Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS9 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its the intake valve thats too big. Go to Texas Speed and look up the ported L92s, they say that you must have at least a 4" bore. Belive me, if we could take advantage of them we would.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope the LSA supercharger will be a bit less expensive.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe so, since its a smaller blower at only 1.9 liters, compared to the 2.3l on the ZR1. Only time will tell. If GM wants to "give a little back" to their loyal gen III fans then they will make a blower available to the public for a decent rate.

So far they have given us:
-The "Hot" and ASA cams ... which kinda suck if you ask me (I've got a hotcam so I can rag on it)
-L92 heads for DIRT cheap
-L76 intake/Tbody/Rails/Injectors for DIRT freakin cheap
-LSX block which is the ultimate gift to us

If they could give us a blower for dirt cheap then they would once again corner the budget minded performance sector of the industry. Sales of a blower kit shouldnt hurt the overall image of the ZR1 or CTSV because only hard-core folks who are willing to tear a Gen III engine "with all them dang sensors n' computers n' hoses" to pieces could actually make use of it.

The only thing that I could see being a problem is if the baseline vette and the ZR1 have a price difference that far surpasses the price of the supercharger kit. Even the people who can afford the ZR1 will still pick up on some rumor of how the standard vette is only a $2000 supercharger away from being a car that costs $30k or $40k or what ever the difference is. That could be our biggest obstacle.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

besides the supercharger, the accessory setup will be a PITA to get to work on anything. someone would have to make a full custom belt setup to work on other motors. and a pulley spacer would be needed for f-body accessory drive.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
The only thing that I could see being a problem is if the baseline vette and the ZR1 have a price difference that far surpasses the price of the supercharger kit. Even the people who can afford the ZR1 will still pick up on some rumor of how the standard vette is only a $2000 supercharger away from being a car that costs $30k or $40k or what ever the difference is. That could be our biggest obstacle.
those are the mid life crisis people, not people who want the $15000 brakes.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Frankly the HP number and blower in this car isn't the most impressive, its the parts like the brakes, extensive carbon fiber use. 620 fwhp is impressive, but these days isn't amazing. Car is still great though. A bargain at twice the price in the world of supercars.

But I don't see GM letting you be able to get your hands on one of these blowers very cheap, at least not initially.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

I think that for the mid-life crisis people, usually they see the HP as the biggest difference, second to the difference in the way it may look. Typically they cant recognize koni as being better than monroe, etc.

If they did release a blower I imagine a sponsor would take it upon themselves to fab up a "kit" that would work for us. I wouldnt bet that GM would do the leg work there.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

We need to get the dude from SDPC to come on over.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

so when i call gm. if is say i want eh ls3 block or the ls9 block. will it what the same part number?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will probably be the "same" block but will obviously have subtle difference that in the end make a HUGE difference. Maybe they'll include different ways of oiling the rotating assembly since it is supercharged from the factory. Take a note that ALL turbo/supercharged cars FROM FACTORY are very well built compared to their non turbo versions, and im sure GM will not just "slap" together a supercharger on a basic LS3/L92 block. But hey anythign is possible and if thats the case i see ALOT of us guys having these blowers in the future. Liek everyone has mentioned i hope the proice wont be extremely bad because you still have to buy sveral things and do quite some customization to get everything to function properly on a fbody or older vette. Belt alignment and pulley configuration and the accessories are probably gonna be a bitch to figure out since everything is setup in a weird way. The throtte body is retarded looking on the LS9 ZR1 vette, its facing up and at an angle so hopefully everything works out for us fbody guys, i would be all over that in the future when its available
Old 01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe this crazy blower will require a cowl hood on our part just to fit...
Old 01-31-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the blower will be pretty pricey. It's a limited run 100k dollar car. The only reason internal components for Gen IV stuff are cheap is because they are used over a large range of cars and trucks.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Maybe this crazy blower will require a cowl hood on our part just to fit...
.....with a see-through window to show the blower off
Old 01-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

when do you think the blcok will go on the market? i was going to buy a ls3 blcok. but i am still waiting on some stuff. so maybe i will wait for the ls9 block
Old 01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

This is just what I have heard and should not be consider completely accurate.

2300TVS Blower should be good for +900HP, the blower only is $6000us. It probably could be adapted to the Magnacharger Manifold with the proper drive shaft. But this would be very expensive.

Eaton took back their exclusive from Magnuson so this blower can be adapted by anyone now.

There is a blower from Australia, Harrop.au, however there are in my opinion some functional issues with that design.

It will not fit on a C5 or the F-bodies, the blower drives are behind the Block so those pullies will almost interfere with your built in radio! Very Very poorly thought out. Compact design was not in that discussion.

Next, the Front drive pulley is the first device from the crank pulley, this is why the procharges are not reliable. They had to add a 10v belt set up to keep the belt in place, but there is still a traction issue.

I have basically given up on the availability of this blower because people like John Lingenfelter are not around to champion the cause.

The easiest solution would be parts directly from GM for a kit, This would also preclude anyone from building a unique kit, who would want to go up against GM as a source?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

For the love of God (and really old threads), where the hell are we in this issue. I know the blowers exist, I know part numbers are floating around out there, people have called about it... hell, I think I even remember a sponsor talking about it.

SDPC, if you've got the full scoop on this, then FOR THE LOVE OF GOD let us know what's goin on!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

The LS9 crate engine is over 11k MORE than the LS7 crate motor.....if that helps you any.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

nice.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

I think we're all dreamin about being able to go to the chevy parts counter with about $3k and coming home with a blower setup that only requires a few trips to home depot before its smokin clutches. We can probably dream on
Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the part # and I called for the price. It was 2700.00, then u have to buy a heat exchanger for it. Then u have to change all the pulleys to be the right spacing from the block so they line up.

Quick Reply: LS9 Supercharger