Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just How Loud is a Supercharger Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just How Loud is a Supercharger Kit?

I'm looking into a supercharger for a 1999 Z/28. This is for street use, so just how annoying is the whine?

Just how loud is a supercharger kit? Has anyone measured? If so, I'll ask some values for each kit.

How many dB @ Idle, 2,500 RPM and 5,000 RPM for...

ATI D-1SC @ 7Lbs Boost
Vortech 9Lb
Powerdyne 6lb

Ive got questions, do you have answers?

scoleiri
Old 05-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Just How Loud is a Supercharger Kit?

Most superchargers now days use a bypass valve, so while cruising or at idle, there is no additional noise. It is possible, using superhuman restraint of the foot, to drive in a mild fashion without ever being under boost, and have no additional noise. I have not measured my Magnacharger, but there is a noticeable growl/whine when you get into boost mode, but on such occasions I don't mind hearing it
Old 05-20-2003, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ATI bleeds to the atmosphere at idle and cruising - high vacuum situations. That creastes a pretty loud whistle at idle, but when you get on it the whistle goes away and you can just hear the supercharger gears spooling up. Here's a clip of mine, no DB readings though. I love the sound...I don't think I could drive without it.

http://www.californiamasseys.com/formula_ati_temp.mpg
Old 05-20-2003, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, the sound of the D-1 at cruise is nice, at idle everyone knows whats under the hood, I will probably upgrade to an F-1 head unit soon, and that sucker is supposed to be real loud...
Old 05-20-2003, 10:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Loud enough for the 'stang beside you to creep away, avoiding your eyes.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:24 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you feel the whine would be "annoying", don't buy one.

My Vortech is quite loud at idle. Combo of whistle and the whirring of the gears. IMHO, it sounds cool and intimidating as hell. I have had a couple cars BACK DOWN from a race when they heard it. Just what Black LS1 T/A was referring to. It really has happened.

When I pull into the parking lot on cruise night, heads turn from 40 yards away. When I park, a small crowd will gather and ask that I lift the hood. (They heard the blower from a distance and walked over).

If you are not wanting an "in your face" aggressive whine and whirring that says "Yes, I have a blower. Step aside" Then shop around carefully for a quiet one. A Vortech 9 lb kit is not for you.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't even want my blower without the whine and noise. It sounds childish I know, but I love the attention that thing gets you. And not just from old men either,,,there are plenty of young girls that appreciate it too...

Mike M
Old 05-23-2003, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

Mine seems to be fairly quiet as far as d1sc's go. I've gotten used to it enough that I don't hear it excpet at idle. Engine/exhaust noise seems to drown it out at wot.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

My F1 is absolutely loud and sounds BADA$$, If you think the sound will be annoying then dont buy one..
Old 05-23-2003, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

If you feel the whine would be "annoying", don't buy one.

My Vortech is quite loud at idle. Combo of whistle and the whirring of the gears. IMHO, it sounds cool and intimidating as hell. I have had a couple cars BACK DOWN from a race when they heard it. Just what Black LS1 T/A was referring to. It really has happened.

When I pull into the parking lot on cruise night, heads turn from 40 yards away. When I park, a small crowd will gather and ask that I lift the hood. (They heard the blower from a distance and walked over).

If you are not wanting an "in your face" aggressive whine and whirring that says "Yes, I have a blower. Step aside" Then shop around carefully for a quiet one. A Vortech 9 lb kit is not for you.
Werd, I've only had mine out one day and I had every mechanic in one gas station come out to check it out and ask questions. I also had a Cobra driver who I passed earlier in the day drive by my house, ask for the firehawk Driver, and then asked if it was superchargered. :-D

That was a cool day

Mike
Old 05-23-2003, 01:45 PM

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Guys rush out to ask questions when I pull up to the parts store or park in a parking lot.

Even with the faster race cars that are trailered up to the drag strip, a bigger crowd gathers around my car at the staging lanes. I can hardly race for asking questions.

The other day, a young lady stared at me as I pulled up next to her in a parking lot. She said, "Wow! That sounds like the Batmobile."

