Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wastegate Troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the travel on a new out of the box Tial 44, its exactly as your diagram, it opens what looks like about half way.

The positioning of the WG off his turbine feed looks ok to me, thats almost exactly how I have mine and I don't have any creep whatsoever! this is assuming the fabrication under the wrap is good and the junction/transition on the inside of the turbine feed pipe is very smooth.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can see the tube off of my "merge" pipe where my wastegate connects...it then goes down a short piece to the downpipe (not pictured)

you can see here where the wastegate attaches on mine

Old 07-24-2007, 01:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by EGash
I checked the travel on a new out of the box Tial 44, its exactly as your diagram, it opens what looks like about half way.

The positioning of the WG off his turbine feed looks ok to me, thats almost exactly how I have mine and I don't have any creep whatsoever! this is assuming the fabrication under the wrap is good and the junction/transition on the inside of the turbine feed pipe is very smooth.
Yeah its all smooth everything has been tig welded and anything protruding through was grinded down smooth with a grinding stone. It helped leaving the dump tube off and what clearanceing I did to make the valve open up further but it still is not enough.

Originally Posted by cablebandit
you can see the tube off of my "merge" pipe where my wastegate connects...it then goes down a short piece to the downpipe (not pictured)

you can see here where the wastegate attaches on mine

Mine merges similar to your so I dont think there is a problem there. What wastegate do you have?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
9 Second Club

i have a tial knockoff 44mm wg....a 88mm turbo with a 1.32 a/r exhaust housing and a 408. We should be trying to evacuate about the same amount of exhaust and i can get my boost down to 6 psi steady going thru a 3.5" downpipe to a 3" catback. make sure the diaphragm has no tears in it and you have it hooked up properly. are you SURE about the spring rating? i know you said you tried it with no spring as well....makes me wonder if it is hooked up correctly
Old 07-24-2007, 02:13 PM
9 Second Club

i have a tial knockoff 44mm wg....a 88mm turbo with a 1.32 a/r exhaust housing and a 408. We should be trying to evacuate about the same amount of exhaust and i can get my boost down to 6 psi steady going thru a 3.5" downpipe to a 3" catback. make sure the diaphragm has no tears in it and you have it hooked up properly. are you SURE about the spring rating? i know you said you tried it with no spring as well....makes me wonder if it is hooked up correctly
Going off of tial's website large red spring is .7bar 10.15psi. There aren't any tears, I have tried it from the compressor housing directly to the wastegate and from the manifold to the wastegate. You should be moveing more exhuast then I am thats why I don't understand why its not working properly. The only thing hurting me compared to your setup is you have a larger exhaust housing that will take more exhaust flow.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nutz'00 Z28
I disassembled my wastegate and did some clearanceing so that the valve would open all the way to the seat. Re-installed everything but I left the dump tube off and took it for a ride. First gear was fine it held 15psi pretty steady up to about 6500rpm then I shifted into second it went to 18psi and held there until I let out of it. So I guess the wastegate is to small. Has anyone ever ran 2 wastegate's on a single turbo car? It would be cheaper and easier for me to do this.
damn work server just kicked me off, I had this nice long post all typed up and now its gone. I'm not about to retype everything but here is a summary...

how much pressure did you apply to the WG in order to get it to crack open like the diagram you have above. You might already know this but a 12psi spring won't open up @ exactly 12psi. It will start to crack open more then likely around 8 or so psi and hopefully be fully open by 12#.

Twin WG setups on single turbo applications are a very common thing. small motors running huge turbos do it all the time to control boost. this works especially well with twin scroll turbines. There is alot of science behind it, most of which I don't understand, but the gist of it is that if you can get the cylinders that fire together to merge into a single collector, usually 4 into 1, and put one WG on each collector you'll create a scavaging effect and increase the efficency.

BTW, much props to you for doing all your own fabrication & trouble shooting.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost
damn work server just kicked me off, I had this nice long post all typed up and now its gone. I'm not about to retype everything but here is a summary...

how much pressure did you apply to the WG in order to get it to crack open like the diagram you have above. You might already know this but a 12psi spring won't open up @ exactly 12psi. It will start to crack open more then likely around 8 or so psi and hopefully be fully open by 12#.

Twin WG setups on single turbo applications are a very common thing. small motors running huge turbos do it all the time to control boost. this works especially well with twin scroll turbines. There is alot of science behind it, most of which I don't understand, but the gist of it is that if you can get the cylinders that fire together to merge into a single collector, usually 4 into 1, and put one WG on each collector you'll create a scavaging effect and increase the efficency.

BTW, much props to you for doing all your own fabrication & trouble shooting.
I just used a shop compressor with a nipple on it, probably 20 psi or so. After I did some modifications it opens all the way to the seat. I may just order another tial 44 and move the current one and put one on each pipe right before they merge. Wouldn't having them merge into the downpipe at a angle also create a scavaging effect?
Thanks for the compliment, its been about a 6 month project from start to finish. With a help of a few friends we did all the work here locally.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

i have a larger exhaust housing but also a larger motor so i would think we would be close. like i said..i can control down to 6 psi...that is having to evacuate a LOT of exhaust. i have a 7 ans 11psi spring both are close to their rating on mine. you had it from the turbo to the bottom/side port?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

i have a larger exhaust housing but also a larger motor so i would think we would be close. like i said..i can control down to 6 psi...that is having to evacuate a LOT of exhaust. i have a 7 ans 11psi spring both are close to their rating on mine. you had it from the turbo to the bottom/side port?
Yes sir, its on the side port. I know its moving alot of exhaust through the wastegate, when we dynoed it sunday after I backed off there was a large carbon black spot on the pavement from the dump tube. So its working just not enough??
Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

maybe you do need one more....for the money, i am happy with the tial knockoff...just DONT use the spring thats in them...mine was a 22psi...no color to tell you that or anything..just a spring
Old 07-24-2007, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nutz'00 Z28
blower design? Cheapest large wastegate I could find was around $550ish.

I had 3 of these and sold two. I held onto one for a good friends project but he's telling me now to sell it. Brand new in the box.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/708484-hks-gt-wastgates-sale.html

That's what I'm basing my pricing on.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Oh also I've seen guys using two mondo bypass valves on a supercharged application. Not quite the same as we're talking about here but the concept is really the same. Using two instead of one to bleed off pressure. Turbine versus output pressure of the blower. I guess it might be a stretch at that...LOL...
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

I am having the same problem, 383ci, PT91, with one 44mm Tial wastegate. with a 14 pound spring, it will hold steady at 20psi. I never run it at low boost so it doesn't bother me. I have been told the 44mm gate won't flow enough air and i should put a second gate on it. A friend of mine is running a 67mm twin scroll on a 1.8 liter Honda, using 2 into 1 collector for each side of the turbine housing, he runs two 44mm gates and controls boost with no problem.

Quick Reply: Wastegate Troubles?