Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why are Supras still winning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Why are Supras still winning?

Head off or not, It still cost $40,000 to $50,000 in mods... Also the 700, 900, 1000rwhp Supras go up like popcorn, but Supra owners seem to be afraid to post that the almightly blew holes in the hood. Are Supras winning what? Races? Drag racing? Road Racing? Riddle me this: Where is the Supra? They have not even won thier own special event in Texas....
Here is SW's list of parts. His car went 9s at 154 and the head had NEVER been off the car.

T72 Turbo kit $4000
GReddy 3 row FMIC $1400
HKS 272 cams $525 x 2
Crower Valve springs $595
Crower Ti Retainers $350
NOS 90 shot $490

Fuel: $2000

850cc Injectors
Weldon Pump
Weldon Fuel Pressure Regulator
HKS Fuel Rail

Electronics:

HKS EZ Boost Controller $329
HKS VPC $800
Apexi S-AFC $300
Interior:

Greddy Gauges $300
Drivetrain:

TRD Twin-Disk Clutch $1500

Thats what SW had done to his car as far as mod wise. The total is $11314. Thats at FULL price. I'm sure buying at that stuff at once I would be able to get much of it at discount. The clutch for one could be substituted for the AZ clutch which I can get fot $575. I think I could get that list for $9000-$10000. Of course you have to pay for tuning and slicks/rims. Regardless that is no where NEAR $40,000-$50,000 in mods that you are claiming. As far as 700hp+ Supras going POP its no where near as often as you are claiming. The whole reason why Supra guys aren't afraid to run 700,800,900hp on the stock block is because THE BLOCK WILL HOLD IT bone stock. Sure some people have popped. Heck some people have popped with less then 400hp. Usually its from running TOO much boost on low octane gas. Seriously I think its ridiculous to make claims on matters you know very little about. To think that it would cost $50,000 in mods to make a Supra run 9s truly shows your lack of knowledge when it comes to Supras. Sorry I'm you feel I am coming of as a smartass but its just the truth.
Trust me, SW did not due the work himself. Hence the $40,000 est price tag. He had just as much in his Z07 vette
that won the event. He no longer has either car. And yes they pop quite often....For respect, I won't go into more detail than that.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Yeah, great mph... go race from a highway roll and here's a cookie for winning because no tracks do 60+mph roll racing, sorry but the LS1 crossed the finish line first.

You're a lil late we have already discussed that.

Yes, Supras are cheap to mod in the SHORT RUN. Why? Because you already have the turbo! All you gotta do to get 100 more hp is raise the boost and put a bigger exhaust on it. But what happens when you want to go single? You start spending mad $$$. And FYI, I said 1000+hp for $80k, don't believe me? Go to Mark (King of Supras) Tozer's website: www.suprastore.com and look at some of the 1000+hp 10 second Supras for sell.
Supra owners INFLATE their car prices. Shoot I would not let mine go for less then $30k. Being that you know of SW you know he is LOADED with cash so paying for labor was no issue for him. The majority of the Supra owners I know do all the work themselves and therefore don't pay for labor. With $10,000 I could have all the parts that SW used and install them myself. Its not that hard to do. I've done every mod on the car now and will continue to do so. The fact is it DOES NOT cost $40,000-$50,000 in MODS as you stated to make a Supra run 9s. Hell it wouldn't cost that much in LABOR if you paid a shop to do it. When owners sell their Supras ESPECIALLY single turbo Supras they inflate the prices. The GAAAAAY Fast and the Furious car got up to $175,000 on ebay, does that mean it cost that much to make, HELL NO thats what someone was selling it for and someone else was willing to bid. Geez the freakin' Jetta in that money was for sale for around $70,000 but that does not mean it cost that much to make the car. I hope I have been clear. When will the misconceptions stop? Heck with your reasoning if I go put a for sale sign on my car that has a price tag of $60,000 that would mean I have that much money tied up in the car in mods. Sorry but your logic if flawed. I'm not trying to be a smartass either simply put you are just wrong.

And yes they pop quite often....For respect, I won't go into more detail than that.
I wasn't even going to address this but its quite obvious you have a slanted view towards Supras. Supras have popped. That is a fact. However I would not say it happens "quite often" I would not have bought my Supra if they popped "quite often" Rx7s pop quite often. I would be comfortable pushing my stock block to 750rwhp. Sure people have hit 900rwhp but personally I think that is pushing it. Some push the limits and pop so people like myself play safe. Regardless Supras have incredibly strong blocks if you pop one something DRASTIC happened because the blocks are incredibly stout.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

SW also was running a Bullish Intake $1000+ and the RPS T72 kit is about 5K, not 4K.

Jose
Old 06-06-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry but your logic if flawed. I'm not trying to be a smartass either simply put you are just wrong.

