Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does this concern anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:05 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does this concern anyone else?

I have noticed ALOT of "shops" here posting questions about how to build their customers' cars. Um, shouldn't they KNOW how to do it? They are here asking their customers how to do their job. Isn't that why we hire them in the first place, we either don't know or can't do it? I mean, I understand posting questions like "where to find a part" or "who would be interested in xxx product". But these "what cam, what turbo, what pistons, what CR, what injectors" etc, etc, make me nervous. Obviously the "better" shops aren't here doing that, since they apparently know how to do their jobs, but there sure are a lot of other "professionals" asking **** they should already know IMO.

Just an observation.........
Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to get in the middle of a big but I never payed to much attention to this at the time but I've noticed this too now that you mentioned it. Sometimes I don't even pay attention to the user name b/c questions really shouldn't matter to a certain extent. (Unless retarded) In this situation, yes, I do agree. Why pay someone to do a job for you when they have to ask your certain peers or worse yet your buddy or even worse yet........YOU! Alot of enthusiasts on here could most likely do these projects but most are limited to the expensive/required tools. ****, if I was rich the first thing I'd do is open a shop and hire fellow LS1'ers to work there
Old 09-16-2007, 02:30 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Have to remember a lot of shops are just getting into LS1 stuff, they may be great with Fords or SBC/BBC stuff but why make a mistake with a customer's car when there is a fair amount of knowledge here. If I was a customer I'd rather have a shop post a question if they werent sure instead of guessing with my money. Just because some of the 'big' shops dont post question, dont think they arent reading. Always something to learn, if you think you know it all and have nothing to learn you are usually mistaken
Old 09-16-2007, 02:51 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Have to remember a lot of shops are just getting into LS1 stuff, they may be great with Fords or SBC/BBC stuff but why make a mistake with a customer's car when there is a fair amount of knowledge here. If I was a customer I'd rather have a shop post a question if they werent sure instead of guessing with my money. Just because some of the 'big' shops dont post question, dont think they arent reading. Always something to learn, if you think you know it all and have nothing to learn you are usually mistaken

If they aren't fully aware of how to work on/build a certain type of engine (LS1, for example), don't you think they should not attempt to work on those until they do know how to do it? I'd be really nervous if I dropped my car off at a shop and saw them posting questions asking how to build it.

I understand that education must always continue and sharing knowledge is great for everyone, but the questions I am seeing posted are things that I think performance shops should know before working on customers' cars.

I guess this is why we as consumers need to do alot of research before choosing who we want to work on our cars. I like to feel confident in who is building my car. I want to ask them questions and have them know the answer, not have them be as clueless as me.

I guess I just see using customers cars' as learning tools as wrong.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
If they aren't fully aware of how to work on/build a certain type of engine (LS1, for example), don't you think they should not attempt to work on those until they do know how to do it? I'd be really nervous if I dropped my car off at a shop and saw them posting questions asking how to build it.

I understand that education must always continue and sharing knowledge is great for everyone, but the questions I am seeing posted are things that I think performance shops should know before working on customers' cars.

I guess this is why we as consumers need to do alot of research before choosing who we want to work on our cars. I like to feel confident in who is building my car. I want to ask them questions and have them know the answer, not have them be as clueless as me.

that would be like never getting into the water till you learn how to swim

I think it is great that there is such a great resource (LS1Tech) to be able to ask such things on and get a good answer
Old 09-16-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with getting other opinions on stuff no matter how much you "know"....
Old 09-16-2007, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6

I was going to say it's like learning to drive a car. You never will learn until you get behind the seat and give it a try. I know I would rather have some shop ask a question if they are not sure before they do something and it cost me double because they didn't reasearch it first!IMOA!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6

Using customer's cars as a learning tool would be just to dive in and start spending a customer's money. Asking or reading here is like going to LS1 college (well sometimes ).

Any engine builder/chassis guy/tuner I can almost guarantee copied or used other's work as an example to build their own ideas from. I know what you are saying though, seems odd but I dont see the harm in it. While I'm not that thrilled about people using info posted freely by users to make money off of, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head to post replies either. Same for no one is holding a gun to your head to use that shop either. You pays your money and you make your choice..
Old 09-16-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Nicely said KP, now I thought of it some more and it go's both ways. Nobody no matter how much they know, can ever know enough or everything for that matter. There are alot of great minds on this site and I would trust most peoples input on here before I even asked a shop.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:48 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I'm not saying I'm against them learning, obviously that can only be good, but rather it bothers me when you see a shop owner post questions here when they have already taken a car in or are in the middle of a build. Wrong time to "learn" IMO. Maybe they should build themselves an LS1 ride or at least an engine or two.

The comments about "not learning till you try" (like the learning to swim or drive comments) don't apply here, because when you learn to swim you don't just join the Coast Gaurd and hope to learn there, and you don't have your first driving experience on a 6 lane superhighway. Make sense?

There are posts here with questions like "My customer wants 800 RWHP, what engine/blower do I need?". If you don't know, you have no business working on that car. Also, the cars owner should be slapped for bringing to you unless you lied about your knowledge.

The other reason it should concern you is that for every "correct" post made by someone who has a clue as to what they are talking about, there are 10 or 12 posts made by idiots who haven't even changed their own oil. If the original poster of the question decides to listen to the wrong guy, your car is fucked.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
I'm not saying I'm against them learning, obviously that can only be good, but rather it bothers me when you see a shop owner post questions here when they have already taken a car in or are in the middle of a build. Wrong time to "learn" IMO. Maybe they should build themselves an LS1 ride or at least an engine or two.

The comments about "not learning till you try" (like the learning to swim or drive comments) don't apply here, because when you learn to swim you don't just join the Coast Gaurd and hope to learn there, and you don't have your first driving experience on a 6 lane superhighway. Make sense?

There are posts here with questions like "My customer wants 800 RWHP, what engine/blower do I need?". If you don't know, you have no business working on that car. Also, the cars owner should be slapped for bringing to you unless you lied about your knowledge.

The other reason it should concern you is that for every "correct" post made by someone who has a clue as to what they are talking about, there are 10 or 12 posts made by idiots who haven't even changed their own oil. If the original poster of the question decides to listen to the wrong guy, your car is fucked.
While I agree 100% with what you are saying I still think someone is better off asking (shop or not) if they arent sure. People shouldnt follow just one person blindly into anything, the internet can teach you many things but common sense is a little tougher to master.

All I'm saying is its very possible for someone to be able to do a perfect install on a blower and not know what size to use because they just dont have the experience with these.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

i dont see how this has do do with forced induction.
please post in a different section.

Quick Reply: Does this concern anyone else?