Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

which supercharger for my lt1

Old 08-30-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which supercharger for my lt1

i have a specially built 396 lt1. its completely boost ready and will handle up to 25 psi even though i only plan on running about 15-20psi. my question is, is which supercharger does everyone think will best suit my application. i really want to hear the supercharger wine. i was thinking a vortech t trim for quite awhile but does anyone have any different opinions?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

procharger f1c or f1r if u really want to hear it whine.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

how do those procharger systems compare to a vortech system as far as reliablity. i want to be able to drive this car and race it.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
how do those procharger systems compare to a vortech system as far as reliablity. i want to be able to drive this car and race it.
Order the procharger catalog, they make a fairly convincing argument for Prochargers over Vortech.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

i have the the catalog. i just think the vortech is cleaner and better looking. but i mean if the procharger is mroe reliable then im going to run that.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

give Bob a call at Exotic Performance PLus.They are a sponsor and ask him about procharger.I am sure at the end of the conversation u will end up getting a procharger. He is the one when it comes to prochargers.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Internet Mechanic

i have the the catalog. i just think the vortech is cleaner and better looking. but i mean if the procharger is mroe reliable then im going to run that.
Vortech by far is NOT cleaner looking, its rather gaudy and clutters the engine bay and the optional cooler sits ontop of the motor.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

i just dont want to cut away my bumper cover for a frount mount or twin intercoolers.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

There is no cutting your bumper with the twin intercoolers as they run horizontal parallel to the ground.

+1 for procharger
Old 08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

anyone else have an opinion
Old 08-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Default procharger

I have a procharger on mine with the twin intercooler set up. I am running 60 lb injectors and 14.6 pounds of boost the head unit is a ds1c if i was you i would go with a f1 so it dont have to work as hard as mine. your motor should flow pretty good so it is even harder to get your psi up their so go wih the f1 the kit from procharger works great and fits like a glove. my 383 stroker with 14.6 boost dyno @602 hp 568 tq @6100 rpm. one thing i can tell you is not to use the fuel presure regulator that comes with the kit buy a much better one so your fuel presure is more constant in the fuel rails.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

isnt the f1 for a carbureated motor?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just dont want to cut away my bumper cover for a frount mount or twin intercoolers.

Um if you want power stop complaining
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else have an opinion
if you want it to be reliable go with vortech. If you want noise go with procharger. With an lt1 theres already cluttler so calling one or other more cluttler like looking is stupid you cant even see the damn thing.
I spent over 30 men hours getting my procharger to stop eating belts, then after all the hard work it exploded on me, procharger wouldnt give me a penny off the price of the new head unit so i ditched it.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

it aint really complaining. i would keep saying it if i were complaining. im just trying to avoid a situation. so far most people are saying go with the pro charger system. but the last post makes me want the vortech system. i mean im using this for a street strip car. i want something thats going to be reliable, wine, and be fast when i need it. little red z have u run a vortech setup?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it aint really complaining. i would keep saying it if i were complaining. im just trying to avoid a situation. so far most people are saying go with the pro charger system. but the last post makes me want the vortech system. i mean im using this for a street strip car. i want something thats going to be reliable, wine, and be fast when i need it. little red z have u run a vortech setup?
yes, if you know superchargers you would understand that most companys make a **** bracket that flexes there are a few solutions. SDE takes your ati bracket and modifies it so it dosent flex and cause belt slip.Like i said i know ls1 guys dont have this problem but with my D1 12rib kit i had a hard time aligning everything. I spent 30+ hours just to make it to stop eating and throwing belts,30+ hours later and $25 per belt x20 at least.
You can also Contact Z8s(chris) he makes Vortech brackets that are some of the highest quality work, then you can buy a head unit that fits your style, t trim or ysi is what i run.I run a coged Ysi even though i havent had it on the car for more then few weeks i'm already in love because of how much less noisy it is.
At first i was all about the noise like you are i thought i was the coolest thing ever untill i got to drive it for more then a week. I pretty much got way too much attention on the street, then at the track people wouldnt leave me alone because of the whine i had croweds looking at my car and asking question while i was trying to work bugs out, pretty much it got annoying real fast.
good luck to whatever you decide.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

in that pic what setup is that? do you have a pic of your current vortech setup? whats the ysi setup ive never heard of it? i was honestly thinking of running the t trim setup before someone was like run the procharger. does that vortech setup whine a little bit atleast?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

wow, vortech reliability greater than procharger This is the first I've heard that argument. I've had prochargers on both my 96 Z28 and my 02 T/A. I've had 3 different head units now for a combined 75k miles, and never had a problem with them at all. I put over 50k on my LT1 P-1SC setup, and 25k on my LS1 P1SC setup. Just got the F1 in this week. Only problem I EVER had was the idler pulley on my LT1 kit seized up and threw the belt. But I bought the kit used, and the guy I bought it from recommended I change it because it was showing signs of wear- and I ignored him. My fault completely as the idler pulley should be considered a routine maintenance item. Nothing personal, but I'd have to disagree with LittleRedZ's statement.

Oh- and for the record, my buddies 95 Z28 with a vortech had a WAY nosier whine than my P1SC ever did. When they were idling side by side, you couldn't even hear mine at all over his.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

hmmm for you guys running the f1 prochargers is that a custom setup or is it a kit like the ds1c? what kit was your buddy running? if i ran the vortech it would be the t trim.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

in that pic what setup is that? do you have a pic of your current vortech setup? whats the ysi setup ive never heard of it? i was honestly thinking of running the t trim setup before someone was like run the procharger. does that vortech setup whine a little bit atleast?
i know t trim whines pretty good, you cannot buy a ysi kit from vortech that is why i explain how you can acomplish that.
first time start up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB1jHeKFZa4
like i said under the hood you really cant see the blower it self but heres a shot

dont mind the mess its not a show car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which supercharger for my lt1