Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

remote turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default remote turbo setup?

i am starting to thinking about puting together a remote turbo set up.

keep my 1 3/8 LT new y pipe and run new exhuast pipeing to the back.
mount a t-78 or t-88 turbo then run the intake up though the back and though the car into a air to water cooler then thought the fire wall into a reverse mount t/b

i am aiming to build a low 9 sec car, but i am not sure if a rear mount would be able to make the power i need and a front mount would cost me too much money. if i cant make the power with this setup i will just stay with plan A lots and lots of nitrous

i am unclear about when size piping i should run, and what A/R i should use. i have never done anything with boost before i am new to all this. i have tried a search but i am still in the dark about the rear mount. almost everyone is asking questions about the rear mount as a street setup, i am looking for a race setup.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell ya one thing. I run a T70 out back with a .68 AR. It still takes a while with LT's to spool, so I went with 01+ manifolds and stock Y. The difference in spool between a 76 trim vs my 70 is phenominal on similar setups (remote mount). Cold side I ran 2.5" pipes (same size as compressor on the turbo) and 3" hot with a 3.5" dump. Unless you're running big cubes, a T-88 out back just flat out isn't gonna work like you want it to. 76 trim is about as big as you'll wanna go with a stock cube in my honest opinion since I've experienced both. Even with a 2 step with that t-88 out back you'll have to have it stepping at like 5k to get it to even spool.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phoenix
i am starting to thinking about puting together a remote turbo set up.

keep my 1 3/8 LT new y pipe and run new exhuast pipeing to the back.
mount a t-78 or t-88 turbo then run the intake up though the back and though the car into a air to water cooler then thought the fire wall into a reverse mount t/b

i am aiming to build a low 9 sec car, but i am not sure if a rear mount would be able to make the power i need and a front mount would cost me too much money. if i cant make the power with this setup i will just stay with plan A lots and lots of nitrous

i am unclear about when size piping i should run, and what A/R i should use. i have never done anything with boost before i am new to all this. i have tried a search but i am still in the dark about the rear mount. almost everyone is asking questions about the rear mount as a street setup, i am looking for a race setup.

Judging by the turbo names T78 and T88 are you talking true 78mm unit/88mm unit or Greddy T78 or Greddy T88?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Judging by the turbo names T78 and T88 are you talking true 78mm unit/88mm unit or Greddy T78 or Greddy T88?
Good call, should have clarified.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

sorry about that i am talking about a greddy, but i am just useing that as what size i want to use, i was just going to fab everything on the car while i have the stock ci motor. i am trying to build a 413 stroker or a 408 right now but i put that on hold until i can figure out what i want to do either nitrous or turbo. i am just worried i am not going to make the power i need to run the times i want with this kind of setup.

67firebird you dont have the rear mount setup anymore?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Phoenix - Yeah, just got the 6.0 going in it. I'm selling the car. Trailering the car on Saturday to get the exhaust re-welded with the stock Y and manifolds (coming from LT's and ORY). Should be boosted again this Sunday hopefully if all goes well. Only reason I'm selling is because of California smog, and excessive debt (had a baby, bought a house, AND got married this year). Have my 67 bird and enough parts to build a forged 408, so I won't need the TA anymore =\. You could always run a 75 shot to get that thing spooled! Best have some good traction, and taller gears than those 3.73's unless you plan on running a 31"+ tire! Run a 3.0 and 28's with spray and turbo, you'll run 9's for sure.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

well i was still planing on spraying it with my 175 shot on a FJO contorler so that goes without saying. so you think i will run out of gear with the 3.73? i am geting the 12 point and mini tubs installed some time in nov. i am planing on running a 30"tall tire. i was hoping that would be good enough. you think the 1 3/4 LT will hurt me? wouldnt stock manifolds really choke the bigger motor i want to build?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by phoenix
well i was still planing on spraying it with my 175 shot on a FJO contorler so that goes without saying. so you think i will run out of gear with the 3.73? i am geting the 12 point and mini tubs installed some time in nov. i am planing on running a 30"tall tire. i was hoping that would be good enough. you think the 1 3/4 LT will hurt me? wouldnt stock manifolds really choke the bigger motor i want to build?
Yeah, 175 shot will be awesome. Low 9's, you're looking at 140-145 mph roughly. Without growth on 30's with 3.73's @ 1:1 ratio you're looking at like 155 mph @ 6500rpm. The 1 3/4's won't hurt you, just wrap them. Stock manifolds could choke the bigger motor, some custom tubular shorties would work great to keep volume down without heavy restriction.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

well if that is with the 30"tall tire then maybe i should go with a 28", i want to spin the motor to 7k rpm and you want to be in your redline though the traps right?

thanks for all the info, you helped a lot!

damn i just throw away a set of shorty headers like a week ago .

when i go to get the turbo get something around a .68 A/R? is that the size of the exhuast housing?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go bigger mike...my buddy has a master power T70 (70mm front compressor housing) and a .96 a/r exhaust housing on MY former rear mount and he spools it perfectly fine on a stock LS1 and a 6-speed. Made 530 at 9psi and remember it was just "thrown together" and tuned lol. Just make the y pipe 2.5" and the over axle to the turbo pipe 3" to keep velocity and heat up AND dont forget to wrap all that **** and you'll be golden. Now im thinking about doin a single turbo instead of twin on mine, you know anybody who wants badass twin turbos?? I'm the most indecisive person in ls1tech history lol
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

well **** man i am have been look around for a turbo and i have no clue what i am looking for, ther eis too many numbers i'm lost :"(
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fenix999
go bigger mike...my buddy has a master power T70 (70mm front compressor housing) and a .96 a/r exhaust housing on MY former rear mount and he spools it perfectly fine on a stock LS1 and a 6-speed. Made 530 at 9psi and remember it was just "thrown together" and tuned lol. Just make the y pipe 2.5" and the over axle to the turbo pipe 3" to keep velocity and heat up AND dont forget to wrap all that **** and you'll be golden. Now im thinking about doin a single turbo instead of twin on mine, you know anybody who wants badass twin turbos?? I'm the most indecisive person in ls1tech history lol
Agree with you, I'm running the same turbo on mine. Good for somewhere around 600-650rwhp efficiently. Pretty damn good for a "cheap" turbo. I went under the axle on my charge, over the axle on the hot side... People had problems blowing couplers with the charge going over (the big hook) so I put a slight bend and put the car on an asymetrical lift (so the rear was as low as possible) and welded. Has good ground clearance and the DS axle tube never hits. What type of turbos do you have? I'm looking for a set, but needs to support at least 850rwhp and 20+ psi.

Quick Reply: remote turbo setup?