Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo car overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a different radiator (BeCool or LT1) would make better use of reduced airflow and allow you to keep the AC. Or you could try mounting pushers between the AC condenser and the radiator, I don't think anyone's tried that.

For me, I was so close to overtemps that I was never going to turn the AC on anyway... so I just got rid of it.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

I am thinking about putting a new radiator from afco or becool in it. Anyone have any part numbers to the radiator they are using?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

can anyone else help?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Are you running a shroud that may be your problem right there. also if you dont have the front air dam you wont be directing airflow to the radiator.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

shrouds are soo inportant to effective cooling airflow! they dont just direct the cold air onto the rad, but also cause presure diffrences to help pull the air through the rads.

sounds stupid but have you tried driving the car with the hood off?? this will tell if its cos you are not getting rid of the air. if you still dont see much diffrence then maybe time to look for a bigger rad!

also sounds really stupid but a guy on the vette forum is a road racer snad was having major problems with ckeeping his car cool in 20-25min track sessions. he recently tried turning the heater on FULL and opening the windows! said it wasn't to bad in the car and really made a differance to engine temps!

also there is water wetter.

thanks Chris.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

I still have my air dam on. You talkiing about the peices in front of radiator that direct air onto the radiator? I still have them. I also used water wetter. I can cool it off by running the heater but where I live it's hot. Should I look at getting a bigger radiator like a griffen or becool or something like that? Or just get one of the LT1 one?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

VP makes a good product like water wetter, it advertizes 50 degree lower temps. On my dummy gauge it dropped about 30 degrees, so I'm a believer in that product. Also maybe try turning your fans on sooner (lower temp). i would make sure you are getting a good air flow. I've seen a lot of guys remove the shrouds cause it looks cooler but that is detriment to your radiator. You say yours is on so that eliminates that.

Maybe try a radiator flush.

Also check this , this happened to me, I had a plastic grocery bag from Walmart blocking half of my radiator one time, my car was running hotter than usual. Sure as **** as soon as I pulled it off things cleared up. Also maybe clean your radiator fins and your condenser it may be all gooped up with road crap.

I would try all the cheap simple stuff first before spending money on a new radiator. There's plenty of people here running pretty high hp and not having overheating issues.

also it may be something in your tune possibly.

I'd exhaust all those possibilities first. A new radiator aint cheap.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

That's some good idea's
Old 06-29-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02SSLE
I still have my air dam on. You talkiing about the peices in front of radiator that direct air onto the radiator? I still have them. I also used water wetter. I can cool it off by running the heater but where I live it's hot. Should I look at getting a bigger radiator like a griffen or becool or something like that? Or just get one of the LT1 one?

Hes talking about the lower one....

The one that mounts under the support that always rubbs on everything when you pull into parking lots....
That one does more then anything.... not only directs air from underneath into the Rad. but pulls air down behind the Rad.

Kyle
Old 06-30-2007, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

I still have that one on.

Quick Reply: Turbo car overheating