Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SonofaBish's Twin Turbo Trans Am results

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007 | 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
who said i had a goal at ET or MPH? and who said i'm worried about being the internet giant with a certain HP? Maybe you go building your 408 so you can impress all your friends and try to show up all the boys at JJ's or something, but as long as i'm happy with the car, that's all i care about... I know for a fact that to my one friend, there will always be a WRX that will spank the **** outta my car, no matter how much power it has... Furthermore, I will rarely, if ever, take this car to the track... I'd liek to get there, but i've now owned 2 trans ams, and my sportbike for 4 years, and i never seem to find the time to get there... been there once in the LT1, that's it....

I set out wanting to have an overall street monster, that was a total blast to run around... It was built, made my original goal, and i'm happy with that.. unfortuantely something went wrong and blew a head gasket (hopefully thats all)... live and learn -

As far as traction, i didnt get a chance to get on it at all in 1st gear, but WOT in second gear, even as hard as it hits, it has no traction issues at all, and that's even with the 50* temps outside ... maybe that's b/c of brand new MT's, and i believe that the 3:08's in the rear are really helping it to hook up...

From all i had seen on here, it seemed like 700whp on 93 pump was defintely do-able and a lot had done it.... Now i've apparently had a taste of a bit of bad luck, so i'm asking, is it safe to do it with Meth injection? I'm imagining so, but i want to be sure that the guys that have been there, and done it, agree and say that its definitely safe to do it.... I have no problem pulling the car back to 650 or further, if that little bit of power is going to save me a pile of hassle down the road a ways.... but if the Meth makes the car able to SAFELY make that horsepower, then i see why not stick with my original goal of 700...
meth will get you there but remember it also comes with possiblities. it could run out and youll be same shoes as now. it does cost a few bucks to run it and constantly fill it up. i would have it dialed back till you need to run it with big numbers. thats what i have planned.

o wasnt aware you would build a car like you have and never track it. cause we all know anything over 65mph on street is illegal
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
oh yes, meth will help everything

pulls heat out, denser charge
adds octane, prevent detonation
adds fuel, relieves strain on rest of the fuel system
Is there a certain amount of Meth that you would suggest me spraying?

straight meth, or 50/50 meth/water mix?
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Quik

o wasnt aware you would build a car like you have and never track it. cause we all know anything over 65mph on street is illegal
haha... of course it is
Old 10-26-2007 | 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Is there a certain amount of Meth that you would suggest me spraying?

straight meth, or 50/50 meth/water mix?
mine seems to be lasting pretty long this time around, i set it up so that the meth was a nice little hp gain and a big safety barrier.

i dont reccomend setting it up so that its absolutely required.
my meth didnt spray and it took 2 passes to trash the engine doing it that way.

i personally have run 100% for a few years now and have not had anything negative result, meth has more octane than water
Old 10-26-2007 | 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually no it doesn't

water has infinite octane, doesn't burn.

but you dont get any power out of water as a result.
Old 10-30-2007 | 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
mine seems to be lasting pretty long this time around, i set it up so that the meth was a nice little hp gain and a big safety barrier.

i dont reccomend setting it up so that its absolutely required.
my meth didnt spray and it took 2 passes to trash the engine doing it that way.
I'm sure my tuner knows, but for my own knowlege, how do you do this? Set it up continuing to use very little timing and make it really rich? 11.5 A/F with Meth rich enough, or get down to around 11?

Btw, i think we foudn the problem... i wont comment on it until i know for sure, but it wasnt detonation we dont think....
Old 10-30-2007 | 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes, if you cannot command closed loop a/f then just set it up as if meth was not spraying. the overfueling wont hurt hp much provided you don't drown the thing.
Old 10-30-2007 | 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

ok... i may have a plethora of questions as things begin to get put back together soon...

We are 99% sure that the engine and even the head gaskets are fine... all the smoke is comign from the passenger side turbo that decided to take a **** after about 700 miles and 42 dyno runs.... not sure yet if it was an oiling issue or something else....
Old 10-30-2007 | 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Hope its the turbo and no the engine. good luck
Old 10-30-2007 | 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quik
anything over 65mph on street is illegal
It's not illegal unless you get caught!!!
Old 10-30-2007 | 10:21 PM
Banned

oh damm, wonder why the turbo **** itself, if that is the case...thought you said white smoke?
Old 10-31-2007 | 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

I thought it was, but it was also 10p.m. so apparently i was mistaken... i dont know what color the smoke would be with the turbo blowing up.... however, compression test passed perfectly.... haven't heard yet about the leak-down test.... but the turbo is definitely trash.... the drivers side turbo is fine...
Old 10-31-2007 | 11:49 AM
Banned

I thought it was, but it was also 10p.m. so apparently i was mistaken... i dont know what color the smoke would be with the turbo blowing up.... however, compression test passed perfectly.... haven't heard yet about the leak-down test.... but the turbo is definitely trash.... the drivers side turbo is fine...
that sucks, see if its rebuildable. seems like alot of ppl jumped the gun cause of your post. you along with myself and others. but good luck with it. i did noticed tha tturbo was leaking oil before
Old 10-31-2007 | 06:50 PM
Banned

I bet I know why the passenger side died.
Old 10-31-2007 | 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

the oil drain being all screwed up?
Old 10-31-2007 | 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

I think alot will agree that's why you run one big pump. I am sure I am not the only one that has killed a motor over the dual intake pumps. IMO that is a bad way of doing it. I have killed one motor by the dual setup one pump goes down under boost and the other one lets you keep making power to melt it all down. JMO.
Old 10-31-2007 | 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

nothing wrong with duan intaNK pumps. nothing wrong with the engine either apparently.
Old 10-31-2007 | 10:24 PM
Banned

the oil drain being all screwed up?
doubt it.
Old 10-31-2007 | 11:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02SSLE
I think alot will agree that's why you run one big pump. I am sure I am not the only one that has killed a motor over the dual intake pumps. IMO that is a bad way of doing it. I have killed one motor by the dual setup one pump goes down under boost and the other one lets you keep making power to melt it all down. JMO.
well you could do it with a LED. when the second pump kicks on viva a Hobbs switch have it trigger a LED that allows you to know the second pump is on. if you see light off then dont floor it. or possibly have it wired into an Eboost. if it dies you back off boost
Old 11-01-2007 | 05:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by domination
doubt it.
well... please, do tell then....

or you could just add it to the steadily growing list of things that they are having to fix, that they shouldnt have to fix...

Quick Reply: SonofaBish's Twin Turbo Trans Am results