Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what the heat exchanger runs?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

is this thing even available for the public?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, i never really thought bout this, just read through this whole thread, very intriguing. cant wait for some more info.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris'stransam
I have the part # and I called for the price. It was 2700.00, then u have to buy a heat exchanger for it. Then u have to change all the pulleys to be the right spacing from the block so they line up.
the pulley as long as its 6 rib, is no prob for me. acc. easy to modify for correct spacing
Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is a thread floating around with part numbers for the blower and the intercooler. I checked them on GM parts direct a couple months back and I think both parts (total less shipping) were around $3,600... now that I think about it, that might have been for the Cadillac LSA blower and intercooler... I really don't remember.

I am guessing you would next need to get the LS9 crank pulley because it has a separate belt for the supercharger. I am pretty sure the LSA runs with 3 belts - one for the blower, one for the accessories, and one for the A/C. I think the LS9 did some weird stuff where the blower belt also ran the alternator or steering pump or something? I think the LS9 also runs an 8 rib belt on the blower, as opposed to the 6 rib on the Cadillac.

I also hopes someone does one of these swaps, too. If I ever actually get my car running (progress is soooo slow when you're always out of town) I am going to buy an LSA blower and intercooler (my buddy works for Eaton) and find a way to make it work.

From everything I have seen so far, it looks like it will be easier and cheaper to integrate the LSA blower than it will the LS9 blower.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

a 6 rib pulley blower will be alot easier to adapt and tun off the stock crank pulley.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow $3600 is not bad and would be a awesome set up if it would fit a Fbody
Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

My goal would be to fit the blower/intercooler to an LS1-LS6 based engine.

The first issue would be the actual fitment of the blower to the heads. The LS3 heads have a different port shape and I think a different bolt pattern (where the intake manifold bolts onto the head) than the LS1 heads.

The first order of business: someone needs to make a spacer plate that goes between the blower assembly and the head. The plate has to act as an interface adapter between the blower and the heads.

Maybe it's easier than that - maybe you can tap holes in the LS1 heads that line up with the holes on the blower? If there's enough material left in the right places, it would be a simpler and more straightforward approach. The only thing you would have to deal with would be the different port shapes. If the LS3-LS9 is as tall as the LS1-LS6 port, you could probably get away with porting the LS1-LS6 heads to fit the larger ports on the blower.

Third option - and it's a long shot - drill new holes in the blower that line up with the holes in the LS1-LS6 heads.

Last edited by FastKat; 08-19-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FastKat
My goal would be to fit the blower/intercooler to an LS1-LS6 based engine.

The first issue would be the actual fitment of the blower to the heads. The LS3 heads have a different port shape and I think a different bolt pattern (where the intake manifold bolts onto the head) than the LS1 heads.

The first order of business: someone needs to make a spacer plate that goes between the blower assembly and the head. The plate has to act as an interface adapter between the blower and the heads.

Maybe it's easier than that - maybe you can tap holes in the LS1 heads that line up with the holes on the blower? If there's enough material left in the right places, it would be a simpler and more straightforward approach. The only thing you would have to deal with would be the different port shapes. If the LS3-LS9 is as tall as the LS1-LS6 port, you could probably get away with porting the LS1-LS6 heads to fit the larger ports on the blower.

Third option - and it's a long shot - drill new holes in the blower that line up with the holes in the LS1-LS6 heads.
both bolt patterns, are dif. also iirc the rectangle and cathedral have diff. port spacing, it would take alot of machining, and fabrication.
it would be easier and wise to just use rec. port heads, since the lsa and ls9 were designed around the ports. direct bolt on.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think the LS3 style heads will work on an LS1 engine, will they? I think the LS1 bore is too small.

Originally Posted by NemeSS
both bolt patterns, are dif. also iirc the rectangle and cathedral have diff. port spacing, it would take alot of machining, and fabrication.
it would be easier and wise to just use rec. port heads, since the lsa and ls9 were designed around the ports. direct bolt on.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FastKat
I don't think the LS3 style heads will work on an LS1 engine, will they? I think the LS1 bore is too small.
negative.
oe rectangle port heads, l92/ls3/l76, will not work on any bore smaller than 4.00
there is said to exist some "small bore" l92 heads. but i think the AFR, TFS, and other abc heads have got them covered anyway. cfm, deck thickness and other desirable features.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NemeSS
negative.
oe rectangle port heads, l92/ls3/l76, will not work on any bore smaller than 4.00
there is said to exist some "small bore" l92 heads. but i think the AFR, TFS, and other abc heads have got them covered anyway. cfm, deck thickness and other desirable features.
i was thinking about that too, the "said to exist" small bore L92 heads would help the LSA blower work. i think, since it simpler, that would be a popluar choice. if this thing will work, i bet it will be a pretty damn good seller. im thinking next summer of getting rid of my Z28 and getting a GTO, and if this could fit, id love to throw down on this rather than a $6000+ procharger/APS TT kit. my only other option was going to be kentucky turbo, which isnt bad love turbos, but there is something about that roots blower whine that is intoxicating.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

So if you can't use LS3/L92/LS9 heads, your only option is to stick with the LS1-LS6 heads and adapt the blower to those heads.

Maybe I will throw down the cash for a new blower in a couple months. That way, we can see exactly what will work and what will not work. I still think the best options to fit the LS9 or LSA blower on the engine would be:

1) Drill the blower to match the LS1 heads; port the heads to match the blower; uses LS9/LSA blower gasket
2) Drill and tap the heads to match the blower; port the heads; uses LS9/LSA blower gasket
3) Make an adapter plate that interfaces between the LS9/LSA blower and the LS1 heads; the plate can be ported to match the different port designs; it will use an LS9/LSA blower gasket and ??? for the LS1 heads?

Please comment on any/all of the 3 options!

Last edited by FastKat; 08-19-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds like a LOT of extra work. I'd say it would be less of a headache to find a junkyard LQ9 and get some L92 heads... or even just a junkyard L92.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have part numbers?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just read this, its a good read and we could get a memeber to stalk this Mike guy that builds it maybe....

http://jalopnik.com/5371569/how-we-b...e-zr1/gallery/
Old 10-01-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
I just read this, its a good read and we could get a memeber to stalk this Mike guy that builds it maybe....

http://jalopnik.com/5371569/how-we-b...e-zr1/gallery/
Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder how much the accessories would be to buy for a ls9 ( all the front end goodies ) just for this to work? Rely thinking about doing this
Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well after doing some research on the ls9 supercharger, It will cost u 5213.66 for all the parts for the thing. Not bad , maggie is around 6500.00 and u cant make the power that u could make 2300

Quick Reply: LS9 Supercharger