I'm not JUST talking about the price tag!
Example: http://www.suprastore.com/supow19blac6.html
902rwhp Supra 10.5 in the 1/4
Example: Nine Ball's car http://users.ev1.net/~ynot_dv8/components.htm
525rwhp NA full weight M6 Formula 10.6 in the 1/4

MKIV has been out since 1993.5, LS1 f-body has been out since 1998. Face it, RWD V8's have more experience in drag racing and will always be ahead of the game. Handling on the other hand, I have to give it to the Supra if he keeps his IRS.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Sorry but your logic if flawed. I'm not trying to be a smartass either simply put you are just wrong.

MKIV has been out since 1993.5, LS1 f-body has been out since 1998. Face it, RWD V8's have more experience in drag racing and will always be ahead of the game. Handling on the other hand, I have to give it to the Supra if he keeps his IRS.
You posted a link to Mark Tozer's car. He is considered a hmm how can I put this politely an ASSCLOWN in the Supra community. He freaking copyrighted a term that Supra guys use its "BPU" which means basic performance upgrades. The guy is full of himself and his car. Did you notice all the "bling" on the Supra vs. the Formula. All that "bling" ads up $$$. Bling is personally not my style but hey to each his own. Tozer did not get that great of a 60 on his 10.5 pass you also left out his mph which was 140. The Formulas mph in the 1/4 was 126. Quite obviously the Supra did not 60 well. Heck people have gone 10.9s on stock turbos with spray with a good 60. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove because you really aren't proving anything by posting Tozer's car. I would not trust the guy for anything. Do a search on Supraforums his store is NOTORIOUS for screwing people over. It took me 6 wks to get my clutch which was going to be in "next week". Seriously Tozer has a very bad rep in the Supra community. Here is a thread just one of the many threads about his shop....

http://www.supraforums.com/showthrea...ght=suprastore

You would be a fool to pay him $70,000 for the car. Anyways I'll get back to my point it does not cost $40,000-$50,000 to build a 10second Supra. I'm sure you can find people that have that much tied up into them (Tozer) but it does not mean that it costs that much.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Teching In

This is something that has not been address so I figured I would give it a shot. Up until last year Supras did not have any REAL devolopment as far as electronics and tuning goes. If you look at SWs setup he has a HKS EVC, SAFC, and a VPC, NONE of those are Supra specific parts. Basically someone figured out how to wire those up to a Supra. They are PIGGYBACK systems. It was not until last year that Supras got a REAL EMS system it is the AEM EMS. Supra guys consider it a God-send. It allows so much more tunablity. Sure the MKIV has been out a while but we had to use hand me down electronics that have been out for years. Sure you could have got a MOTEC system but the average Supra owner did not do that. I just wanted to let people know that we have NOT had constant development as far as tuning goes.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow...what a freakin soap opera! I think 90 percent of these posts have strayed from the original topic. Supra's put down more peak hp because their motor was built to handle boost and revs.

As for peak hp/tq numbers and track times, they don't mean ****. Your track times are dependent on the area under the curve shift to shift. Typically, supras have a much more peaky power band. This leads to a lower area under the curve than a larger displacement engine.

Let's all respect fast cars for what they are. No one is ever going to be "right" as to which car is better...if the owner is happy, that's all that counts.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

You posted a link to Mark Tozer's car. He is considered a hmm how can I put this politely an ASSCLOWN in the Supra community. He freaking copyrighted a term that Supra guys use its "BPU" which means basic performance upgrades. The guy is full of himself and his car. Did you notice all the "bling" on the Supra vs. the Formula. All that "bling" ads up $$$. Bling is personally not my style but hey to each his own. Tozer did not get that great of a 60 on his 10.5 pass you also left out his mph which was 140. The Formulas mph in the 1/4 was 126. Quite obviously the Supra did not 60 well. Heck people have gone 10.9s on stock turbos with spray with a good 60. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove because you really aren't proving anything by posting Tozer's car. I would not trust the guy for anything. Do a search on Supraforums his store is NOTORIOUS for screwing people over. It took me 6 wks to get my clutch which was going to be in "next week". Seriously Tozer has a very bad rep in the Supra community. Here is a thread just one of the many threads about his shop....

http://www.supraforums.com/showthrea...ght=suprastore

You would be a fool to pay him $70,000 for the car. Anyways I'll get back to my point it does not cost $40,000-$50,000 to build a 10second Supra. I'm sure you can find people that have that much tied up into them (Tozer) but it does not mean that it costs that much.
Once again you chose to COMPLETELY ignore the point of my post. Regardless of the price tag, 10.5 @ 140mph is SLOW for a 902rwhp car! Yes the mph is good for 9's if it could launch, I give the car that. But there are LS1's with MUCH less hp/tq running FASTER than that mph. What's so hard to understand about that?
Old 06-06-2003, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Wow...what a freakin soap opera! I think 90 percent of these posts have strayed from the original topic. Supra's put down more peak hp because their motor was built to handle boost and revs.

