Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My motor is seized. Shit.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:42 AM
Banned

Very well said Zombie!
Old 07-18-2007 | 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Any luck figuring out what's keeping it from turning over ?

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 07-18-2007 | 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any updates Ninetres?
Old 07-18-2007 | 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

no updates, im one of his best friends he has only taken the valve covers off and A few other things he's really devastated and doesn't want to look at the car :/ . but he will get to it soon we need the right tools
Old 07-18-2007 | 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
If it made it 3k miles, there is nothing mechanically wrong. Problems with an engine build show up almost immediately. Fast cars = fast money.
I dont think there was 3k on the car at all. its been in and out of the shop the hole time. unless it was a bad piston or a ring that failed?!?!
Old 07-18-2007 | 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr_president
I dont think there was 3k on the car at all. its been in and out of the shop the hole time. unless it was a bad piston or a ring that failed?!?!
Except in a few cases, failures show up very fast. The first 15-20 mins of an engines life is very crucial. Gotta get it apart though to even start making guesses as to what happened. Losing motors is part of the game, especially when starting off unfortunately. I lost several motors in previous projects and one stock one on the current SS after 15k miles of boosting it HARD (rod bolt stretch + low oil = owned). I've seen many of the big dogs here lose multiple motors.

Most of my previous losses were due to detontion, only had one mechanical issue and that was my factory 2000 LS1 revving to 6700 rpms all the time (user caused mechanical failure, I knew the risks).
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the start should at least make a clicking noise or something right??

I'm suprised he hasn't taken off the timing chain cover yet.
Old 07-25-2007 | 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

any news on your motor?
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

If you cannot turn the motor with a breaker bar, the shortie is junk. Maybe the block is okay, probably it's not. But if the car just shot off, and then you can't restart it, and the motor won't turn, it's because you broke the timing chain or something and you have collateral damage to other parts. When I broke my timing chain all that really needed to be replaced were all the intake valves. Possibility here is that a valve hit a piston, valve broke or dropped, and then beat up a piston top and the cylinder walls maybe eventually wedging itself into both. Good luck, and you might be able to save a bunch of parts, think positive.
Old 07-25-2007 | 01:16 PM
9 Second Club

Someone please go to this guys house and troubleshoot it for him so we can get some damn answers! LOL.....
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:31 PM
9 Second Club

UPDATE (not really):

I have worked the last 11 days in a row and haven't had much time to play with my car. I have the valve covers off, and some of the turbo kit off.

Here is something new. Ever since I parked it, it has been pooling water under the car.....A LOT. Today is my first day off since it broke, for the most part, so after I run some errands I will start wrenching again.
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:38 PM

my guess is you popped a head gasket and filled a cylinder or two with water, and thats why it wont turn over.... drain the oil and see if there is water/coolient in it. if so refill with oil, pull the plugs and crank the car
Old 07-25-2007 | 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep us posted i hate to see stuff happen to FI cars they cost so much to build and so much work goes into them.
Old 07-25-2007 | 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I can't tell from his post whether he put a breaker bar on it and tried to turn the engine... If he can't with the plugs out he broke a rod/piston...
I've seen a spun main COMPLETELY lock up an engine and I couldn't turn it over hanging from a 3 foot long breaker bar with the car on a lift...and it was silent as it died, no awful noises.

This was my old boss's car, and after I took the oil pan off I started loosening main caps until I found the #3 main was complete junk...soon as that cap was off I was able to rotate the engine again. We had his crank ground and polished, had the block line honed, reassembled it and it is running fine...so in the grand scheme of things, it isn't always horribly expensive...he had it all fixed and running again for less than $800.

Either way, I'm in the middle of my own forced induction buildup, and I know a lot about how much effort and $$$ is invested in building them. I'm sorry to hear about your luck, and I hope you can get it running again without paying an exhorbitant amount of $$$$ to do so.
Old 07-27-2007 | 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

keep us posted dude.
Old 07-28-2007 | 12:36 AM
9 Second Club

I cut my hand pretty bad last night, on my right palm. Definitely not gonna be wrenching for a while. I think my buddy is gonna tear it down for me in a couple weeks. We'll see.
Old 07-28-2007 | 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr_president
no updates, im one of his best friends he has only taken the valve covers off and A few other things he's really devastated and doesn't want to look at the car :/ . but he will get to it soon we need the right tools

I know that feeling,its usally followed by that"wonder what insurance will give me if it somehow bunt to the ground"question. Just take your time and dont get in a rush. What you cut your hand on? I know those exh gaskets can be brutal on hands. But best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-28-2007 | 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by ninetres
I cut my hand pretty bad last night, on my right palm. Definitely not gonna be wrenching for a while. I think my buddy is gonna tear it down for me in a couple weeks. We'll see.
just open the radiator cap and check how much coolient is in it... if its really low pull the dipstick and see how the oil looks.... i really think you popped a head gasket and filled a cylinder with water.

check the radiator and oil is a 30 sec. process
Old 07-28-2007 | 09:15 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
just open the radiator cap and check how much coolient is in it... if its really low pull the dipstick and see how the oil looks.... i really think you popped a head gasket and filled a cylinder with water.

check the radiator and oil is a 30 sec. process
Motor is seized even with all the plugs out.
Old 07-28-2007 | 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninetres
Motor is seized even with all the plugs out.
Wow dude that ******* blows. I hydrolocked my stock shortblock a few months ago. twisted and snapped the rod and put it into the side of the cylinder wall. I had a pinhole in my #1 intake port that finnaly broke through and filled the cylinder up with coolant after I shut the car off from driving it an hour before. When i went to start it it fired maybe 3 cylinders and just shut off. When you tried to start it the starter made gawd awful noises b/c it blew it apart. Has it rained there lately? Turn that **** into your insurance you'd be suprised how much you could get out of it. Research it on here. Some guys get 5-8K

Quick Reply: My motor is seized. Shit.