Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

corvette twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by presto_z
well he is puttin um on anyways so we will see.. the way i look at it is if this kit is an exact ptk replica and is made out of the best material (keep in mind the hot side is all stainless) and costs over 5k less then he is well ahead of the game and can easily get some turbos for way less then that....

im really debating on ordering the fbody one (looks exactly the same as the PTK) and just getting a good turbo to be safe and still be out the door with lots of extra cash in hand

if this is against the sponsor rules (i didnt list a price or seller) then ill delete this post or a mod will do it for me...

EDIT: if i do get the fbody kit im going to have the turbo tore down and fully inspected and rebuilt (if its worth it) if not ill be gettin a new one

Its not worth it, that turbo is cheap junk and if your going to use it then just throw it on and run it, otherwise invest the money on a new turbo.

I have had several of these ebay turbos and they are all still working great, you will want a oil restrictor on them otherwise it will eventually start smoking.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Boostaholic...
so what you are saying is that the cheap ebay turbos have help up so far? If so for how long did they last?

I would tend to think that it would be better to just invest in a quality unit for that saves time and money down the road.

Please more details, it never hurts to learn more from someone else
Old 07-28-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the nd110 race alternator was the wrong one, but was returned and he now has the halltech 90 alternator on there now, with a 77.5" belt...

all the wiring was relocated to the other side of the wheelwell so heat would no longer be an issue and it looks 10x better.. he's connecting the last few wires today and is going to be installing his gauges later on tonight..

he also purchased MSD 8.5mm wires (cut to fit) since his coil brackets are slightly raised.. ill update with pictures and hopefully ill have a video of the startup tomorrow

EDIT: his drivers side egr tube wont work so i gave him my old ones and it looks like with a little bending they'll work perfect
Old 07-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Hi, im doing the same kit on my c5 and im going to relocate the wiring also but havent had a good chance to look at it. do i have to do any cutting/resplicing on any wires or is it just plugs..so far pics look great and this thread is going to be usefull for me and im sure alot of others. I own my own ceramic and powder coating business in N.Y so i will do all the thermal coatings myself. yours looks awsome..cant wait to see the final outcome..
Old 07-29-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

you do have to extend a few wires... we were hoping for a startup tonight, but things didn't workout , so hopefully tomorrow
Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 PM

Thumbs up subscribes!

I just read this entire thread form start to finish and it is very interesting. I would have loved to go with a "top mounted" turbo kit but I don't think any were available when I did mine. The heat issue also worries me quite a bit because my car is daily driven 8 months out of the year and taken on long trips... I would have loved to open my hood and actually see something, though!

I hope everything works out for you guys.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Teching In

any new pics of the engine bay?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by paymon
any new pics of the engine bay?
here are a few pics, nothing to diffrent from before, just a few minor things

here is the tiny *** alternator installed (halltech 90) on the halltech bracket with a 77.5" belt..

here are the plug wires and high temp boot protector

and notice there are no more wires to get toasted

he was changing the springs in the wastegate..

EDIT: he had to slightly modify/trim his stock fan shroud in order for it to fit..

list if things to do:
gauges
vacuum lines for wastegates
hook up alternator wiring
bolt up stock exhaust
and install the overflow tank
and i think thats about it.. he was hoping for a startup last weekend, but things didnt go as planned (when do they ever?) so hopefull she;ll be running soon and tearing up the streets (after norris tune of course)

Last edited by presto_z; 07-30-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
AVB
Launching!

Good to hear you relocated the wires running along the turbos. Yes this setup has more heat but with a hood that allows underhood air or heat to escape it's not bad.

I have the PTK kit w/ an iron block which retains more of the heat. I've driven it on 400mile trips a few times and one of those had included 800 in a day. These have always been in the 115* heat of so. cal. Bottom line is that driven hard in the street/strip, the setup is fine.

My goal is to drive this on a road course at 100% without being forced to throttle back by high temps. On 7/20 my son and I drove the car on back to back sessions at thunderhill. Eight sessions total and logged 210 track miles for the day. Never had to pull off the track but we did take a slower lap once in a while.

Arnel
Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AVB
Good to hear you relocated the wires running along the turbos. Yes this setup has more heat but with a hood that allows underhood air or heat to escape it's not bad.

I have the PTK kit w/ an iron block which retains more of the heat. I've driven it on 400mile trips a few times and one of those had included 800 in a day. These have always been in the 115* heat of so. cal. Bottom line is that driven hard in the street/strip, the setup is fine.

My goal is to drive this on a road course at 100% without being forced to throttle back by high temps. On 7/20 my son and I drove the car on back to back sessions at thunderhill. Eight sessions total and logged 210 track miles for the day. Never had to pull off the track but we did take a slower lap once in a while.

Arnel
WOW! arnel thats alot of track time! lol glad to see the car is holding up better now. have you got any more cooling ideas?? have you seen nicks latest oil cooler setup?? looks very neat and should work really well!

thanks Chris.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 AM
AVB
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuntington101
WOW! arnel thats alot of track time! lol glad to see the car is holding up better now. have you got any more cooling ideas?? have you seen nicks latest oil cooler setup?? looks very neat and should work really well!

thanks Chris.
Oil temps are not an issue, plus I absolutely need that space Nick used for ducting to my rotors. As for other ideas.. I will do whatever it takes!

