Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS boost!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you guys running an STS kit, do you absolutely have to take out the bird on the bumper? I am unsure of ordering this kit now, don't really like the looks of it? Are you STS guys happy with your system, I am about a straight jacket away from ordering a kit with a FMIC!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 228/228 .558/.588 on a 115LSA and on 5.5-6psi i made 503rwhp and 512rwtq with a STOCK clutch. all done by TRT
Old 07-07-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Websy21
For you guys running an STS kit, do you absolutely have to take out the bird on the bumper? I am unsure of ordering this kit now, don't really like the looks of it? Are you STS guys happy with your system, I am about a straight jacket away from ordering a kit with a FMIC!
You will need a straight jacket, so you may want to stay away.
I refuse to cut the mouth out of my bird, so I am researching an alternative. The current candidates appear to be a down A2A, with fans, or an A2W intercooler.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Finally decided to go with a sts for my 2001 A4. I am going with stock internals other than cam for now. With supporting fuel/drivetrain mods, what boost level is recommended the safe point. I know you can't go wrong with 5psi, but I keep hearing 7 and 8 that alot of people run on these engines? Without lowering compression what is considered the safe point for boost level and horsepower? I hope to get 450 to 500rwhp?
check out my STS build on here; my website is currently down so I can't tell ya to go there...its currently the experiment site for NCJets...but ANYWAY...

7-8 is fine; I'm going to run 7psi

made 423HP and 431TQ no IC and no meth on 5PSI, no cam
a friend on here is doing 5.5psi and a cam and IC and made 503HP

I'm going IC and 9inch rearend with 3.50's here soon; so i will keep you posted.

you can make 500HP easy
if i do a cam i would already be there with an IC also
Old 07-07-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
You will need a straight jacket, so you may want to stay away.
I refuse to cut the mouth out of my bird, so I am researching an alternative. The current candidates appear to be a down A2A, with fans, or an A2W intercooler.

see at a certain speed the fans hold you back with the a2a, but at low speeds they help you...so idk. check out supermans build; just put the IC under the car by the air dam on the front...air will flow through it and then flow through the radiator. thats what i'm going to do...might invest in meth injection also, but we will see about that
Old 07-07-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
see at a certain speed the fans hold you back with the a2a, but at low speeds they help you...so idk. check out supermans build; just put the IC under the car by the air dam on the front...air will flow through it and then flow through the radiator. thats what i'm going to do...might invest in meth injection also, but we will see about that
I agree 100%. You can calculate at the flow rate (speed) when they become an impediement to air flow, but it is not worth the effort. In front of the radiator is my number 1 choice, as it is static and always available. The big mouth is just not an option. Just not.
I would like to see your results. Meth injection into my gasoline engine is not an option for me, but is interesting to observe.
A single fan may be an accepable solution, as it will help on low speeds, but not impede high speed....
Old 07-07-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

See that is was I was thinking of doing is keeping the bird in my bumper and adding another fan?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
i have a 228/228 .558/.588 on a 115LSA and on 5.5-6psi i made 503rwhp and 512rwtq with a STOCK clutch. all done by TRT
I ahve always thought of putting in a 228/228 if I chose to do standard split. How do you like that exact grind in yor car? How is drivability, power curve, etc? Does it work good with the STS kit, how is the spool etc? Would you go with a differecnt cam if you did it again?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Instead of taking the bird out of the bumper what do you think of taking the fog lights out instead? Would this be feasible?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ahve always thought of putting in a 228/228 if I chose to do standard split. How do you like that exact grind in yor car? How is drivability, power curve, etc? Does it work good with the STS kit, how is the spool etc? Would you go with a differecnt cam if you did it again?
i love this grind, but like all high LSA cam'd cars, i want a little more lope...... but i was told by my builders that the high LSA would hold in boost better so thats what i went with. i made 503rwhp with a stock motor and 5.5-6psi (intercooled) there arent that many STS cars on this site making that much power with similar mods like mine, so im happy. PLUS, i could be making more because i have the 7.5-8psi spring in there, but i have crappy longtubes that have a leak by the maifold so i'm loosing boost. im getting ported and ceramic coated stockers with wrapped y-pipe back to turbo, should be VERY interesting with how boost comes on.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Instead of taking the bird out of the bumper what do you think of taking the fog lights out instead? Would this be feasible?
someone on here not too long ago mounted the intercooler upside down where the entrance and exhits on the intercooler where up high and essentually went up and over the lights on the t/a, give it a search and see my friend
Old 07-07-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

