Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fluttering past 6K rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Initially you say its a fluttering sound, and now you are saying the car is spluttering ??

Which is it, or is it both ?

The fluttering could be perhaps the compressor is too big for your setup ? ( ie compressor surge ? )
Sorry, it sputters past 6K and dosen't hold boost.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

So from what your saying your having this problem ever since the manual Boost Controller went on........ take it back off and see if the problem is still there......
Can you turn the boost down to say 12 psi and try that..... start at 10 psi and slowly work your way up.....
Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
So from what your saying your having this problem ever since the manual Boost Controller went on........ take it back off and see if the problem is still there......
Can you turn the boost down to say 12 psi and try that..... start at 10 psi and slowly work your way up.....
With the boost controller on and turned all the way down the car makes 14 lbs. I'm going to borrow my friends controller and see if the problem is fixed.

Thanks for the help everyone.

John
Old 04-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd think it was either the boost controller or since the BC enables the turbo to put out more boost before the WG opens, maybe 12-14psi is to point that valve closed seat pressure isn't high enough to keep the valves closed.
Shouldn't a BC allow you the user to turn it ALL the way down acting as though it weren't there?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Maybe you can increase the dwell time of the coils via HPT, maybe the sparking is blowing out.

But I think a lot of guys are not running enough spring pressure for max turbo efforts, read up on what Intmd8 says regarding spring pressure in threads.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

it almost sounds like compressor surge but that usually only happens in lower portions of the RPM when the engine can't move the CFM or air the turbo is putting out.

Does this flutter happen in every gear or just on the highway?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost
it almost sounds like compressor surge but that usually only happens in lower portions of the RPM when the engine can't move the CFM or air the turbo is putting out.

Does this flutter happen in every gear or just on the highway?
It happens in all the gears at about 6K rpms and up.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

If you load the engine and say leave it in a lower gear... and hold it at 6k, and start pushing it a little, does it sputter then? And by sputter, are cylinders dropping out?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
If you load the engine and say leave it in a lower gear... and hold it at 6k, and start pushing it a little, does it sputter then? And by sputter, are cylinders dropping out?
I haven't tried loading the engine at that rpm, I usually notice it at wot.

I fixed the problem it ended up being the wastegate refrence line wasn't a big enough vacum source.

Yesterday I had the car dyno'd and when I turned the boost up a lb on the manual boost controller the problem occured again? Do you guys think that it might be the controller? Everything seemed to work fine now that I relocated the wastegate line up untill I turned the **** on the controller.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can't blame a boost controller for the car stumbling when you turn the boost up . A manual boost controller has nothing to do with the issues you have, neither does the size of the wastegate line.

How are the wires on it? How old? FI cars are brutally hard on plugs and wires and if it only shows up when you turn the boost up, it sounds like it is blowing the spark out. If you pull the plugs, you should be able to see a darker plug on the cylinder(s) that is(are) acting up. Also, make sure the wires are on all the way- I see several LSx f bodies with issues due to the installer not snapping the wire on all the say because of how hard it is to reach them.
Joe
Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
You can't blame a boost controller for the car stumbling when you turn the boost up . A manual boost controller has nothing to do with the issues you have, neither does the size of the wastegate line.

How are the wires on it? How old? FI cars are brutally hard on plugs and wires and if it only shows up when you turn the boost up, it sounds like it is blowing the spark out. If you pull the plugs, you should be able to see a darker plug on the cylinder(s) that is(are) acting up. Also, make sure the wires are on all the way- I see several LSx f bodies with issues due to the installer not snapping the wire on all the say because of how hard it is to reach them.
Joe
The plugs are only about a month old and the wires about 5 months.

What really bothers me is that when I changed the wastegate refrence to the brake booster it held 14 lbs to 65000 rpms and didn't flutter. Before I changed the refrence it would flutter past 6K and the boost droped to 12lbs.

BTW: My plugs are gapped at .030 NGK's.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could have just been coincidence. The MBC is not going to make it sputter- the boost level will- if it is blowing out the spark. I don't know how close the plug boots are to the headers/manifolds, but 5 months is plenty old enough for it to have cooked a wire from the extreme heat of a turbo setup if they are close.
Joe
Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could have just been coincidence. The MBC is not going to make it sputter- the boost level will- if it is blowing out the spark. I don't know how close the plug boots are to the headers/manifolds, but 5 months is plenty old enough for it to have cooked a wire from the extreme heat of a turbo setup if they are close.
Joe
My wires only have about 100 miles on them and their aftermarket JBA wires.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

So? What does that have to do with "how close are they to the manifolds?" ? I can kill a wire pulling up the street if it is hitting the manifold on a turbo car. Are you sure they are snapped on all the way? Not "yeah, I put them on so I think they're ok", but "ok, I pulled them all of, used dielectric grease and reseated them, so they're all good now".

You have to realize- the pressures in the cylinders under boost are obscene and the spark will take the path of least resistance. If you have a bad plug, burned/cooked wire, wire not seated all the way, etc., it will misfire under boost due to the spark not making the jump in the plug gap. Not saying this is it, but 9 out of 10 times on a turbo car, a misfire under boost that gets better at lower boost levels is an ignition issue (assuming your tune is good).
Joe
Old 05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

It is not a boost control problem.

What sort of coil dwell times are you using ?, or perhaps you just have a bad coil or 2 somewhere ?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

So? What does that have to do with "how close are they to the manifolds?" ? I can kill a wire pulling up the street if it is hitting the manifold on a turbo car. Are you sure they are snapped on all the way? Not "yeah, I put them on so I think they're ok", but "ok, I pulled them all of, used dielectric grease and reseated them, so they're all good now".

You have to realize- the pressures in the cylinders under boost are obscene and the spark will take the path of least resistance. If you have a bad plug, burned/cooked wire, wire not seated all the way, etc., it will misfire under boost due to the spark not making the jump in the plug gap. Not saying this is it, but 9 out of 10 times on a turbo car, a misfire under boost that gets better at lower boost levels is an ignition issue (assuming your tune is good).
Joe
The wires have heat sleeves on them and are postioned just like stock. I know what you're saying about spark and least resistance. If I was getting any sort of misfire I'm sure it would trigger a code if that was the case, I could be wrong.

Like I said before the problem went away when I relocated my vacum source for the wastegate. I'm wondering if theres a connection with the wastegate?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is not a boost control problem.

What sort of coil dwell times are you using ?, or perhaps you just have a bad coil or 2 somewhere ?
Maybe...I did get a lot of oil spewage on a few of the pack before from my damn pcv

I actually did get a service engine soon light a few days ago? I think I need to go scan the car and see what comes up
Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
Like I said before the problem went away when I relocated my vacum source for the wastegate. I'm wondering if theres a connection with the wastegate?
But it hasnt went away...its still doing it ?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

But it hasnt went away...its still doing it ?
It went away untill I turned the boost up a lb yesterday.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure it's an ignition problem now. I just got done scanning the car and I got these codes.

P0351-P0358 "Ignition coil X primary/secondary circuit malfunction A-H"

Quick Reply: Fluttering past 6K rpms?