Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2 Buy used boosted 408" iron shortblock or no?? "4500" miles, seen 700+rwhp already

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2 Buy used boosted 408" iron shortblock or no?? "4500" miles, seen 700+rwhp already

Im looking into a used motor 408" iron block, forged crank, h-beam rods, diamond dish pistons, hellfire rings, clevite bearings, arp rod and main bolts, ls6 oil pump, double roller chain, all that stuff included but its just the shortblock... Has about 4500 miles on it and has been run about 18 passes on the track from what ive been told, has been dynoed and tuned at over 700rwhp and has more left in it obviously. The motor also has 40 psi hot idle as well and supposedly drives fine as a daily driver. COMPRESSION is between 182-188 on all the cylinders is that okay. My question is what do you guys/girls think is it worth it "if" its in good condition as stated. Retail for this motor on texas-speed is like $3700 plus shipping.

Asking price is $3200 but i wanna know if i should take the leap and jump on this, sounds like a good deal but im worried about it being "used" even though it hasnt been run long or pushed extremely hard. Wanted 2 ask here if a motor like this would be worn down much or at all from the use it has gotten??? If i could run it in my car how long do you think it would last if i put it in my car and safely tune it for lets say 8-10 psi. I just want an opinionated estimate if all goes well and the motor has good clearances aka is well built?? THANKS IN ADvANCE everyone all opinions are appreciated.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is worth 500 bucks to buy a used motor without piece of mind then do it. I buy used all the time but you have to weigh the cons too when it comes time to warranty that bad boy. I think you should jump on it if it is a reputable seller.

Marty
Old 07-26-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

it seems to be from what ive read, he sold an procharger kit to a guy and hes very happy with everything and i saw pics of this guys car and engine bay. Looks like it has 10,000 miles on the chassis. So clean thats why i like it but then again for a little more i get a new motor with 0 miles. 4500 miles is really nothing but its been run hard a few times already...thats what its meant for i know but its one of those 50/50 decisions for me. Dont know which way to go, maybe some more pple shine some light on it and gimme some more advice THANKS
Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its only $500 more, I'd save and buy new honestly

(just looking at this from a financial standpoint, as I have no actual experience)
Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Launching!

Ok, my personal opinion on that motor is it's not a bad deal at all. It really does only have 4500 miles or less on it. This is a good friend of mines motor. And the one you are looking at on there (TSP) for 3600 is the one with no upgrades and has the eagle crank. Where as his is told be a Callies dragon slayer crank with callies rods and the upgraded Diamond pistons, then of course the arp main studs as well, you are looking at 4500 dollars. So all in all you are saving approx. 1200 dollars after shipping plus no wait. I know the engine is good, the guy that decided to take it out is just an idiot and can't hang.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if its a used short block it should only be worth half of the new price. I wish I could sell used motors for 85% of the orig. price.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Ow your a funny one Daniel lol, cant hang well at least I didnt leave a turbo system sitting on my bed forever contemplating it lol. With my 427 Ill hang trust me

Also included is a performance comp cam, ported oil pump, rollmaster double roller timing chain, LS6 valley pan, and I am installing brand new clevite H main and rod bearings as well as brand new hellfire rings. Just so that the motor is in perfect condition for the buyer. But I have also lowered the price a bit too 3000+ shipping. An its not alot considering stock 50k ls1s are going for over 2000 so think about it.

If you were to just get the shortblock from TSP it would be 4327.00 with my options and thats without shipping, then add 160 for the timing chain, 80 for the valley pan, 140 for the oil pump, and about 350 for the cam price comes out to around 5057.00 plus im installing at no extra charge the bearings and rings for a fresh start. I also personally warrentee it to be without defect.

Last edited by bandit1; 07-26-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

If it was me, I would consider it a good deal if I could get the short block for around $2200 to $2300. Even though it has few miles on it, it is still used. If the seller is instant on a price around $3200, I would spend the extra money for a new block.

Keith
Old 07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn you guys are brutal. I would jump on that deal after seeing all the included extras. Wish I had money.

Marty
Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

yea im really thinking about it, hey bandit if ur an upstanding guy like that and warranty it to be good, then we're in business man. I just dont want problems with my car especially and with you ya know. Nothing personal its just the way things are there are pple in this world that do bad business and i dont believe in that. But but from what i can understand you're cool so im 99% going to buy this from you. Thanks for all the opinions every1, hopefully ill have the pleasure of saying i have a 408 very soon...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bandit1
Ow your a funny one Daniel lol, cant hang well at least I didnt leave a turbo system sitting on my bed forever contemplating it lol. With my 427 Ill hang trust me

Also included is a performance comp cam, ported oil pump, rollmaster double roller timing chain, LS6 valley pan, and I am installing brand new clevite H main and rod bearings as well as brand new hellfire rings. Just so that the motor is in perfect condition for the buyer. But I have also lowered the price a bit too 3000+ shipping. An its not alot considering stock 50k ls1s are going for over 2000 so think about it.

If you were to just get the shortblock from TSP it would be 4327.00 with my options and thats without shipping, then add 160 for the timing chain, 80 for the valley pan, 140 for the oil pump, and about 350 for the cam price comes out to around 5057.00 plus im installing at no extra charge the bearings and rings for a fresh start. I also personally warrentee it to be without defect.
Pfft. Leave it on my bed contemplating. Nah, it wasn't like that. haha. I was gonna do it tell you decided you wanted it more then me. Your gonna miss the boost I guarantee it. But hey so am I. It's going to be a while now...

