Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth options

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meth options

Ok guys, befor you are too hard on me, let me just say I am new to FI.

My question is: Is it posibel to us N2O to cool intake temps instead of using meth? Posibly a small dry shot? I have an 04 C5 that is soon to have an A&A prochager kit on it. My last set up was on a 98 Camero , basicaly boltons and N2O.

I know that nitrous and supercharged on a stock bottom wont last, but im not trying to gain power from the nitrous. I just have all the nitrous stuff still, and wondered if anyone has tried to use it in this type aplication befor?

Thanks,
LionelC-5
Old 04-18-2007, 10:01 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with N2O is that it leans out the A/F ratio as opposed to meth which richens it up. If you have the fuel system to supplement it tho, it can work quite nicely. Just be careful...
Old 04-18-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

The way I understand it...

Nitrous increases peak cylinder pressures just like boost, therefore combining the two also compounds the detonation problem.

It will however, cool the intake charge tremendously. So a small shot, used properly, can work similarly to meth in the cooling aspect. So much so that Ive seen FI cars with a 50shot pick up 75hp.

But because they both increase power by raising peak cylinder pressures, you will need to retard timing and supply more fuel when using the N2O. Conversely, methanol cools the charge, does not increase cylinder pressures, adds octane, and slows the burn rate of the A/F mixture allowing the use of more timing and less fuel (gasoline)safely.

Another option that gets interesting is using methanol instead of gasoline as the fuel part of a wet shot... We can delve into that later.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:48 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd use a kit from Julio @ alkycontrol.com. They offer a progressive system that hooks to your MAP sensor that allows your alcohol delivery to be linear with the boost. There are guys running straight alcohol without an intercooler and thats good enough for me. On my car Alcohol injection + intercooler was the best way to go.
Phil
Old 04-18-2007, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help. I am just trying to understand all my options here. I want to be safe , and cost effective. If it is posible to do those together that is.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Meth injection

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I'd use a kit from Julio @ alkycontrol.com. They offer a progressive system that hooks to your MAP sensor that allows your alcohol delivery to be linear with the boost. There are guys running straight alcohol without an intercooler and thats good enough for me. On my car Alcohol injection + intercooler was the best way to go.
Phil
I posted a question about that in another thread. Using meth injection without intercoolers on the ATI Prochargers. Do you have any specifics on this? performance numbers, boost maximum on pump gas, etc. Looking for someone who is doing it successfully.
Thanks,
Old 04-20-2007, 04:26 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
I posted a question about that in another thread. Using meth injection without intercoolers on the ATI Prochargers. Do you have any specifics on this? performance numbers, boost maximum on pump gas, etc. Looking for someone who is doing it successfully.
Thanks,
What kind of information are you looking for? The guys I know that are not running intercoolers are not running pump gas, they are running straight methanol.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use windshield washer fluid the same as Meth. It's cheap, and gets the job done all as well.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:23 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Windshield washer fluid is not the same as meth. It also is not consistant in the alcohol/ water mix ratio either. Not something good for tuning. No way I'm trusting $10k+ worth of motor parts to washer fluid!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Windshield washer fluid is not the same as meth. It also is not consistant in the alcohol/ water mix ratio either. Not something good for tuning. No way I'm trusting $10k+ worth of motor parts to washer fluid!
I'm with you on that.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club

Default Meth

What kind of information are you looking for? The guys I know that are not running intercoolers are not running pump gas, they are running straight methanol.
O.K., that answers my question. I am interested in a 'pump gas' combo.
Anyone you know running a F1A on a 403" with a 7.250" crank pulley and a 4.250" blowewr pulley. Having gone with the tensioner set-up this is the 'slowest' I can spin the supercharger. I think it may be a more than I want.

BTW, I have decided to go with a FMIC set-up.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you want to sping the blower slower?
Especially if your gonna run a FMIC setup...
If it were me, Id want every available HP I could get, so Id max that F1-A right out with the pulley combo and spray methanol into the stream after the intercooler. Then we'd be talking about a Monster!

There are Mustang guys around here running D1sc's without intercoolers. They run 100octane and alot of meth injection to cool it all off.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

Default F1a

Originally Posted by Fire67
Why would you want to sping the blower slower?
Especially if your gonna run a FMIC setup...
If it were me, Id want every available HP I could get, so Id max that F1-A right out with the pulley combo and spray methanol into the stream after the intercooler. Then we'd be talking about a Monster!

There are Mustang guys around here running D1sc's without intercoolers. They run 100octane and alot of meth injection to cool it all off.

I don't know for sure but based on what I read on these forums a 'maxed' F1A on this 403 would place me well over 20+psi. I don't think I am ready for that, yet nor or my head gaskets. lol
My plan is to have a reliable, fast 'street' car (mid 10's) that my wife could drive to the grocery store.
I figured somewhere around the 12 psi mark would do it and should easily do the moderate 60'ftrs needed for 10's. 12 psi is looking like it would be hard to do with this F1A - too hard to slow down unless I shift it at 5000 RPM.

Having a goal is important and to stay focused is sometimes hard. Being bit by the horsepower bug is addicting and expensive. But if you never get it all together or it is constantly breaking what fun is all of it. Moderation at first with room for growth is my plan. I am trying to buy all the right pieces to only do things one time and be able to make the changes 'down the road' to satisfy the ongoing performance craze. I want every dime of pleasure for the money I have spent, otherwise you have to ask yourself 'is it really worth it'?

Once it becomes a 'full out' race car its enjoyment because limited. Besides I already have a real race car

Thanks for the info on the Mustangs, I was initially wanting to take a lesser dollar way out because I knew the twin 4.5" ATI intercoolers were not sufficient for this package or correct for that matter , so I thought by eliminating them and using meth I could make the combo more efficient. I realized it doesn't suit my needs for a pump gas street car, so I went with the FMIC. I just wish I would have done more homework and talked with some guys who had been doing what I was planning to build first.

Second mistake, or maybe not, was sending the tensioner to SDCE. now instead of running the 4.75" blower pulley I have to run a 4.25" (largest that will fit on the spring tensioner set-up), although the crank pulley is smaller too. In the end it will still be running a little faster than the initial ATI set-up that was figured to make between 12-13 psi (guesstimate)

Some guys on here are making 15psi with the F1A and a 4.75"/7.625" diameter set-up on the 403's

No worry, sold the twins for the cost of the FMIC. On the right track now

Last edited by helicoil; 04-25-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Phil
How much was the meth kit for the fourth gen? Do you have any pics of it installed?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Just run an Alky control kit with 100% meth and raise the boost. No need for Nitrous.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Just run an Alky control kit with 100% meth and raise the boost. No need for Nitrous.
Thats my plan.. but..ummm traction comse into play.. big circle were in Slow !
Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Banned

the elky control kit is very nice