Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI Data Logging Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: FI Data Logging Solution

It would work on anything. The only thing that is possibly ls1 specific is the rpm feed and that could probably also be made to work with any square wave signal ouput (I think most aftermarket tachs use this).

It is completely standalone at this point, but I do have a way to merge the data with an EFI log. It’s a pretty clunky process, since EFI live does not write out any type of system timestamp to match up on. I have to export the EFI log to csv format and then manually pick the record that matches the first record of my log. The software then tires to find records that correlate based on rpm and the elapsed time data in the EFI log.

I’m guessing that EFI live is going to support the logging of analog input real soon, so it should be a really slick setup once that happens. EFI Live already has great customization with the user defined PIDs, so it is just a matter of them adding the ability to read analog signals.

Update:
I just ordered one of the Keyspan USB 4 port serial adapters. The best price I could find was $127 at PCConnection. It should work fine with 3 active devices hooked up at once since it installs its own device driver and does not rely on the com port interrupts.

Hardware should be here middle of next week and I’ll update then.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool....how does this compare to what you are doing?

http://www.dataq.com/194.htm
Old 06-11-2003, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

cool....how does this compare to what you are doing?
That is the $24.95 data acquisition board I'm using. In fact, I'm now using two of them.

Update:
I got the other board in today and hooked everything up. It seems to work pretty well, but I still have some things to try on the RPM feed to get it a little more accurate (right now I'm only calculating it 10 times a second). Here are some graphs from a pull I just did in 3rd gear (I rolled into the throttle so I could get more data points, no safe place for a 4th gear pull around here). It shows some interesting information about my fuel pressure and I'm working to resolve that (the c5 has a f***d up return system).

Still waiting on the 4port USB adapter so I can merge it in with EFILive data.

Graph
Old 06-11-2003, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

interesting...if you need any help with that dataq 194 i would suggest subscribing and posting to the DIY_EFI list. I have been asking questions and have had lots of help, for instance this is what i've learned so far maybe some will help maybe some wont:

1) even though it cant datalog a thermistor (IAT sensor) you can trick it. Basically supply a 5v supply to it and put a bias resistor inline and datalog the voltage. Calibrate it with the software and wala, you now have a datalogged IAT sensor

2) To increase resolution with the 0-5v source you can remove the resistors on each of the channels to convert the board from reading 0-10v to just 0-5v. for channel 1 you'd take out R1 and R3 and for channel 2 you'd take out R4 and R6 and so on and so forth

I plan to use the 194 to datalog a IAT sensor for pre-intercooler temps (FAST will do the afters) and i also plan to datalog backpressure in my turbo manifolds and possibly fuel pressure/pre-intercooler boost
Old 08-15-2003, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a question about the dataq, which just arrived at my door tonight. I've done the calibration. I understand how to hook up the my wb02 to the data q but how the heck (with the serial port in use) do you then hook up and run autotap, and secondly how do you run that signal (which is digital i reckon) to the dataq? I know where to hook the wire to on the dataq but where is the other end of that wire hooked?

I'm just an average guy and if I'm in over my head just says so... I'm not proud Thanks guys.

Old 08-15-2003, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

QS,

Add another to the list of interested parties.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry guys,

I pretty much gave up on this project (in terms of distributing software, instructions...) I did finally get mine all hooked up and tested and it is working great and proving to be a very useful tuning device. However, I had all types of interesting problems trying to get 3 serial devices hooked up at once. I had to try several different serial->USB adapters. The solution turned out to be very hardware specific, what worked on one laptop would not work on another, so I just figured it would be too much of a headache to support others. Oh yea, and this product also came out Data Logger, which pretty much does the exact same thing with a reasonable price tag. It has the big advantage of not requiring a laptop to capture the data (I might even get one myself down the road).
Old 08-16-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've got a question about the dataq, which just arrived at my door tonight. I've done the calibration. I understand how to hook up the my wb02 to the data q but how the heck (with the serial port in use) do you then hook up and run autotap, and secondly how do you run that signal (which is digital i reckon) to the dataq? I know where to hook the wire to on the dataq but where is the other end of that wire hooked?

I'm just an average guy and if I'm in over my head just says so... I'm not proud Thanks guys.

Not sure I completely follow the question, but I'll be happy to help.

You most likely need a serial to USB adapter to get two serial devices going at once (if you only have 1 physical serial port available). The adapter will come with a driver that will dynamically create a COM port in windows when it sees the USB device (plug n play). Here is an example device
IO Gear Adapter

You can then run the little viewer/logger software that comes with the DataQ device. It should allow you to select the COM port (if not just hook it up to the serial port, and hook autotap up to the usb->serial adapter). I know one or the other lets you select the COM port it reads from.

Not sure I understand the wire question. The WB controller has two small wires + and - for the output signal (these both go the the dataq device +=ch1 -=gnd). Then the serial cable goes to the laptop.

Old 08-16-2003, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

QuickSilver, thanks for taking the time to help. I have an old Dell Latitude LM P133+, it has a serial, parrallel, and a port for an external monitor. So, I could not figure a way to run 2 serial devices which is what has to happen from what I gather from your post. No USB on this old laptop of course, is there another adapter that would work for me? Like a y adapter? or maybe a parallel to serial adapter....

My "wire" question goes away if i can figure a way use 2 serial devices at once, I just thought I had to pipe the autotap data back into the dataq somehow to be able to read both. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Interested. The Cheaper The Better!
Old 08-18-2003, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would this work for a second serial port? (parallel to 25 pin serial converter, then 25pin to 9pin adapter). It's not cheap but I'd still do it if it would work ok....

http://www.connecttech.net/product_i...roducts_id/363
http://www.connecttech.net/product_i...roducts_id/359
Old 08-21-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody wanna buy a dataq? Using it for this application seems impossible to me.

Quick Reply: FI Data Logging Solution