To the interested party. That is a steal and if I hadn't already bought an engine, I would be all over it. Good luck!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ALTRDTA
Pfft. Leave it on my bed contemplating. Nah, it wasn't like that. haha. I was gonna do it tell you decided you wanted it more then me. Your gonna miss the boost I guarantee it. But hey so am I. It's going to be a while now...

To the interested party. That is a steal and if I hadn't already bought an engine, I would be all over it. Good luck!!!

Well thanks there ALTRADTA on standing behind Bandit while he was busy out finishing his project 427. I thought it was a good deal as well. A person is always sceptical about purchasing used unless he is there to witness the use, even then sometimes? Your opinion did very much help and is much appreciated. Payment is being sent and can't wait to get this mean monster into my ride! I know it will be sometime before the project begins, probably winter, but will post results once the key is turned over. I can picture myself infront of the christmas tree already Thanks for the helpful thread and opinions everyone I can hardly wait
Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Launching!

No problem man.

I really wish I would have looked at his for sale thread again before I bought this other engine. I'm going NA for a while now but had I known it was that cheap I probably would have bought his engine and Procharger kit. Oh well. I'm going to "Try" and get everything I need before I try and go FI again.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Do you know what is even better on top of all that, he's bolting on a set of ported 6.0 heads. MLS gaskets, new bolts, etc. They are fully assembled with new rockers and hardened pudhrods and freshened up with new seals, springs, retainers, etc. Ported LS6 pump, double roller chain, etc. this was at extra cost though, but reasonable too. All I need is an intake and my assecories and I am rocking. He is a super nice guy and definetly not doing this for the money and thats how he's got a good name on here I guess. Alot of happy customers and you could pretty much add one more to the list, me of coarse So thanks again, and bump for awesome seller. I can't wait

Last edited by Websy21; 07-26-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Websy?? No need to like bust your ***** or anything but dam man, i contacted Chris about the motor before anyone from what i remember and you're already jumping all over it. I love how people just think they just show up on a post and own ****? I duno i guess its just me but then again i dont know whats going on with you and the current owner of the motor. Chris (bandit1) like we talked about on the phone im still good with the motor if you want to sell it to me that's cool and if you want to sell it to people butting in the middle of a thread thats cool too. I was waiting for your call about the shipping prices, but i guess i'll give you a call tomorrow, maybe i won't catch you while you're under the 427 this time
Old 07-26-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fenix999
Websy?? No need to like bust your ***** or anything but dam man, i contacted Chris about the motor before anyone from what i remember and you're already jumping all over it. I love how people just think they just show up on a post and own ****? I duno i guess its just me but then again i dont know whats going on with you and the current owner of the motor. Chris (bandit1) like we talked about on the phone im still good with the motor if you want to sell it to me that's cool and if you want to sell it to people butting in the middle of a thread thats cool too. I was waiting for your call about the shipping prices, but i guess i'll give you a call tomorrow, maybe i won't catch you while you're under the 427 this time
Ok where do I begin...........let me see. There is no calling dibs here if I am right? When was it your motor? I told him I wanted it we worked out a price now the payment is sent, I think that says sold to me? Not my problem that you never jumped on it! I don't screw around, I plain and simple wanted it so I am buying it and thats that Go and cry some more it seems to be working so far for you Thanks for coming out
Old 07-26-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Websy21
Ok where do I begin...........let me see. There is no calling dibs here if I am right? When was it your motor? I told him I wanted it we worked out a price now the payment is sent, I think that says sold to me? Not my problem that you never jumped on it! I don't screw around, I plain and simple wanted it so I am buying it and thats that Go and cry some more it seems to be working so far for you Thanks for coming out
first off, go **** off somewhere and then run out in front of a semi. Now seriously though, i spoke to chris and the motor was NOT sold to anyone i dont know when you talked to him? And lastly, we do call dibs in the for sale section but its more of a respect courtesy thing, which you have none of apparently. And one more thing, who was the first interested in the motor in the for sale section and who MADE this thread about the motor? Thank you. I dont know whats with people online thinking they're all rambo or something, did i hurt your feelings or something because i was asking a simple question, i didnt offend you at all. I guess its a canadian thing huh fruitcake
Old 07-26-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fenix999
first off, go **** off somewhere and then run out in front of a semi. Now seriously though, i spoke to chris and the motor was NOT sold to anyone i dont know when you talked to him? And lastly, we do call dibs in the for sale section but its more of a respect courtesy thing, which you have none of apparently. And one more thing, who was the first interested in the motor in the for sale section and who MADE this thread about the motor? Thank you. I dont know whats with people online thinking they're all rambo or something, did i hurt your feelings or something because i was asking a simple question, i didnt offend you at all. I guess its a canadian thing huh fruitcake
LOL, nice
Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats on the motor bro. Going Twin Turbo??
Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, but no I wish I had the heat to lay down for twins's. I am currently going with a D-1 to start of anyways. I think that should be enough for me for a while anyways, lol

Quick Reply: 2 Buy used boosted 408" iron shortblock or no?? "4500" miles, seen 700+rwhp already