Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

favorite way to put heads down for FI

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:28 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
am i the only one who has broken a stud?
i was once putting the heads back on cranking down for the final pass on a bolt, cranking, cranking, cranking, the torque wrench wasnt clicking, i thought i was getting weak from all that cranking, when snap------------- broke one of the big studs.
thankfully reckless helped me out and extracted the broken stud.
Previous owner broke one of the standard APR studs, but replaced them with L19s etc...
Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn.. You can't know enough about cars when it comes to FI. Great thread.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO FREAKING WAY DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TORKING ANYTHING WHEN I WORKED IN THE POCONOS PICKLE FACTORY WE NEW TORK AND ME AND MY MULLET-HEAD BUDDIES JUST USED A BIG *** WRENCH TO TIGHTEN EVERYTHING UNTIL IT ALMOST BROKE AND ARE **** WORKED HELLA COOL FOR YEARS PAY ATTENTION DAWG AND YOU CAN STILL LEARN

OK, let the flaming from un-informed know-it-alls (who are faster than me and therefore more knowledgable in ALL automotive areas) begin!
Couldn't disappoint great421!

Jim

PS I use ARP studs and the Felpro head gaskets with pre-flattened fire rings, and have always re-torqued once after maybe a week of driving. I don't run high boost but have also cycled some nitrous through the motors over the last 7 years. The re-torque always moves the nut at least 45 degrees tighter than it was previously, and I haven't blown a head gasket yet.

Quick Reply: favorite way to put heads down for FI