ya those numbers are very impresiive and I would be happy to have them, that is about the max I want to go. Makes it even better you only have to run 5.5-6lbs! As long as the cam is user friendly with taht setup I will probably go with something like it or identical. As for the headers, I have SLP longtubes, wouldn't aftermarket headers be better thatn ported sotckers. Is it jsut for the spool you wnat to put them on? Wouldn't you see better numbers with L/T's? How would my SLP's work?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

someone on here not too long ago mounted the intercooler upside down where the entrance and exhits on the intercooler where up high and essentually went up and over the lights on the t/a, give it a search and see my friend
Thats what I did initially. Then I found a "mustang/GN" intercooler that fits perfectly between the foglights and has the inlet and outlet both facing the driver side. So I built my charge piping to fit into the stock plastic cover (connecting to the bumper underneath) and up to the intercooler, then back out, down out of the same hole, and back up to the TB. Its the shortest path for the charge pipe to travel rather then running out the pass side back across the vehicle and back up to the TB.

Anyway, the intercooler is good up to 800hp and retains foglights. You also don't have to cut your bumper support. It literally bolts right up and cost $200 shipped. You do have to remove your bumper foam but Im going to try and trim the foam back and leave as much as I can without blocking the IC.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Where does a guy get this intercooler?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Check this intercooler out, is it something like this one? What size of piping does the STS kit come with? This intercooler has an inlet and outlet of 3 inches. I was initially thinking of doing a custom job on the intercooler, would save alot of money and maybe I could keep my bird! http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...8931&rd=1&rd=1
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Do you have pictures of that intercooler install? Thanks
Old 07-08-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

That one in the link is too wide. You would have to trim your bumper and remove your foglights. Ill be posting up a bunch of pictures tomorrow because the car is getting torn down once I arrive at TRT tomorrow.

Keep in mind that the space between the foglights is 19-20" MAX. And with the bumper installed, those big foglight openings take up about an inch or two of that space.

My IC is 18x12.5x3.5 and has 2.5" outlets and flows vertically. I would have preferred 3" but 2.5 fits nicely above and below the foglights without having to trim the recessed fog housing on the bumper.

check out the picture below to get an idea. That box is about 18x12x4
Attached Thumbnails STS boost!!!!-image_00393.jpg  
Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man, I will be watching for more pictures. You get good cooling still without taking the center piece out of your bumper? Where did you get this mustang intercooler?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

i love this grind, but like all high LSA cam'd cars, i want a little more lope...... but i was told by my builders that the high LSA would hold in boost better so thats what i went with. i made 503rwhp with a stock motor and 5.5-6psi (intercooled) there arent that many STS cars on this site making that much power with similar mods like mine, so im happy. PLUS, i could be making more because i have the 7.5-8psi spring in there, but i have crappy longtubes that have a leak by the maifold so i'm loosing boost. im getting ported and ceramic coated stockers with wrapped y-pipe back to turbo, should be VERY interesting with how boost comes on.
Do you think that you could make the same numbers or close to that withought the intercooler? Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you safely boost to 5psi withought an intercooler in which you are close to know?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cut my front bumper. It benefits from the cooling. I ended up getting a new plastic bird cover and cut that piece and replaced the opening with a honeycomb grille. I like the look and it doesn't appear chopped up.

Even at 5psi you really need the benefits of an IC. I dont think you would make 500+ like 99z28 did without an intercooler.

The intercooler can be found on ebay. Just type in those dimensions and youll find some in that size.

Quick Reply: STS boost!!!!