Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC's..T/A no cutting bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Here is what I did a while back, works for me. Built to take place of the air dam. Not any lower than the deflectors on the procharger coolers.
So the front edge is a wedge shape to push the air up and then the upper scoop forces the air down through the fins?

Is that better than moving the intercooler higher and putting a scoop on the bottom side forcing the air to go up?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.... 3 intercoolers. what pressure loss? and wow again! lol.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the two on the side would be considered pre-intercoolers? If I understand the setup correctly, each side intercooler feeds the inlet on the front of the middle intercooler. Then the outlet is the center pipe at the back of the middle intercooler. This would entail some type of a y-pipe to split the output of the blower/turbo, correct?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The air enters in from the rear. Then splits off, and out on the ends. To the inlets of the side coolers and then out the back and up.
Made this intercooler to take place of the (Y) pipe off of the blower.

As to the other questions, the front is angled a bit to act as a air dam. With the mounting flange to help direct the air, in down and through the top.

Car has been down for a while know. Broke a ring gland just prior to the install. Installed a 2 chnl temp probe one at the inlet of the cooler shown here.

Have not had a chance to log any temps yet. Can say at a highway cruise they were very close to ambient if not just a few degs above. With a few heavy hits on the throttle around town I would see 60-70 deg above ambient.

Now for pressure I have not been able to do a wot run. I might have lost 1-2 psi. Not a problem for me due to the motor still stock. Will know more once it is back up and running. I would rather loose a bit of pressure vs the heat.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, 618HAWK. For a simpler install such as mine, I could just use an IC with a (let's say) left input, right output, angled down in front, air dam welded on, and see some reduction of IATs. I only need 40-60 F, so this install should do the trick. And if I understand correctly, the air dam doubles as a mounting bracket. Very kool.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think something that small would support the HP. How much would just that center IC flow (hp wise)?

Quick Reply: FMIC's..T/A no cutting bumper