Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SonofaBish's Twin Turbo Trans Am results

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007 | 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
No, the point of this build was to be a street machine... run only 93 pump gas....

not spraying meth....that's in my future plans for it...

when we were on teh street, taking some logs and making sure that the A/F was fine, he told me that the A/F was staying fine... i was driving, not paying attention to the guage... but the tuner told me that it was fine... .

you need more cubes to run those numbers safely on pump gas alone, unfortunately you cant just boost it as hard as you want because 'its supposed to run only 93'

i would never run mine over 14# on 93 only and i have a 6.0 it doesnt take many engine rebuilds to learn that lesson

reguardless though when there is tuning being done that means that at some point the tune is not perfect.. and you beating on it at that level while it is not perfect has potential for problems.. which is why it is a good idea to throw some octane at it.

when head gaskets lift because of horsepower, they just move water into the overflow along with some exhaust into the cooling system. when you tear up a gasket from detonation, lots of other stuff happens like what you describe.. white smoke

theory 2 is that it somehow managed to NOT detonate, but moved a lot of exhaust into the cooling system and moved a bunch of water into the overflow.. so while you were riding around on your way home talking on the phone... your car was overheating
Old 10-25-2007 | 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the setup on the car ?? pictures ?
Old 10-25-2007 | 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder what the SAE number are?

good luck with the car. I hope its nothing to serious.
Old 10-25-2007 | 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE

theory 2 is that it somehow managed to NOT detonate, but moved a lot of exhaust into the cooling system and moved a bunch of water into the overflow.. so while you were riding around on your way home talking on the phone... your car was overheating
no... i was talking on the phone BEFORE all of the bad **** happened.... i kept a close eye on the water temp and everything stayed ok....

either way, with the prayful assumption that nothing happened to the motor, i'm going to order a meth kit and put it on to make sure i'm staying safe at that power level

I will change the oil as soon as i get an opportunity to see if anything is in it
Old 10-25-2007 | 01:06 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

no... i was talking on the phone BEFORE all of the bad **** happened.... i kept a close eye on the water temp and everything stayed ok....

either way, with the prayful assumption that nothing happened to the motor, i'm going to order a meth kit and put it on to make sure i'm staying safe at that power level

I will change the oil as soon as i get an opportunity to see if anything is in it
I would also richen it up a bit!
Old 10-25-2007 | 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

glad it wasnt an overheat. just throwing out possibilities cuz all of it has happened before to somebody somewhere.
Old 10-25-2007 | 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figure the safest bet is just to street tune any car thats gonna see a lot of abuse or daily driving. Dynos scare me in this respect. Tuning the car with 2 or 3 people loaded up in it on the street will give you some real expectations of the car's reliability.
Old 10-25-2007 | 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got that right. Tune a 800hp 6000lb truck on the dyno and then expect it to live on the street.hahaha.
Old 10-25-2007 | 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Got that right. Tune a 800hp 6000lb truck on the dyno and then expect it to live on the street.hahaha.
If you use something like a mustang dyno there is no issue. Every seems to be a fan of giant internet ***** dynojet numbers though.
Old 10-25-2007 | 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well hopefuly she's ok, you did make some good numbers but maybe thats part of the reason why too. Good Luck
Old 10-25-2007 | 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mustang Dyno will solve that problem
Old 10-25-2007 | 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,307 Posts

13psi with an A/F of 12:1?
Old 10-26-2007 | 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

So if i have it re-tuned to 11.5 A/F with Meth, do you guys think that's safe enough??? To run 13-15psi?
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zombie your an ok guy you know that hahahaha.
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:10 AM
Banned

bish, i would dyno it and run the numbers you want to push on the dyno. on the street i would back it down to a safe number. over 600rwhp and youre not even going to come close to traction. along with most things in our area arent strong enough to hang with a topend warrior. not to mention your car is on stock suspension. turn boost down some and put about 1k into yoru rear suspension then play at a track and etc. run some times then slowly increase boost at teh track till you reach your goal for ET and MPH
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

So if i have it re-tuned to 11.5 A/F with Meth, do you guys think that's safe enough??? To run 13-15psi?
oh yes, meth will help everything

pulls heat out, denser charge
adds octane, prevent detonation
adds fuel, relieves strain on rest of the fuel system
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:27 AM
Banned

so could you actually skimp on injectors then? say for mysetup? instead of 96#s coudl i run 60s with meth instead of run meth and 96s
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Quik
bish, i would dyno it and run the numbers you want to push on the dyno. on the street i would back it down to a safe number. over 600rwhp and youre not even going to come close to traction. along with most things in our area arent strong enough to hang with a topend warrior. not to mention your car is on stock suspension. turn boost down some and put about 1k into yoru rear suspension then play at a track and etc. run some times then slowly increase boost at teh track till you reach your goal for ET and MPH
who said i had a goal at ET or MPH? and who said i'm worried about being the internet giant with a certain HP? Maybe you go building your 408 so you can impress all your friends and try to show up all the boys at JJ's or something (i dont know - i dont care), but as long as i'm happy with the car, that's all i care about... I know for a fact that to my one friend, there will always be a WRX that will spank the **** outta my car, no matter how much power it has... Furthermore, I will rarely, if ever, take this car to the track... I'd liek to get there, but i've now owned 2 trans ams, and my sportbike for 4 years, and i never seem to find the time to get there... been there once in the LT1, that's it....

I set out wanting to have an overall street monster, that was a total blast to run around... It was built, made my original goal, and i'm happy with that.. unfortuantely something went wrong and blew a head gasket (hopefully thats all)... live and learn -

As far as traction, i didnt get a chance to get on it at all in 1st gear, but WOT in second gear, even as hard as it hits, it has no traction issues at all, and that's even with the 50* temps outside ... maybe that's b/c of brand new MT's, and i believe that the 3:08's in the rear are really helping it to hook up...

From all i had seen on here, it seemed like 700whp on 93 pump was defintely do-able and a lot had done it.... Now i've apparently had a taste of a bit of bad luck, so i'm asking, is it safe to do it with Meth injection? I'm imagining so, but i want to be sure that the guys that have been there, and done it, agree and say that its definitely safe to do it.... I have no problem pulling the car back to 650 or further, if that little bit of power is going to save me a pile of hassle down the road a ways.... but if the Meth makes the car able to SAFELY make that horsepower, then i see why not stick with my original goal of 700...
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

thank you... a simple question, and a simple, to-the-point answer
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

heh well its hard to ever reccomend to someone to 'skimp' on injectors

if you know you will never ever ever turn it up and always always spray x amount of meth, you could figure it out

for example i spray about 100#/hr of meth and when i do i let bs3 pull out 15% of my fueling.. one could say i could reduce my fuel system capacity by 15% and be ok.

you CAN get 900rw if you spray enough meth on top of 60# injectors sure

Quick Reply: SonofaBish's Twin Turbo Trans Am results