Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ok Turbo Cam Masters!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@MASPORT
i have a 207/230 it spools my TC-76 very fast but the powercurve is high because of the 121 LSA.

if i did it again i would go with a 215/230 on a 115
VERY interesting splits. And a 121 LSA
Old 08-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

225/225 .581/.581 113LSA

nothing wrong with a bit of overlap in a turbo cam.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No one is going to get me to buy a one cam fits all theory. No way ONE cam is going to work well with everything from a 347ci to a 454ci with different heads, gearing, etc..
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Dynojet Fan

Originally Posted by VINCE
No one is going to get me to buy a one cam fits all theory. No way ONE cam is going to work well with everything from a 347ci to a 454ci with different heads, gearing, etc..
Go have a talk with turbo people.... they will set you up real good... just ask boweryboy and major....
Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is that no one (that is talking) has done enough cam testing with one particular combination to know what's best, let alone different cid's, heads, converter, etc. . .
Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree, all depends on the application as the cam always is. The best way to expain it would be to say that the cam should be the last thing ever chosen within your combo.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

If this is for your twin turbo 408, I would go along the lines of the reccommended cam from speed inc, but only larger. I'd say that would be a good one for stock cubes. If its for the 408, go with either a 114 or 115LSA around or just above .060 to .061 lift. Duration high 23# - 24#, but all depends on your intake and exhaust flow, nevermind your acctual needs. Do you mind the lope, want power under the curve, top end, etc? But generally I'd reccommend running close to a single pattern, but there are many guys running forward and reverse splits, but again application, etc. I don't think a couple degree's and lift here and there are really going to make all that big of a difference. But if it was me I'd go somewhere in there. Do I have alot of experience within this issue, NO, but I was originally going to go turbo and extensively researched and talked to many amoung this issue. As I always do, research it to death. There is really no other way unless you want to go by trial and error which many do. The guy who is building my engine right now is doing a 427 and I think he has changed the cam in it twice within the last, overkill for me. But I guess he'll be happy in the long run. Good luck with your decision, I am sure you'll get your answer. Maybe Predator will chime in, he is always worth the advise in any area. Especially cams the Guru!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by engineermike
The problem is that no one (that is talking) has done enough cam testing with one particular combination to know what's best, let alone different cid's, heads, converter, etc. . .
I fear you are correct. Yet some give out advice like they have tested every cam in every combo.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Websy21
If this is for your twin turbo 408, I would go along the lines of the reccommended cam from speed inc, but only larger. I'd say that would be a good one for stock cubes. If its for the 408, go with either a 114 or 115LSA around or just above .060 to .061 lift. Duration high 23# - 24#, but all depends on your intake and exhaust flow, nevermind your acctual needs. Do you mind the lope, want power under the curve, top end, etc? But generally I'd reccommend running close to a single pattern, but there are many guys running forward and reverse splits, but again application, etc. I don't think a couple degree's and lift here and there are really going to make all that big of a difference. But if it was me I'd go somewhere in there. Do I have alot of experience within this issue, NO, but I was originally going to go turbo and extensively researched and talked to many amoung this issue. As I always do, research it to death. There is really no other way unless you want to go by trial and error which many do. The guy who is building my engine right now is doing a 427 and I think he has changed the cam in it twice within the last, overkill for me. But I guess he'll be happy in the long run. Good luck with your decision, I am sure you'll get your answer. Maybe Predator will chime in, he is always worth the advise in any area. Especially cams the Guru!
I posted this thread because I was getting asked questions I could not answer. This is not about my car. I already have something in the works. Then I am moving on to my Supra and then the truck..
Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 AM
8 Second Club

Vince how much boost are you seeing and what's the corresponding rwhp?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Insted of a dyno graph for each cam it would be nice to see what one gets a particular combo down the track quicker and faster.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I bought the TU1 cam for my twin turbo set up. Well see what it can do.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

You can always talk to Patrick and tell him what you want and what the setup is. Its probably your best bet, because your right, us who are talking don't have extensive experience. I just try to help out as much as I can, if at all. I really appreciate different people's opinions wether I agree or disagree with them. It always seems to help out in some way. I can only generalize, as I think anybody really can with the given info. I think the biggest deciding factor is the application that it is going in. Is the intake more restrictive or is the exhaust? Are both, or neither? This would solve the split pattern I believe. I'd trust Patrick's advise as he has done several different combo's etc and really know his cams. Just my opinion though.........
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question is too vague. We could be talking about a stock car with an aps system or a race car with twin 88's.

