Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC Design Flaw

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

not the intercooler or the rad's fault. need to have something as good as the stock fans that you removed.. you do have to consider though that making more hp will make more heat, so wide open you would expect temps to rise more for a higher hp level on a given rad/fan set up

that is all.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iron block seems to carry a little more temp than my aluminum did as well.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Josh@MASPORT, do you think that your FMIC is just as effective placed like that as one that is placed upright with the air traveling through the coils rather than in front of them like in your setup? I don't see how it would personally, but maybe you know something I don't.

I have EPP's FMIC. Having it installed prior to my supercharger, I noticed NO difference in engine temps. Once the supercharger was installed, then I noticed some engine temp increase. I combated it by adding a little more material to the air dam to the radiator. It seemed to help about 10 degrees. I don't think my FMIC is robbing the radiator any, I just think the car runs warmer from the supercharger. Then again, maybe its like Bob said, that the EPP kits don't seem to have issues.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a pic of mine to better explain. I didn't want to hack up my front bumber for my FMIC, so I just cut out the areas behind the fog lights, and then ran an air scoop that directs air to the FMIC below the front bumper to help direct air to my FMIC. Then I used the side pieces of the radiator air dam to mount slightly under the middle part of the air dam to help collect more air for the radiator. I scrape the ground every once in a great while, but not too often where it would be annoying. If you look down low, you can see all of this as in this picture, but regularly you don't see it at all, which was the plan from the get go.

Here's how the car looks normally, when your not looking at it from such a low angle with a bright light.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1290
With a fresh source of cold air and good fans, a FMIC is fine sitting in front of the radiator.

Keith

Hi Keith. I guess I am missing some things. I have the stock C6 Kit from Procharger. Don't get me wrong here, I love the power from the kit. What can I do to get more of a fresh source of air? Do you believe I can get better fans that the stock ones?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by CALL911
Josh@MASPORT, do you think that your FMIC is just as effective placed like that as one that is placed upright with the air traveling through the coils rather than in front of them like in your setup? I don't see how it would personally, but maybe you know something I don't.

I have EPP's FMIC. Having it installed prior to my supercharger, I noticed NO difference in engine temps. Once the supercharger was installed, then I noticed some engine temp increase. I combated it by adding a little more material to the air dam to the radiator. It seemed to help about 10 degrees. I don't think my FMIC is robbing the radiator any, I just think the car runs warmer from the supercharger. Then again, maybe its like Bob said, that the EPP kits don't seem to have issues.
i think its almost more efective. in hot humid florida days, like 90plus degrees. the IAT never go over 95, and at crusiing at 50-60mph the IAT is about 80degrees.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TS6
As mentioned, none of the airflow to your radiator comes from the front of the car in stock configuration. It comes up from underneath, via the airdam. Check it out. If you have altered that airdam/shroud at all, you may have cooling problems.

On a C6? I am pretty sure the radiator gets air through the big opeining in the front facia. I'd be shocked if this isn't the case.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:14 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by c5_from_jc
On a C6? I am pretty sure the radiator gets air through the big opeining in the front facia. I'd be shocked if this isn't the case.

Prepare to be shocked........
Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Josh@MASPORT
i think its almost more efective. in hot humid florida days, like 90plus degrees. the IAT never go over 95, and at crusiing at 50-60mph the IAT is about 80degrees.
But how would it be more effective if there is no air being force fed through it? The air just passes by the front. I'm sure it still works as your IAT's show it does. I'm just not convinced it works better than being stood upright, just as I know mine would be more effective if I hacked up my front bumper to allow more air flow through mine.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

But how would it be more effective if there is no air being force fed through it? The air just passes by the front. I'm sure it still works as your IAT's show it does. I'm just not convinced it works better than being stood upright, just as I know mine would be more effective if I hacked up my front bumper to allow more air flow through mine.
my entire front bumber is now hollow, so TONS of air is sucked in and ran thru the radiator and through the IC directly beneath it. it also stays away from all the heat in that area around the radiator.

and its almost the opposite with the vertical IC, that way the metal frame is directly behind it and keeps air from flowing all the way through, so unless u cut out the front metal frame, that will happen anyway
Old 07-25-2007, 05:40 AM
TECH Addict

I guess I still fail to see how that would be BETTER than a standing upright FMIC. The FMIC has access to the air prior to its air flow through the radiator. There's no way you will get the same air flow through your IC as one sitting up front getting all the direct air on it would. Not to mention the secondary air you will be getting will be first heated by the radiator. If anything it would seem to me that your heated air from the radiator would hurt your IC performance more than being in close proximity to it.

