Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Nitrous or D1SC....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitrous or D1SC....

Well I know I am posting it in the FI section. I wanted everyone's honest opinion. I just toasted the stock internal motor on my car on the juice. Well I am debating on selling the nitrous kit and maybe getting a D1SC. The next motor I get will be forged everything with ARP head studs (whole nine yards). It will be ready to go against a power adder. Is a S/C just as bad as nitrous for the motor. I have been told different things. I know the intial hit of nitrous puts alot of strain on the motor. Please enlighten me fellas on this situation. Thanks -Cody
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Nothing puts more strain on the motor than nitrous.

Go D1. I've had both, and I prefer the D1.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the forced induction is going to cost alot more upfront.

both can frag a motor if you run out of fuel... the fuel system is vital to either one.

as my opinion, the supercharger is more fun, and more easily enjoyed on a regular basis.. the major downfall is the cost. if superchargers were as cheap as nitrous kits, everyone would have one.

if you can swing the cost.. go for it.
if you're looking at a $3,500 kit, and you only have $4,000.... it might be out of your price range to consider going FI... theres always extras the kit doesnt have, so plan accordingly.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blower without a doubt. Dont get me wrong nitrous cars do run well but blowers/turbo's are nice. I just hate having to refill bottles. Go FI you will like it.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
... theres always extras the kit doesnt have, so plan accordingly.
That is so true!!! When and if you do your homework on going FI, you begin to realize that it's a never ending cycle of being nickled and dimed to death with all of the small/misc parts and pieces.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car had N2O on it when I first bought it. Refilling the bottle got old fast. Go with the supercharger there is never any worrting if I'm going to run out. Ya, it costs a lot more upfront, but its worth it!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

D1SC + nitrous FTW!

Or if you want just the one, blower hands down!
Old 04-28-2007, 07:14 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40

Stock throttle body, stock maf, Borla shorty headers and stock cats to boot! Bob
Old 04-28-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Make up your mind prior to building the engine. IMO FI is more fun/reliable than nitrous. Initial cost for FI is a lot more, but you never have to worry about filing the bottle (at a min of $5 a pound), running low on nitrous, or not having the bottle warm enough.

On the engine. Reason I say decide and don't look back, is an FI engine really like a lower compression than nitrous. Lower compression allows more boost. You can run FI on a higher compression engine, but not as effectively. Your cam choice would also be different from nitrous to FI.

Read. Check the purse strings. And than decide.

David
Old 04-28-2007, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
Make up your mind prior to building the engine. IMO FI is more fun/reliable than nitrous. Initial cost for FI is a lot more, but you never have to worry about filing the bottle (at a min of $5 a pound), running low on nitrous, or not having the bottle warm enough.

On the engine. Reason I say decide and don't look back, is an FI engine really like a lower compression than nitrous. Lower compression allows more boost. You can run FI on a higher compression engine, but not as effectively. Your cam choice would also be different from nitrous to FI.

Read. Check the purse strings. And than decide.

David
Good advice!!

in the long run nitrous ends up costing you more money cause if you figure bottle refills at about $50-$75 bucks for bottle fill up...2-3 times a week...you do the math..than if a fuel solenoid sticks and whipes out #7 cylinder, you lookin at a new engine..(ask me how i know).

i too used to have nitrous and now im building for FI. power is allways there and theres nothing more intimidating than the sound of a turbo spooling or a supercharger whistling dixie!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TNTramair
Good advice!!

in the long run nitrous ends up costing you more money cause if you figure bottle refills at about $50-$75 bucks for bottle fill up...2-3 times a week...you do the math..than if a fuel solenoid sticks and whipes out #7 cylinder, you lookin at a new engine..(ask me how i know).

i too used to have nitrous and now im building for FI. power is allways there and theres nothing more intimidating than the sound of a turbo spooling or a supercharger whistling dixie!!!
Well that sounds familiar lol. Mine just freakin did that. Did a compression check and #7 didnt even read on the gauge lol. I was thinking about forging the bottom end and leaving the kit on there. Should I??
Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Well that sounds familiar lol. Mine just freakin did that. Did a compression check and #7 didnt even read on the gauge lol. I was thinking about forging the bottom end and leaving the kit on there. Should I??
Money, money, money. Only you can decide. Want to go real fast, reliably?

David
Old 04-29-2007, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

blower ftw, i had a wet kit and got away with a stuck fuel noid unharmed...
Old 04-29-2007, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

I say go with a procharger, and when the bottom end goes, get a forged motor, then add a 150 shot!.

So get both!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Nitrous or D1SC....