Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Additional intercooler for a maggie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
Maggie IATs are pretty high. An additional iced heat exchanger for conrolled use can be added to work with the maggie (custom setup).

you hear that josh? Looks like we may be adding a larger intercooler for the maggie. Or perhaps adding an additional one to the one that comes stock.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
yotaman96......ok, if the guy ordered the non intercooled one for me, can i buy the intercooler after the fact?
Since the intercooler is actually built into the maggie, I don't think you would be able to just add it in there.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Meth injection or water injection does nothing to cool the IAT
Old 07-21-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Double-L

huh? Correct me if i am wrong here fellas, but the entire point of Meth injection is 1. to cool IAT and 2. raise octane to prevent detonation
Old 07-21-2007, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're right, he's wrong.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

yes it will cool the IATs
Old 07-21-2007, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
huh? Correct me if i am wrong here fellas, but the entire point of Meth injection is 1. to cool IAT and 2. raise octane to prevent detonation
You are part right, The point of Meth injection is to raise the octane so you can run more boost and higher timing without detonation, I have a small block Chevy with a super charger and I have a turbo race car, I have alky spray on both and have raced with pump gas and alky spray for some time but no it does not cool your IAT
Old 07-21-2007, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Yes it does. If you put the nozzle after the IAT sensor you will not see the change.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:06 PM
FormerVendor

I'm not really sure what your exact goal is? If you ordered a non-intercooled Magnuson, it could be converted to an intercooled model, but it would require a new upper intake manifold top, and the intercooler, as well as the heat exchanger, pump, and related plumbing.

If you're looking for ways to run more boost without detonation, then I highly recommend a meth injection kit. What kind of vehicle is this going in? Feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions, or if you need help getting some parts we are a Magnuson dealer.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 07-22-2007, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

the guy who ordered the parts for me was told specifically i wanted an intercooled maggie. I will check he got thw right one when i pick it up. Is there something on the box or packaging that will tell me right away if i got the right one??
if i got the non intercooled one, i can send it back and exchagne it, eright??
If thats the case, perhaps i will just get my loot back and by a Kenne Bell twin screw..... if anyone can tell me where to order it from.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

I think I read on one of your other posts that you have a GTO? If that's the case, then you are OK, Magnuson does not make a non-intercooled kit for GTO.

Here is a pic of one of my F-body blowers. The 2 big nipples on the back behind the drive belt are the inlet and outlet hoses for the intercooler. If those aren't there, there is no intercooler, but the GTO kit will have them.

The Kenne Bell kit will not fit on a GTO or an F-body, they only havbe a kit for Corvette, and a universal kit, but it won't fit a GTO or an F-body.

Call me up on Monday, I can help with some of your questions,
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Additional intercooler for a maggie?-re-sizedblowerpic.jpg  

Last edited by Ed @ Late Model Speed; 07-22-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

IAT temps aren't too bad when the car is moving or at WOT, they only read higher than normal when sitting at idle with the throttle closed. As soon as you go WOT, they drop pretty quickly.

I've done quite a few passes in Magna equipped LSX cars (Camaro went 10.7, C6 went 11.2) and the heat soak only affects the car after the first pass. You will get your best ET if the car is cooled down to ambient and you make a run. After that, it will slow down about 1 tenth and 1 mph. It won't get any worse, I've hotlapped to see if it did.

Same thing for an all-motor setup too, about 1 mph and 1 tenth. You can't avoid heat soak on any combo.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

What ever, People come on the forums to learn or ask questions on something they are thinking about doing, I can give you the address of what I think is the best meth kit out right now, I run two of his kits and know at least 4 other right off hand, You can email him and say I am thinking about adding a meth kit to lower my IAT and add octane, See what he tells you, If you add a kit remember you have to tune to the alky, If you just add a kit to cool the IAT and add octane your vehicle will run pig rich and run like sh^t, Also once you tune for the alky you have to run it all the time, If you got on the motor very hard without the alky you could and most likely hurt it bad, Yes it cools but it is so small it would be like peeing in a lake to make it a salt water lake, Alky for the most part is for super charged or turbo cars but do know one guy that has one on his non blown GTO, Meth injection is used so you add boost and timing without getting KR on pump gas , I wouldn't run Meth on my street only vehicle, Just trying to help, Have a nice day
Old 07-22-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Just trying to help, Have a nice day

and you are. So by all means, stay. I am reading your posts and taking mental notes, so dont feel slighted mang.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

The only roots or screw type system that I know that supports a non integrated intercooler is the DRE system. Though it is only for the C5/C6 bodies.

Keith
Old 07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1290
The only roots or screw type system that I know that supports a non integrated intercooler is the DRE system. Though it is only for the C5/C6 bodies.

Keith
there are plenty of non-intercooled maggies around, just not on GTO kits.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on meth!

Quick Reply: Additional intercooler for a maggie?