Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Attn Ohio boys: O-ring question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:44 PM
7 Second Club

Received 310 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LSInnovations
The only new upgrade over a GM MLS is the new Felpro MLS LS1 gasket.
Are these the new 5 layer gaskets? Are they a big enough bore for the AFR 225 head? Part numbers? I am going to try those head gaskets next I think as I have noticed after 2 years of beating on mine that the cometics appear to be weaping around the edges of the cylinders.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by LSInnovations
The only new upgrade over a GM MLS is the new Felpro MLS LS1 gasket.
Aside from MM using these....is there anymore info on them ?

Are they only 6 bolt, or 4 bolt too ? pics or part nos ?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why are you guys pushing water how much power are you making? with what size CI? doesnt make sense to me theres a numbe rof guys now running 7 second passes with no problmes at all. Or are you guys running smaller engines? sorry to protrude but its not adding up to me and im a nooby to your builds sorry :S
Old 11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bifster
why are you guys pushing water how much power are you making? with what size CI? doesnt make sense to me theres a numbe rof guys now running 7 second passes with no problmes at all. Or are you guys running smaller engines? sorry to protrude but its not adding up to me and im a nooby to your builds sorry :S
It mainly doesnt make sense cause theres alot more to it than you understand...
Old 11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bifster

I start to lift the heads when I boost over 20 psi. I started to at around 22 such for me was around 1050rwhp. Now I wouldn't blow a gasket I would just lift the heads enough to pressurize the coolant system and push water out the over flow. That is what we are after. Its the weak 4 bolt per cylinder setup. I didn't start to blow a head gasket till about 25-26 psi. The big boys you are talking about ARE replying in this thread and they to had the same problem and found ways Round it or to live with it and thats why this thread was started. Some of the others you talk about are Paul majior and Tom kempt, both are runnng the LSX block with 6 head bolts per cylinder.

Kyle
Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size wire ya'll using guys??????? BUMP!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribing
Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
What size wire ya'll using guys??????? BUMP!!!
BBBBBBBBUUUUUUMMMMMPPPPPPPP
Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a lot of wire-kits at like summitracing with .041" wire seems to be a popular size. So, .007" raised surface from the head and cut a .034" deep groove? Anyone? Interested now in o-ringing my heads and mls 5 layer
Old 11-11-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mike or Steve,

How thick of a copper head gasket ya running? What brand?

Kyle
Old 11-11-2007, 09:49 AM
9 Second Club

I can honestly say L19 head studs with the felpro gaskets has been working well in the setup's we are using. Im about to push my combo to the 20 psi zone also. So I will see if it will push water. No O ring just a better head stud and gasket.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I can honestly say L19 head studs with the felpro gaskets has been working well in the setup's we are using. Im about to push my combo to the 20 psi zone also. So I will see if it will push water. No O ring just a better head stud and gasket.

Maybe the L19's in the stock sized stud, not with 1/2" we were looking at 1/2" studs for my setup, but from whatbwe can see when you machine the block for 1/2" studs all the threads aren't gone from the studs before leaving lessmaterial in the hole for the 1/2" stud making it not as strong. Any others seen this?
Kurt??

Kyle
Old 11-11-2007, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Maybe the L19's in the stock sized stud, not with 1/2" we were looking at 1/2" studs for my setup, but from whatbwe can see when you machine the block for 1/2" studs all the threads aren't gone from the studs before leaving lessmaterial in the hole for the 1/2" stud making it not as strong. Any others seen this?
Kurt??

Kyle
From what I was told the L19 head studs have the same clamping force as a 1/2 stud. All I can say is we will see
Old 11-11-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't they make a 9/16th stud for LSx motors as well? Just looking as some stock bolts, it looks like machining for the 9/16ths stud would clean out the original threads. Also, what about opening up the holes enough to clean off the threads and timeserting them? I know a lot of high powered northstar guys run timeserts and it might give you the room to clean up the threads then run a 1/2in stud.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Mike or Steve,

How thick of a copper head gasket ya running? What brand?

Kyle
There .050 thick. We have ran SCE and Flatout's...Doesn't matter.

The problem isn't the clamp load...It's the space between the bolts. Don't wast your money on the L19 studs.
We have ran 1/2 studs for years with no thread pulling issues.

You just can't say I run this much boost and I do or don't push water. There is a key factor missing...TIMING. On my old setup I could run as much as 26psi and not push a drop. But it would only run high 8's at that timing. Add a few degrees and it would go mid 8's and push a bunch.

I measured the wire AGAIN on my old set of heads. The wire sticks out .007 and as measured in the head seams to be .035 dia. So what ls1king000 posted is probably correct. The OD of the wire is 4.335
Old 11-11-2007, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
Don't wast your money on the L19 studs.
With all due respect because you guys have some fast cars. If a person allready has there block installed and needed more clamping force this option works. I know this for a fact! So I feel I didnt WASTE my money. Considering we were pushing water and all we did was change the gaskets and studs. This is just my opinion as everyone has there own.

JMG
Old 11-11-2007, 02:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all due respect because you guys have some fast cars. If a person allready has there block installed and needed more clamping force this option works. I know this for a fact! So I feel I didnt WASTE my money. Considering we were pushing water and all we did was change the gaskets and studs. This is just my opinion as everyone has there own.

JMG
I think he was saying if you are trying to decide which ones to go with. I am with you JM the L19's helped the black car when the previous owner was having issues was pushing water and L19's with Yama-bond fixed it etc...
Old 11-11-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

JMG
Not trying to argue...Just more info on the site the better. But how do you know for a FACT that the reason your not pushing water wasn't just from the gasket change alone?

Inspector12, how do you know it wasn't the Yamabond? We use it and thats some good stuff. Although it has it's downfalls...
Old 11-11-2007, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

Not trying to argue...Just more info on the site the better. But how do you know for a FACT that the reason your not pushing water wasn't just from the gasket change alone?
Like I said before with all due respect bro! You guys are doing it on 4 bolts still! How do I know for a fact? Because I persoanlly did the work,dyno and tuning
Old 11-11-2007, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

Inspector12, how do you know it wasn't the Yamabond? We use it and thats some good stuff. Although it has it's downfalls...
Like it takes FOREVER to clean

Quick Reply: Attn Ohio boys: O-ring question