Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LT1 boost ?: Delteq or Mallory

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 boost ?: Delteq or Mallory

I am going to be sticking a P1-SC on a 96 WS6 I just bought and had a few questions.

The car already has the Delteq ignition system and I know the only aftermarket ignition box that will work with it is the Dis-4 from MSD.

Would it be beneficial to take off the Delteq and just use the good ole opti ignition with the Mallory 685 on the car?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
I am going to be sticking a P1-SC on a 96 WS6 I just bought and had a few questions.

The car already has the Delteq ignition system and I know the only aftermarket ignition box that will work with it is the Dis-4 from MSD.

Would it be beneficial to take off the Delteq and just use the good ole opti ignition with the Mallory 685 on the car?
Delteq will be better, unless you want an ignition box that has a timing retard for boost. Not sure if you can combine the Mallory box with the delteq.

BTW, the Delteq still uses the opti... just for the sensor and not for the spark generation.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Do I need a timing retard box for boost? I can't combine the Mallory with the Delteq so that is why I am asking.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Do I need a timing retard box for boost? I can't combine the Mallory with the Delteq so that is why I am asking.
You dont need it, but it i one way of controlling timing. When you go into boost, the ECM will use whatever timing value that is in the last cell (0 psi guage pressure - WOT for N/A setups). You can either have the tuner put a conservative number in that last cell (low timing because it needs to be safe for whatever MAX boost you will run), OR you can leave the aggressive timing in that last cell and have the ignition box pull timing as it sees boost increase. The latter will make more power/tq across the rpm range most likely.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah from what I hear the best way to go is with a ignition box that retards timing as boost climbs.

I think I may go that route. But still undecided.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you use the dis 4 you need the adapters, which were $25 each(need 4 of them) 3 yrs ago when I did it. After having the dis4/delteq/turbo on my old car, I wish I would've just went back to an opti, too much trouble and hassle for something that didn't work worth a damn.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

See everyone I have talked to said that making the Delteq do all the stuff I want it to do is a PITA and it costs quite a bit.

I think I am just going to go ahead and keep the Mallory unit and get the MAP sensor harness so I can dee de dee the timing as boost goes up.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you can afford a stand alone, which if you look around could be had for decently cheap these days, i think i saw a Gen 7 for sale either here or CZ28 for 1000. I know it might seem like a lot of money but is def cheap insurance for a boosted aplication.

Quick Reply: LT1 boost ?: Delteq or Mallory