Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Additional intercooler for a maggie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional intercooler for a maggie?

If i am reading correctly, the maggie comes with an intercooler. I think it is built into it. However, i have been reading that heat soak is a problem with Roots blowers, and IAT is higher on a maggie then a procharger. So is it possible to add an additional intercooler to a maggied car? Such as the intercoller that comes with the procharger?
I am also going to have meth injection on there as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
If i am reading correctly, the maggie comes with an intercooler. I think it is built into it. However, i have been reading that heat soak is a problem with Roots blowers, and IAT is higher on a maggie then a procharger. So is it possible to add an additional intercooler to a maggied car? Such as the intercoller that comes with the procharger?
I am also going to have meth injection on there as well.
no u can not add an intercooler with a maggie, it can only use the supllied heat exchanger. but ur meth inj will be sufficent
Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

damn, i thought u could add an intercooler. Is there a way to upgrade the one that comes withthe maggie?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

no upgrades
Old 07-20-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have seen someone on the corvettefourm doing some upgarding of the magy stuff. think he made it twin entry and exit to get more even temps across the core.

his name is RJW on there have a look. if i find anything i will post a link.

Chris,
Old 07-20-2007, 05:10 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen on the 03/04 Cobras where they put a bigger heat exchanger behind the lower front bumper. Why not do some meth and be done with it?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I have seen on the 03/04 Cobras where they put a bigger heat exchanger behind the lower front bumper. Why not do some meth and be done with it?
i am putting meth injection on it. However, since i didnt see a front mounted intercooler in the maggie kit like i did with tthe procharger kit, i was curious if you could add one.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

i am putting meth injection on it. However, since i didnt see a front mounted intercooler in the maggie kit like i did with tthe procharger kit, i was curious if you could add one.
do you understand how a roots blower works?? After the blower, air doesnt go through a bunch of piping before it goes in the motor as it does with a centrifugal or a turbo.... front mount doesnt make any sense...
Old 07-20-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

considering how cool the coolant stays even after a brutal track day, additional air to water cooling capacity wont help much. a meth solution would provide more value.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
do you understand how a roots blower works?? After the blower, air doesnt go through a bunch of piping before it goes in the motor as it does with a centrifugal or a turbo.... front mount doesnt make any sense...
theres a heat exchanger in the blower body and a pump which circulates water to an intercooler in front of the AC condenser. Not all magnuson kits come with it.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Sonofabish, yes i do. Thank you.

SteelChicken, you got my idea. Where can one get this pump and intercooler for the maggie?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

if u got the best kit, the intercooler/heat exchanger should be included
Old 07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Josh@MASPORT
if u got the best kit, the intercooler/heat exchanger should be included
if not, call magnuson
Old 07-20-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

ok. i havwe not seen it yet, it was ordered for me. What does the heat exchanger\intercooler look like? Looking at ads for the maggie (like on tbyrne's site), it says this.. "intercooled application features a unique air to liquid heat exchanger that is integrated into the manifold, below the supercharger".
i thought all the maggies came like this? I was talking about adding an additional cooler. Are you saying that what i have in quotes from the maggie add is an option?
If they all do come like the quote says, you are saying there is an additional cooler available from magnuson? Do you know what its called, and how much it goes for? can you order it from them directly, or do some of the sponsors on here carry it?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is an intercooled and non intercooled version. You can not actually see the intercooler when it's bolted down. If the maggie was off the car, you could look in the ports and see it. The intercooled version uses a heat exchanger that pumps coolant (completely seperate from the radiator coolant) through the maggie to try and lower temps.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by yotaman96
There is an intercooled and non intercooled version. You can not actually see the intercooler when it's bolted down. If the maggie was off the car, you could look in the ports and see it. The intercooled version uses a heat exchanger that pumps coolant (completely seperate from the radiator coolant) through the maggie to try and lower temps.
and if u do have the intercooled version u can switch out the supplied heat exchanger, for a bigger, better cooling one. but if u have meth you dont need to worry to much about it
Old 07-20-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

yotaman96......ok, if the guy ordered the non intercooled one for me, can i buy the intercooler after the fact?

Josh, Where do u get the bigger\badder heat exchanger? do you order from maggie? how much does it cost?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

yotaman96......ok, if the guy ordered the non intercooled one for me, can i buy the intercooler after the fact?

Josh, Where do u get the bigger\badder heat exchanger? do you order from maggie? how much does it cost?
i dont know the cost but it is pretty much a small radiator, any radiator with the right size inlet/outlet that fits will work.

one of our customers installed a 03/04 cobra heat exchanger where his stock one used to be on his ION
Old 07-20-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Josh@MASPORT
i dont know the cost but it is pretty much a small radiator, any radiator with the right size inlet/outlet that fits will work.

one of our customers installed a 03/04 cobra heat exchanger where his stock one used to be on his ION

Well, when we take a look at our IAT, we shall see if something like that is warranted. If those IAT's arent nice and cool, bigger intercooler\radiator\heat swapper it is!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maggie IATs are pretty high. An additional iced heat exchanger for conrolled use can be added to work with the maggie (custom setup).

Quick Reply: Additional intercooler for a maggie?