The title of the thread is "Why are Supras still winning?"
I say they are winning "dyno races"... but dynos don't win races. Hp/tq is NOTHING if you can't get it to the ground.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Once again you chose to COMPLETELY ignore the point of my post. Regardless of the price tag, 10.5 @ 140mph is SLOW for a 902rwhp car! Yes the mph is good for 9's if it could launch, I give the car that. But there are LS1's with MUCH less hp/tq running FASTER than that mph. What's so hard to understand about that?
I guess you missed this part of my post....I acknowledged the fact that hes MPH was not good for his ET.

Tozer did not get that great of a 60 on his 10.5 pass you also left out his mph which was 140. The Formulas mph in the 1/4 was 126. Quite obviously the Supra did not 60 well. Heck people have gone 10.9s on stock turbos with spray with a good 60.
The people that have gone 10s on stock turbos with spray put down were in the low 500rwhp range. Supras are indeed more peaky then V8s however Supras revs do not drop below 4500 when drag racing. Heck some big singles might not drop below 5000rpms but they redline at 8000ish. I do agree however peak HP is not as important as the power you use between shifts. I still think you are overlooking the fact that Supras KEEP their cars REVVED and IN THAT PEAKY POWERBAND. I can say this from EXPERIENCE my HP varies only 40rwhp from 4500 to redline that is where my car stays revved when racing.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Launching!

I have yet to see a Supra run below 12s, and none will ever run 9s! That would take a full race car with cage, 4 link and the whole setup.

KIDS! Why don't you try some real muscle and go buy an old 60s era muscle car and fix it up. I have a 73 Camaro with a ZZ4 and with very little work got to 12s. Now that is worth your money, not any Supra, Honda, Izuzu or any other jap made thing. Remember those bastards murdered our grandfathers and great grand fathers while saying, "What Geneva convention?"
Spend your money here!
My Camaro can be had for $10K!
Old 06-06-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

The people that have gone 10s on stock turbos with spray put down were in the low 500rwhp range.
LS1's have gone 10's in the low 400rwhp range with stock bottom end NA & w/o nitrous.

Eye candy...

...be afraid, lol
Old 06-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Here is a 500rwhp Supra and a 500rwhp Fbody's dyno plots. Hrmm...They look AWEFUL similar to me. Supras DON't dip below 4500 rpms when drag racing. You stated the area between shifts is what matters. So here it is for both cars.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Teching In

I have yet to see a Supra run below 12s, and none will ever run 9s! That would take a full race car with cage, 4 link and the whole setup.

KIDS! Why don't you try some real muscle and go buy an old 60s era muscle car and fix it up. I have a 73 Camaro with a ZZ4 and with very little work got to 12s. Now that is worth your money, not any Supra, Honda, Izuzu or any other jap made thing. Remember those bastards murdered our grandfathers and great grand fathers while saying, "What Geneva convention?"
Spend your money here!
My Camaro can be had for $10K!

Hey genius Supras have gone 8s on DRAG RADIALS.

http://kane.phpwebhosting.com/~*****....46%20RUN1.mpg

Thats a run of a Supra going 8s in drag radials. It weighed in at 3300pds. Its FAR from stripped. My car weighs 3435.

http://kane.phpwebhosting.com/~*****...sec-Supra.mpeg

There is a street supra that went 9s. Full interior, AC, etc...
Old 06-06-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have yet to see a Supra run below 12s, and none will ever run 9s!
Is this guy serious??
Dude, they're out there. You might never run into one, but they're out there. Especially in Texas.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

94supratt....do you know what the term selective hearing is?

i think we should just leave this one alone...all we were trying to do is show some of these LS1 guys that there is a MINORITY of supras racers out there that race and go fast for dirt cheap in mods.

They interpret that as us trying to defame them in someway or something....i dont get it *shrug*
Old 06-07-2003, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Saw a White supra last night hit high 10s at around 136 mph trap speed. Ran a few high 10/low 11 runs at one of the worst hooking tracks in MD(least for non slick cars). I'll tell you, that thing was getting off the line pretty damn well. Fast Supras are out there whether we like it or not :p

Mike
Old 06-07-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, now that we have argued whether supras are cool or not, back to my original question. Why hasn't anyone tried running 30 lbs of boost on an Ls1?
Old 06-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Give me a mercury XR2 and 4k and I'll run circles around most Fbodys and Supras.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

There are issues to be worked out involving head lifting at high boost.

Quick Reply: Why are Supras still winning?