BTW.. The pics of this setup (on the corvetteforum) of the drivers side, engine bay shows an EGR hose over the top of the manifold. That won't last one hard run .

Arnel
Old 07-31-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AVB
Oil temps are not an issue, plus I absolutely need that space Nick used for ducting to my rotors. As for other ideas.. I will do whatever it takes!

BTW.. The pics of this setup (on the corvetteforum) of the drivers side, engine bay shows an EGR hose over the top of the manifold. That won't last one hard run .

Arnel
i have seen some guys fitting coolers behind the front wheels. could you mount oil coolers there and run another water circuet parralel to the heater one there??? you could even mount a swtich or temp sensor to open up the additional coolers when they are needed.

what you think??

Chris.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:15 PM
AVB
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuntington101
i have seen some guys fitting coolers behind the front wheels. could you mount oil coolers there and run another water circuet parralel to the heater one there??? you could even mount a swtich or temp sensor to open up the additional coolers when they are needed.

what you think??

Chris.
Hehe.. With all the radiators I have in there now I really don't want to add another one. Over the winter I plan on trying a laid forward setup versus back along with a bigger coolant reservoir. I'll also move the two oil coolers futher apart to allow more direct flow to the other stuff. Maybe they'll end up somewhere in the fenders (front of the wheel) if there's space w/ the brake ducts intact. One thing to keep in mind is that the heat in the engine bay is what will flow into the rear of the front fenders. I'll have to see what happens if you open up the bottom to see if that could be a source of cool air.

How is you setup doing Chris?

As for this vette twin... Get rid of the EGR altogether. It'll look cleaner and then you could take the vacuum line connected to the air pump (which you can then get rid of) for your BOV. To allow you to run at spring pressure, the lower port of the WG's should hook up to the charge side of the turbo's. An EBC using a solenoid will make use of the top WG ports.

Arnel

Last edited by AVB; 07-31-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AVB
Hehe.. With all the radiators I have in there now I really don't want to add another one. Over the winter I plan on trying a laid forward setup versus back along with a bigger coolant reservoir. I'll also move the two oil coolers futher apart to allow more direct flow to the other stuff. Maybe they'll end up somewhere in the fenders (front of the wheel) if there's space w/ the brake ducts intact. One thing to keep in mind is that the heat in the engine bay is what will flow into the rear of the front fenders. I'll have to see what happens if you open up the bottom to see if that could be a source of cool air.

How is you setup doing Chris?

As for this vette twin... Get rid of the EGR altogether. It'll look cleaner and then you could take the vacuum line connected to the air pump (which you can then get rid of) for your BOV. To allow you to run at spring pressure, the lower port of the WG's should hook up to the charge side of the turbo's. An EBC using a solenoid will make use of the top WG ports.

Arnel
sounds like a very intresting project. there was a guy on the corvette forum that laid his rad down flat wasn't there??? i think a forward leaning rad is much better than a backwards one. they are used alot over here where vertical space is a problem.

my setup at the moment is a 3 bedroom house and a little girl that should be here october 15!!!!!! lol its all on the cards though mate. just need more money!

Chris.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

well some progress has been made since my last post, wiring has been buttoned up, the exhaust bolted up to the stock pipes with a little wigglin and jigglin, all the fluids have been changed and all lines and hoses connected... and most importantly it RUNS....

here are a few pics
turbo downpipe to factory exhaust

another random shot

havnt revved it up though since the vacuum lines arnt hooked up and we dont wanna build any un monitored boost....

there is a very slight oil leak from one of the oil feed lines, and one of the v-band clamps is leaking so those will have to be fixed

EDIT: here is the video and it isnt nearly as noisy in real life
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eXbxXxAlIVg

Last edited by presto_z; 08-06-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

let me know when its getting tuned as I would like to take a look at her. Glad she is running.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

hey man, im glad to see its all working out for ya! I've been following this thread since day 1! Let us know how everything works out, cause I will definately buy that some kit if you show us its holding up! Let us know how much power it puts down, im very curious to see how it performs.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

video added.. we took it out for a ride around the block to make sure everything is fine, which it seems to be.. it runs pretty decent but deffinetly needs a tune..so now we wait for the tune and some numbers... he only has 5lb springs in the wastegates now, but may jump it up to 7 depending on the numbers he puts down

black01_WS6 i talked to mike norris and roy and they are going to try and arrange a dyno tune very soon on a saturday, they are trying to get a few more cars lined up so if you know anybody who needs a tune PM roy.. im sure you'll be there like you always are.. so you'll see this thing in action..

well helping out with this install and just learning all the stuff i did about turbos and turbo systems is going to make my install much much easier..

i hope to see more people with these kits in the near future.. there have been multiple members who have PMed me about this one and the kit for mine, so im sure there will be more people with them installed very very soon
Old 08-07-2007, 05:12 PM
AVB
Launching!

Good news on getting her fired up. BTW, If you cut the part of those filters that the clamp clamps-down-on you can slide those filters more flush to the turbos. If those are anything like the one's I tried they're rubber and will not hold up to the heat. A 1/2 in. sleeve in between the rubber coupler and turbo housing helps a little.

Arnel
Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

well this sat at 9am mike norris will be tuning it so if your in the ft. myers area stop by aftermath performance (formerly revx and proautotech) ill post up numbers and pics.. i cant wait to see what it will do....

Quick Reply: corvette twin turbo