Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Horsepower gains from pounds of boost.Weird question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta consider intercooler and piping restrictions as well *** exhaust. Everyones setup is a little different but with enuff ls1 cars with FI, you can make some generalizations.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kerryt1
I cannot imagine that there would ever be a linear relationship between power and boost.

Linear torque curves only exist in electric motors. Get some new friends.
superchargers seem to be pretty linear regarding the way power increasese per rpm...
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
superchargers seem to be pretty linear regarding the way power increasese per rpm...
i think he meant linear as in horizontal, like a completely flat line.

thats what electric motors do. example: at 1 rpm they make peak torque, an dit doesnt drop off at all no matter how fast it spins (until it suffers heat soak of course)

superchargers ramp up boost with rpm, so you start with a low torque number and gain more power with more rpm.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Launching!

uncle ray, uncle ray, uncle ray............you said in another post you knew nothing of this spray stuff we we're talking about, then you publish hp and torque numbers???? Sounds like we need to get together and see how she pulls against this "LOW BOOSTIN" turbo? I didn't know those bottles came from the factory????
Old 09-27-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your friends need to take a physics lesson.

PSI = Pounds per square inch

Let's try and make an easy comparison. We are at sea level where the PSI is about 14.7. There is a penny on the ground and a frisbee. The air pressure on both of them is 14.7 pounds per square inch, but the frisbee has a lot more square inches than the penny. So even though they have the same pressure per area, the frisbee has a lot more area, so there is a lot more total air pressure on the frisbee than the penny.

Same thing with engines. You have a 1 liter engine and a 6 liter engine, both with an extra 1 pound per square inch of pressure shoved in them. The total amount of air shoved in the 6 liter engine is much greater than the total amount of air shoved in the 1 liter engine, and therefore the total power increase will be much greater.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nz12's
uncle ray, uncle ray, uncle ray............you said in another post you knew nothing of this spray stuff we we're talking about, then you publish hp and torque numbers???? Sounds like we need to get together and see how she pulls against this "LOW BOOSTIN" turbo? I didn't know those bottles came from the factory????
yeah... me either! it must be a wednesday car!!!
once i get the tune dialed in ill come out and see if i cant destroy something new on the car!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Teching In

You just cannot say that you will make a certain amount of power for a certain amount of boost. One turbo might give you 10hp per pound of boost while another will give you 20hp. Boost is simply the restriction to flow. That is what a flow differential is. Power comes from flow, and some turbos flow more than others. That is why there are compressor maps, so that you can see how much boost you need to make to get a certain amount of flow (power) and at what efficiency. Same thing can be said about a supercharger. And, one system can make a lot more power than the same setup on another car, there are just too many variables (tune, exhaust backpressure, intercooler and associated piping, condition of motor, just too many to list). In the end, it starts with how much power the engine made to begin with, and the turbo and the specifics that are picked to go a long with it.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Teching In

I think the number your friends were trying to give is 7% gain for every pound of boost. This is true because your n/a engine is basically running off the 14.7 psi atmospheric pressure, assuming you are at sea level. If you add 1 pound of pressure you are basically running off 15.7(14.7 atmospheric and 1 boost). This means you will move more air through your engine which we all know means more power. THEORETICALLY you can calculate this increase in power to be 15.7/14.7 minus 1 which is about .07 or 7%. The problem with all these calulations is that they don't take into acount backpressure(if its turbocharged) or the hp it steals from the crank(if its supercharged). Also the increase in temperature from compressing the air(can be minized by intercooler) and decrease in the air flow efficiency (due to more air being pushed through), along with many other factors.

What all that means is 7% per pound of boost is what you gain before you start subtrating all the other factors.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1chris
well after talking with a few friends that have nissian 240sx with a sr20 det they say that you will gain 7 horsepower for every pound of boost you have .I was telling them how i seen some Turbo setups running 6-7 psi and putting down 400-415 hp at the wheels ,They said their is no way that is possiable on a bolt on car with that little boost .So is that about the goin rate of hp gain for each pound of boost you bolt on ls1s guys see. they said i was full of it when i told them i seen a ls1 put down 300rwhp then put a turbo kit on and hit 400+ with around 6-7 psi .
I concur with the other members on this board....your friends are stupid and you need new ones....
Old 09-28-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every motor is diffrent. My motor will make less then 400rwhp on motor alone. Yet it makes over 800rwhp with just 10lbs of boost
Old 09-29-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked up 70rwhp with 2psi in 100deg weather so I would say they're full of ****.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i gain roughly 25rwhp pre pound of boost

Quick Reply: Horsepower gains from pounds of boost.Weird question