As always I believe you should have horsepower/driveability and et/mph goals and build an entire combination to meet those goals. With that in mind, 2 otherwise identical combinations may end up with different "optimal" camshafts in order to meet those goals.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the truth is dont think cams are very critical in forced induction applications.
Unless you are blowing all the boost out or something. Seems you see good dynos with all sorts of cams. the split durations each way,the non split..the high lift, mid lift and big lsa ,the not so big lsa. Forced induction tends to make up for a lot in cams and heads. You are forcing the air thru at high psi.

I went with a lingenfelter gt7 from comp .Figure they know a thing or two about turbocharging after having put out some of the very fastest turbo cars even built.
Like their twin turbo 427 vette that does 0 to 60 in 1.97 seconds!

The gt7 is standard split I think its called and fairly mild lift but high lsa. I think the cam above with the 121 is same maybe? I was thinking new gt11 for a 408 or 427 and its way higher lift and a bit less lsa. But thinking the gt7 will be a nice sleeper and still do a good job. And be easy on springs and don't really need much lope.Not an old muscle car.

There is also the gt3 with a bit more lift than the gt7 and a bit smaller lsa.Think they used it in lots of their turbo and super projects until the gt7 and now gt11 replaced it.

Also the lingenfelter cams for turbos look a lot like the stock z06 factory cams for specs so if you can get one of those for cheap I think there you go.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Vince you need to know the specific specs of your turbos as well as exhaust manifold design etc. You could likely have turbos that are not optimal for your cubes and require a "crutch" with cam timing to help relieve backpressure etc

You should list the whole combo with as much detail as possible and then see what people come back with...
Old 08-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Question is too vague. We could be talking about a stock car with an aps system or a race car with twin 88's.

As always I believe you should have horsepower/driveability and et/mph goals and build an entire combination to meet those goals. With that in mind, 2 otherwise identical combinations may end up with different "optimal" camshafts in order to meet those goals.
Let's use the stock car with a C5 APS system for example. Customer want all the things you mentioned above. What would you recommend and why?

Then turn around and use the race car with twin 88's and let's say its a 427ci with heads that flow 330 cfm on the intake and 230 cfm on the exhaust.. The car is a F-body with a 6 speed. This customer is looking for good track times.. Low 9's to high 8's..
Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by eb02z06
Vince how much boost are you seeing and what's the corresponding rwhp?
I dont have a lot of dyno time. I should be on the dyno again in the next couple of weeks. I have only dyno'd off the waste gate spring. That is 12.5 to 13psi.. The few times I have been on the dyno I have made from 714rwhp to 760rwhp on a mustang dyno.. Each pull I was getting symptoms of valvefloat and false KR per datalogging.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Let's use the stock car with a C5 APS system for example. Customer want all the things you mentioned above. What would you recommend and why?
I generally pick valve events and let the duration, LSA, and advance fall out where they may. For that combo, I would go with something like:

IVC: 42
IVO: 2 B
EVC: 2 A
EVO: 52

For 224/234-112.5, +2.5

Of course, this could move around a bit depending on turbo choice, gear, etc. . .

Then turn around and use the race car with twin 88's and let's say its a 427ci with heads that flow 330 cfm on the intake and 230 cfm on the exhaust.. The car is a F-body with a 6 speed. This customer is looking for good track times.. Low 9's to high 8's..
With twin 88's on a 427 with big heads to run low 9's/high 8's, the cam choice really wouldn't matter. You could go with anything from stock to 262/266-102 and it'd still get there. . .

Mike
Old 08-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by engineermike
I generally pick valve events and let the duration, LSA, and advance fall out where they may. For that combo, I would go with something like:

IVC: 42
IVO: 2 B
EVC: 2 A
EVO: 52

For 224/234-112.5, +2.5

Of course, this could move around a bit depending on turbo choice, gear, etc. . .

With twin 88's on a 427 with big heads to run low 9's/high 8's, the cam choice really wouldn't matter. You could go with anything from stock to 262/266-102 and it'd still get there. . .

Mike
Any particular reason not to go reverse split?

Quick Reply: Ok Turbo Cam Masters!!