When it comes down to it, this will never be proved one way or another unless specifically, you or someone else tries their setup BOTH ways and sees which is better at cooling the IAT's. Until then, we may just have to agree to disagree

my entire front bumber is now hollow, so TONS of air is sucked in and ran thru the radiator and through the IC directly beneath it. it also stays away from all the heat in that area around the radiator.

and its almost the opposite with the vertical IC, that way the metal frame is directly behind it and keeps air from flowing all the way through, so unless u cut out the front metal frame, that will happen anyway
Old 07-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Keith. I guess I am missing some things. I have the stock C6 Kit from Procharger. Don't get me wrong here, I love the power from the kit. What can I do to get more of a fresh source of air? Do you believe I can get better fans that the stock ones?
Like the C5, the C6 has no openings on the front facsia. To get more air to the intercooler and radiator on my C5, I removed the fog light shrouds and opened up the area behind the front license plate. I then modified the front license plate cover; made a big hole and cover it is ZO6 screen material.

Front Lisense Opening

Front License Cover

As far as fans, there many that flow more than the stock fans. To use them though, you will need to modify the rear fan shroud or make a new one. I will be added a bigger radiator and better fans here in a bit.

Keith
Old 07-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

I guess I still fail to see how that would be BETTER than a standing upright FMIC. The FMIC has access to the air prior to its air flow through the radiator. There's no way you will get the same air flow through your IC as one sitting up front getting all the direct air on it would. Not to mention the secondary air you will be getting will be first heated by the radiator. If anything it would seem to me that your heated air from the radiator would hurt your IC performance more than being in close proximity to it.

When it comes down to it, this will never be proved one way or another unless specifically, you or someone else tries their setup BOTH ways and sees which is better at cooling the IAT's. Until then, we may just have to agree to disagree
well my IATs prove my theory, also my radiator is so far away from my IC that air will never go through both of them, the bumper is like a room with 2 windows, half the air goes thru the radiator, half goes under through the IC.

and on top of that i have very high velocity air underneath the vehicle flowing directly over the cooling fins, much more air then the inside of the bumper sees
Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I don't have a suggestion, that is why I am asking the question. Maybe this is the reason NA is the way to go?
Some people prefer to make some power though.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Some people prefer to make some power though.
Powers good
Old 07-26-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Junkie

My radiator is in the stock position. It gets air from under the bumper on a Firebird/TA so I don't see how an FMIC blocks it unless they are both upright with the FMIC right in front of it.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TS6
Prepare to be shocked........
Old 07-26-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine doesn't

I got proof. I road race mine. Nothing tests a cooling system like full throttle between 30 and 135mph and back for 20 minutes at a time. Then again, it does get a little extra cooling when I slam on the brakes for the next corner.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

well my IATs prove my theory, also my radiator is so far away from my IC that air will never go through both of them, the bumper is like a room with 2 windows, half the air goes thru the radiator, half goes under through the IC.

and on top of that i have very high velocity air underneath the vehicle flowing directly over the cooling fins, much more air then the inside of the bumper sees
I know you system works. So does the front mounted FMIC. There's no way to prove one way or another which is better except if you tried both setups on the exact same FI car and looked to see which had the lower IAT.

Personally, I still fail to see how it will be as effective as a FMIC sitting upright. Think of how much wind comes at your face and in your car going 55 MPH with the windows down. Now consider how much wind would be in your face and in the car if you were travelling 55 MPH with no front windshield. Air flow is all the difference in the effectiveness in the intercoolers ability.

Again, both systems are proven to work effectively, but without trying each system seperatly in the same car, there's no way to prove that one is better than the other.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1290
Like the C5, the C6 has no openings on the front facsia. To get more air to the intercooler and radiator on my C5, I removed the fog light shrouds and opened up the area behind the front license plate. I then modified the front license plate cover; made a big hole and cover it is ZO6 screen material.

Front Lisense Opening

Front License Cover

As far as fans, there many that flow more than the stock fans. To use them though, you will need to modify the rear fan shroud or make a new one. I will be added a bigger radiator and better fans here in a bit.

Keith

That is very cool! thanks for sharing the pictures...it certainly gives me something to think about that is for sure. I'll talk to my tuner about this too.