Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler sprayer idea...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler sprayer idea...

I noticed that a lot of the newer turbo'd import cars are equipped with external intercooler sprayers, ie. WRX STI and Lancer EVO. I was thinking that since I never use my rear window squirters on my Procharged Yukon, I could reroute the lines to my intercooler, and use some misting nozzles from the garden supply shop.

Do you think this would be worth the effort?
Old 06-16-2003, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Intercooler sprayer idea...

A few buddies of mine are working on this set up right now. One has it on his turbo 6 already and TurboSpeed is working on one for his car as well. I think another friend is doing it on his 03 cobra, could be wrong.... I know they saw some decent gains dyno wise anyways, would be nice to have a chilly intercooler when running at the track, especially if its hot/humid outside.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

why not just do water/alki injection.
that will work alot better
Old 06-16-2003, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

My setup is running fine as it is right now, no detonation. I didn't want to drop all the cash on an water/alki kit if it wasn't necessary. I just figured the external intercooler spray using equipment that is already on my truck would be a cheap way to get a little more from my setup.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

it does make a difference. At the track, if possible, hit your intercooler with a nice n2o spray....big difference over water
Old 06-16-2003, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tossed around the idea of doing this on my Incon TT car. I even bought the nozzels and the control box to run it. I was going to use the pump from the windshield washer reservoir.

I ditched the project because the intercoolers are mounted in front of the front tires with the Incon kit and my car is setup for drag racing. Didn't want to take a chance of the rear tires getting wet when I was making passes.

The primary purpose of something like this is for road racing, not drag racing. A lot of the guys in AUS are doing this (where I bought my controller box). They also use a specialized nozzle for this kind of stuff...they atomize the water really well at a low pressure.

I am thinking about about wiring up a custom co2 system that will cool the intercoolers since I am going to have the front of the car off to take out the front bumper support anyway. I am going to spray the intercoolers in the staging lanes prior to making a pass, and then while making the pass down the track. Hoping to see some big power gains if it works out on the dyno
Old 06-16-2003, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

we just did this the other day on Tiagos turbo set up... had an extra 10 LBS nitrous bottle laying around and used a nitrous solenoid. we went to a paintball place here and had the bottle filled with CO2, much cheaper and colder then nitrous. when it sprays dry ice forms on the copper tubing... its badass

http://tiago.phxchevy.com/images/selenoid3.jpg
http://tiago.phxchevy.com/images/bottle.jpg
http://tiago.phxchevy.com/images/selenoid2.jpg
http://tiago.phxchevy.com/images/selenoid1.jpg
http://tiago.phxchevy.com/images/loop2.jpg
http://tiago.phxchevy.com/images/loop1.jpg
Old 06-16-2003, 04:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I have been talking to some folks on www.camaroz28.com about this, since a guy had posted some bigger dyno #'s on a pull right after he froze his intercooler with nitrous.

I am very interested in the C02 scenario I will try something like that along the lines of how Scott described it... To freeze the 'cooler right before doing a burnout etc.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

John, can you see any problems with spraying the co2 during the pass?

Another thing...is the rapid temperature change going to lead to pre-mature intercooler failures?
Old 06-16-2003, 05:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

The biggest gain would be to start off with a frozen cooler, but I would try to spray it on the fly and see what it does. I think it would have to be set up properly otherwise it won't do much since it's gonna go everywhere.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The biggest gain would be to start off with a frozen cooler, but I would try to spray it on the fly and see what it does. I think it would have to be set up properly otherwise it won't do much since it's gonna go everywhere.
I definitely agree with that, but the holes that I would drill in the piping that would encompass the intercooler would be spraying in the right spots

What about the wear on the intercooler itself, do any of your NMRA contacts have any onfo on that? I would be interested to know if it adversely affects intercooler life.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Co2 would be much cheaper and safer than nitrous. On the intercooler duribility with the cold extreems. Its depends on how much extra strength they were built for (boost). The ductility and strength is going to go down just slightly with the cold. Unlike steels the aluminum will not loose much strength at low temperatures. You might be worried about the welds if they were done poorly.

If you want really good cooling you could use liquid nitrogen we use it at work to get things down to -300 or so.

Gary
Old 06-16-2003, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, -300...Gary you are one crazy SOB.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats pretty crazy we all mentioned the same people I always expect something crazy out of Tiago's car But there were definte gains seen after the intercooler was frozen, even on the dyno. Speed is shooting for CO2 instead of N20 because its cheaper and is actually colder from what he says. Just have to be sure it doesn't end up in the inlet because you could really starve your motor for oxygen if you did that.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:49 AM
9 Second Club

yea Im running CO2 in a NX system, the pics posted above show the system. I have recently repositioned the loop though to be right up on the IC, works even better now, its funny when the IC is smoking up lol, its FROZEN.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Tiago are you using the nitrous or the fuel solenoid? Have you measured the drop in inlet air temps?

I just remembered I have a nitrous nozzle and solenoid at a buddy's shop I guess I can do this pretty soon.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not really to crazy we do rocket engine testing and simulate outerspace (vacuum,temperature) while we are testing. Mostly we dont have to get the temperatures to crazy.

Gary
Old 06-17-2003, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club

PSJ I haven't measured the IATs yet, cause Im still kinda just testing it out, but I will try to get some numbers for you in the next few days.

Also Im running the Nitrous selenoid.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'm wondering how much C02 is used as well. I could get a 10 lb bottle or a 5 lb bottle.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lots of people are going with C02 because of cost. just keep it away from your intake.

Quick Reply: Intercooler sprayer idea...