I drove thru the Kroger parking lot to get to the Blockbuster Video store and some employees outside smoking yelled at me, asking me to romp it.

Man, you are missing "Way Cool!" if you don't want one of these.

Oh... occasionally a mechanic will ask me do I have a bad power-steering pump.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

I used to open my cutout for attention... Now I close it
Old 05-27-2003, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superchargers definitely sound cool on a car. If you know someone with a turbo car, depending on where the cutout is, opening it makes the squeal even louder Friend in his turbo Z got some attention in st louis at the world ford challenge while driving through the pits, sounds like an F16 getting ready to take off
Old 05-29-2003, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most of the guys are missing your point on this. Sure sometimes its cool to have the blower noise but I think your worried about it being annoying when your not showing off. I had these same concerns. My first blower was a Vortech g-trim SQ which you could almost not even hear so there is no issue of that one being too loud. When I upgraded I was torn between the S-trim SQ or the T-trim. I ended up going with the T-trim because I did not want to leave 100hp on the table. I asked Mike at RMCR if they could ask that the tolerances be made to where the T could be made as quiet as possible. He said they could. I don't know if this is really true or not. My blower is pretty quiet. I was almost disappointed because it really doesn't turn many heads from the sound unless its someone in the know. Inside the car its reasonable and you really only notice it at idle. Vortech told me I would have to shut the car off to talk at drive-thrus. Its a little loud but I can leave it running. Some people say that the loudness can vary from blower to blower. I have also heard that mine may get louder as it breaks in. If you want the quietest blower I would call RMCR and get a S-trimSQ. I think they stopped making the G-trimSQ, right? Or you could get one used. I still have my old head unit and bracket if interested but I'm using the rest of the kit.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:11 AM

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I think most of the guys are missing your point on this.
I don't think we're missing the point.

Part of getting a Supercharger is getting the sound, in most of our opinions. If he doesn't want some whine, he needs to try something else.

That's not to say the info you gave him is not good. It is. You CAN often get different levels of whine from the difference in the cut of the gears. Also, I've found the smaller SC pulley I have the less gear whine I get from the ATI and the more whistle I get at idle.

If you are willing to wait a couple weeks for the manufacturer to go thru a run of gears and truly pick out the tightest-cut gears for your blower, you MAY luck out. They don't generally cut for a specific blower order... to accomodate guys who want a quieter SC of the same line (or the loudest), they pick the loudest or quietest from a batch that they have run.

But, in my experience on this board, guys are screaming for the whole kit to get to them from the moment they order. That leaves little room for a maker to pick out a SC for them based on dB level.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love the power, but I would not have gotten a blower if it didn't have the sound. That's a HUGE part of the appeal - at least for me.

Mike M
Old 05-29-2003, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Black LS1 TA. You are missing the point. He ask how annoying the whine is. Then many proceeded to say how badass it sounds or how intimidating it is. I'm sure he's aware of those things he just wants to know if it becomes annoying on a day to day basis when nobody is around but just him in the car. Also he can have a supercharger and no noise (almost) with the Super Quiet Vortech. I don't like my car loud either so I know what he's talikng about. I would have got a T-trim SQ if they made one. I still run the stock exhaust. How crazy is that. If I get on the car I don't want to wake the dead.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

I just got got my D1sc installed and was actually surprised how quit it is. With the radio at normal levels I can barely here it, only at idle. On the road I don't notice it at all. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:47 AM

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I don't miss the point. I heard what he said. MOST of us are incredulous that guys don't recognize MOST fast cars are noisy, whether it is exhuast or blower whine. That's part of the game.

I didn't say there are not guys who want "quiet" fast cars. It's just that, unless they can afford a Turbo Porche, they are in the minority. The first thing that most of the guys are trying to say is that there is NOISE associated with a Supercharger. The second thing we're trying to say is to get over it if you want a Supercharger... that's a CHARACTERISTIC of a Supercharger!

And THEN we're trying to say there are advantages.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

You can have your cake and eat it too. Just get the SQ.

Quick Reply: Just How Loud is a Supercharger Kit?