at 4500RPM's all the way up to the rev limiter to 476RWHP. My C5 with the A&A Corvette P1SC kit with a FMIC made only 350 or so at that mark and did not hit 400 until almost 4000 RPM's. I want the power now not at the next light. I might add that the ATI did not peak at HP until 5800 or so and then fell off afterwords, and that was at 480. Also that kit on my C5 required me to chop the hell out of my front radiator support, there was more chopping and modding to my C5 then this kit. If you go big F/I something is getting cut trust me, unless you stick to the base kit.

BTW I priced a D1SC tuner kit with several different venders the best was around 5999-6300. That was without a Fuel Pump because it was a tuner kit. The P1SC complete kit with 4.5 intercoolers would be almost 7,000. I have no intensions of going over 550RWHP, My goal is at a minumum 500 RWTQ and at the moment those other kits would have cost me more in the long run to get that then this route. If I wanted to run higher HP, and shoot for bigger numbers I would have gone bigger cubes with a F1 or the new APS kit. This route made more sense to my pocket book and my needs.

These where my numbers on my previous kits I owned

C5 A&A Corvette P1SC FMIC Kit
Mods: stock LS1, intake, manifolds w/Z06 Catback
Power: 480RWHP/450RWTQ @ 10#'s of boost
Kit costs, 5,000 kit, 500 for Fuel system, and 450 for the tune total, clutch McLeod Twin disk (used 850) I installed everything total 6800.00 roughly

C6 Magnacharger
Mods: Kooks Headers with Catted Y, no other mods stock everything else
power: 478RWHP/456RWTQ @ 5#'s of boost
Cost: Bought from a forum memeber for 5000 Maggie (new) (included filter, fuel booster) headers 1,300 on sale, 600 hood, and 400 for paint so around 7000.

Would I do the ATI again. Yes. Would I do the Maggie again. Yes. Between the two I choose the Maggie.
Pardon me if I am wrong, but I feel the comment highlighted in RED is at least partly directed at my post. FWIW, I love high rpm's, I wish I could rev to 10K. In addition I have a 346cid motor compared to your 364cid. Look at my dyno sheet and although it doesn't make torque early as the Maggie it does make 500rwtq at 4k rpm and 400rwtq at 3k rpm. At 2300rpm where yours makes 400rwtq, my setup still makes a respectable 340 rwtq. At 6k rpm where you make 478 rwhp I make 635rwhp. In addition, this is achieved with an A&A Vortech SQ S-Trim which is rated at 680 hp from the manufacturer while the P1SC is rated at 825 hp & the D1SC is rated at 925 HP. My results are at 9.4 psi max with peak numbers hp achieved at 6400rpm, the rest is just runoff so I don't bounce off the rev limiter. FOR THE RECORD, if you go back and read my post, I state IMO that the Maggie is a "Sweet Package" and a "Torque Monster". If someone is looking for 478/456 at the wheels with 364 cid then I guess the Maggie is the way to go, but next time think and don't get defensive before you state that someone is "running over 6k to hit peak numbers to look good in their sig".

Old 03-25-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually I was not pointing you out in any way what so ever. You have a strong setup and Andy has quaility kits. I am just pointing out what I saw with just my setups, not bashing anyone else. My main concern or any type of arguement would be with those who bash the Magnacharger and its price without ever owning one or compairing apple to apple compairisons with similar modes to show what little differnece there is between them on smaller type setups like I am shooting for. Most people jump to say that the potential for more HP makes the Magnacharger a lame duck because it falls out or does not go much over 600RWHP. Fact is probably 50% of people who buy these F/I kits do not exceed that amount, but are the first to preach about how much more potential others have but never use it. Without major mods meaning bigger cubes, FMIC's, fuel systems from hell, heads, cams, exhaust etc...... the others do not do much better if better at all. The maggie shines down low and the Centri's up top. If i lived in Kansas still I would have gone the ATI route again for its long open roads. Here in Kentucky I live in the back country a bit and running that high in the RPM's is not what I want to do coming out of the corners in the hills, and most of my challenges on the street are short runs. You know as well as I do from the Corvette Forum and other vette sites how that battle on the sig can get. It use to be pretty bad on here (still is too) with the Heads and cam market as well.

Sorry if I offended you in some way was not my intention at all. If it was not for talking with Ed at LM Speed, I would have been running a procharger no doubt. As a matter of fact, I had it all priced out with to go with a D1SC and forged 370. But I felt that this being my daily driver that would have been a bit much. FWIW we both prefer different power in the RPM bands, does not make me or you wrong or ignorant for our choice, its our car, f*** every one else
Old 03-25-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadMonkey
Actually I was not pointing you out in any way what so ever. You have a strong setup and Andy has quaility kits. I am just pointing out what I saw with just my setups, not bashing anyone else. My main concern or any type of arguement would be with those who bash the Magnacharger and its price without ever owning one or compairing apple to apple compairisons with similar modes to show what little differnece there is between them on smaller type setups like I am shooting for. Most people jump to say that the potential for more HP makes the Magnacharger a lame duck because it falls out or does not go much over 600RWHP. Fact is probably 50% of people who buy these F/I kits do not exceed that amount, but are the first to preach about how much more potential others have but never use it. Without major mods meaning bigger cubes, FMIC's, fuel systems from hell, heads, cams, exhaust etc...... the others do not do much better if better at all. The maggie shines down low and the Centri's up top. If i lived in Kansas still I would have gone the ATI route again for its long open roads. Here in Kentucky I live in the back country a bit and running that high in the RPM's is not what I want to do coming out of the corners in the hills, and most of my challenges on the street are short runs. You know as well as I do from the Corvette Forum and other vette sites how that battle on the sig can get. It use to be pretty bad on here (still is too) with the Heads and cam market as well.

Sorry if I offended you in some way was not my intention at all. If it was not for talking with Ed at LM Speed, I would have been running a procharger no doubt. As a matter of fact, I had it all priced out with to go with a D1SC and forged 370. But I felt that this being my daily driver that would have been a bit much. FWIW we both prefer different power in the RPM bands, does not make me or you wrong or ignorant for our choice, its our car, f*** every one else
All is cool Bro I am one for the "Total Package" and believe for a DD, a Maggie is "The ****". My car is not my DD, I drive a Truck(Silverado). On top of that, IMHO nothing beats the looks of a polished Maggie. I am happy with my setup and you are happy with yours, when you are in the drivers seat that is all that matters. Happy Motoring
Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
I don't know why everyone thinks the KB is taller than the Eaton. I got the measurements from Ed for the intercooled Eaton and it is about 10" tall from valley to top (unfortunately I don't have any pics of that). But I do have pictures showing that the KB unit is 9.5" tall from valley to top. So if the Eaton can fit SO CAN THE KENNE BELL!
So if this is the case Ed, why havent you tried this YET!?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
So if this is the case Ed, why havent you tried this YET!?

Becuase I don't have a KB or a 122 or TVS or any of the other bigger units, but I do have several 112 kits!

I will be doing a bigger blower as soon as I can get one from Magnuson, but I don't know when that will be. Feel free to check with me periodically if you like,
Ed

Quick Reply: Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???