Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just got my F1 ProCharger installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nojdrof
Having a little problem that Bob may be able to help me with... I drove into town yesterday and while in traffic (for about 5 minutes) I noticed my temp gauge was up over 220 degrees. I immediately turned off the AC and got the car on a long stretch of road. The temp came back down to about 200 degrees and I stopped at a store. I let it cool down for about an hour and than drove home with out the AC on. Today I spoke to my mechanic and asked him if he had any idea why my car was running hot and he said this was one thing he didn't like about the ProCharger in that you lose a fan due to the design. He said I will need to install a better radiator to fix the problem. Do you have a cheaper way to fix this?

Thanks
The F1, AC on, and traffic on a hot day is tough to keep cool. The only options I know of, which may still not work, are below...

1. Move the radiator as far forward as possible and then have your dual stock fans put back on.

2. Upgrade to the BeCool radiator and also buy a 9" slim fan (Bob knows which one to buy) and bolt it on along with the Procharger fan.

3. Move the radiator as far forward as possible, upgrade to the BeCool radiator, and have your stock fans put back on. I'm not sure if all that will fit though, especially if you have a FMIC. The BeCool radiator is significantly thicker than the stocker.

I think those things will help, but if you get caught in the summer in stop and go traffic with the AC on, you'll probably still have to turn the AC off and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Gary
Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree, my point is he is going to deal with heatsoak to some degree. Summer days and in traffic driving is not a blowers best friend. I owned a P1sc kit for my LT-1, so my opinions are coming from experience, not some newb just spoutin off! To be quite honest it was the biggest waste of money. The blower was nice, but the kit was a nightmare. I completely had to redesign the kit. chewed belts, sucked hoses shut, nothing fit. Now i'm not trying to bash procharger, they had some issues in there earlier lt-1 kit. I know they ls-1 kits work well and seen some impressive numbers out of them.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We don't have A.C. on my '99 Z28, but on the 30 mile LSX cruise with a powerglide and a 4500 stall, the engine temp's never went past 160 degrees.
I sell the Spal nine inch fan on my website, that fits above the head unit. We didn't use one on my '99 Z28, but with A.C. you may need it. Bob
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I've ever heard "Procharger=heatsoaked *****!!" that before I drove my car around for about 40 minutes yesterday afternoon without the the AC on. The car was never over 210 degrees. This AM on my way to the office ( a 15 mile drive) I wanted to see how hot the F1 was and it wasn't hot at all. The intake was warm the the touch as was the blower but it was not hot. Bob, I will check to see what thermostat I have in the car and I'll let you know.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the radiator support moved forward, 160 deg stat, added 9 inch spal, went with an LT1 radiator (bigger), fans turn on earlier and still overheat on hot days with my D1SC.

Fig
Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by High Pressure
Did RMCR do the install? If so that is my old kit! Enjoy it.
Yes it was Mark/ Mike @ RMCR did the install and yes it is your old F1. By the way you have one of the nicest if not the nicest Camaros I've ever seen! That car is so clean it's unreal! I heard the turbo kit runs really well congrats on the car.

Jon
Old 10-24-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Jon! Congrats to you as well.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by topfig1
I had the radiator support moved forward, 160 deg stat, added 9 inch spal, went with an LT1 radiator (bigger), fans turn on earlier and still overheat on hot days with my D1SC.

Fig
my d1 ran hot at times as well, now with a 408 t88 and near 900rwhp on pump gas it never goes above 180 lol...
Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nojdrof
I don't think I've ever heard "Procharger=heatsoaked *****!!" that before I drove my car around for about 40 minutes yesterday afternoon without the the AC on. The car was never over 210 degrees. This AM on my way to the office ( a 15 mile drive) I wanted to see how hot the F1 was and it wasn't hot at all. The intake was warm the the touch as was the blower but it was not hot. Bob, I will check to see what thermostat I have in the car and I'll let you know.

Thanks
Sounds good, thanks! Bob

Quick Reply: Just got my F1 ProCharger installed