Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

98 C5 with F-2 PICS......(56k good luck)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MN car? Looks Killer, Just Short of our sponsored car (Mark with the 65 Chevelle) I would like to see this one in person too.......

Nice Numbers, too bad you hurt it too....
Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
honestly not trying to be an ***, but thats all it made with the blower? what blower rpm are you turning, is there alot left in it? id be interested to see the power curve on the blower alone if you have it
Well not to be an *** but what were you expecting out of a blower that takes 300hp to spin. I am spinning it at 55000rpm and max is 65000rpm. I didnt think 1200 at 5000 rpm out of a 408 was that bad, the other two F2 cars put low 1200's down with 540ci big blocks. Its a blower car not a turbo car takes a lot more power to make power.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Carnutz
MN car? Looks Killer, Just Short of our sponsored car (Mark with the 65 Chevelle) I would like to see this one in person too.......

Nice Numbers, too bad you hurt it too....
You must work at MAS, Mark is a awsome guy, had a lot of fun partying with him in vegas. My friend and I were the ones that brought him and Jesse ( 70 Chevelle) out to Sema. Both very Nasty cars, couldn't have asked for a better group of guys.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eb02z06
What was the problem with the cog setup?
The problem with the cog set up is that ATI built and sold a cog set up for the Y-body and didnt bother to see if there was a belt that fit. It also cant handle a F2. It broke off the idler pulley between the crank and PS pump(at part throttle) then broke the center out of the waater pump pulley, then broke the alternator bracket. Took a lot of Fab to make it work. The F2 is one mean blower.But after all that work I couldn't see running anything smaller because that thing sound EVIL!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

if you guys get together sometime this winter or in the spring i seriously need to know. I am heading down there for sure in the spring to get a little dyno time anyway, and i would like to see these works of art.
BTW, i found it quite funny how many cars from MN made it to the finals (including Bill, fargo/MN close enough) and hung in there with guys that seemed to have money just rolling into their cars.
Gary
Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MoreJuice
The problem with the cog set up is that ATI built and sold a cog set up for the Y-body and didnt bother to see if there was a belt that fit. It also cant handle a F2. It broke off the idler pulley between the crank and PS pump(at part throttle) then broke the center out of the waater pump pulley, then broke the alternator bracket. Took a lot of Fab to make it work. The F2 is one mean blower.But after all that work I couldn't see running anything smaller because that thing sound EVIL!!!

WOW-I can beleive that but does the belt still have to be that tight for the cog? I'm really thinking about going cog next year as well but with a F1R, so where did you end up finding belt that fits? Badass setup BTW-gotta love the scream of a F2!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 AM
9 Second Club

very nice setup! congrats!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

BTW-gotta love the scream of a F2!!!!!!
Yep, it is like the sweet sound of angels

Keith
Old 11-09-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW-I can beleive that but does the belt still have to be that tight for the cog? I'm really thinking about going cog next year as well but with a F1R, so where did you end up finding belt that fits? Badass setup BTW-gotta love the scream of a F2!!!!!!
The F-2 took so much to spin and the 30mm belt was not ideal for that size blower but yet that was what the pulley kit was made for. I think MoreJuice will agree that the one good thing from ATI was the Super Pulley. It works great and I feel is the key to this set up working with such a large blower. The belt was still slipping, I know it is hard to believe with a cog but it was shredding teath off, now some of that could have been due to some of the stock brackets flexing but in either case the belt was tight. I don't remember where he got the belts from but now its alot shorter because all its running is the blower, crank, and water pump.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Staging Lane

NICE setup "MoreJuice"! I saw the video's and picture's of your stuff at SEMA with my guys Mark and Rod. Sorry to hear about the head gasket failure. That thing is cooking out some HP! I'm working on a race F-2 kit for a buddy and myself right now, but curious as to how you got that F-2 on there. Is that a modified GTO bracket or a modified Y-body bracket setup?

Originally Posted by No Juice
The F-2 took so much to spin and the 30mm belt was not ideal for that size blower but yet that was what the pulley kit was made for. I think MoreJuice will agree that the one good thing from ATI was the Super Pulley. It works great and I feel is the key to this set up working with such a large blower. The belt was still slipping, I know it is hard to believe with a cog but it was shredding teath off, now some of that could have been due to some of the stock brackets flexing but in either case the belt was tight. I don't remember where he got the belts from but now its alot shorter because all its running is the blower, crank, and water pump.

After talking to Sergio today, the 30mm rubber(I assume your running rubber) belt wont live too well on the deal depending on how long the belt is. You may either have to go wider or kevlar. Kevlar, though, you cant back bend. I think I am gonna just stick with a 75mm Bando. I assume you guys are around a 1200 belt? If so thats the trouble. You start getting longer like the 1600 a standard setup runs then the belt speed comes down. Another thing is that rubber starts shreading teeth where the kevlar just snaps possibly taking parts with it.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:00 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was kinda curious about your head gasket set up even though it blew it made it a long way LOL! I know others have survived at that level, but not a ton. !/2" head studs looks like although it it hard to tell in the photo's. Looks good though great fabrication.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering whether the HP numbers were done on nitrous or not also.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Juice, that is one serious blown vette. Congrats !

I wanted to ask why you guys didn't use a tall deck (ETP or AFR) head in order to avoid the lifting problem ? I have gone as far as to modify my block and heads for 9/16 studs to ensure I won't have those issues after 20psi.

If you check out the Corvette Forum, we have a member that has built a COG application on his C5 you may be interested in. The belt looks to be about twice the size. With a slight modification to the p/s rack, he managed to make it all fit.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1708437

He had some fella's down in Cali make up some customs pulley's for his setup

http://www.blackmountainprecision.com/
Old 11-11-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I was wondering whether the HP numbers were done on nitrous or not also.
someone said it made near 1200 on the 30 lbs on blower, and was makign that amount at 5000 rpm on a200 shot or something when it popped

if thats a stock head casting car, im amazed it held on for the first pulll, would like to see if it could make any passes and not spill a gallon of coolant on stock head
Old 11-12-2007, 03:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know it has been asked in this thread..but I didn't see an answer. What type of head gasket was used in this setup? thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
Here are a few pics of MoreJuice's 98 C5 at SEMA this last week for the Dynomax power to the wheels contest. Top 10 finalists made it to the show in Vegas.
It has a 408 with an F-2. He didn't win but made a good effort. He made 1200rwhp at 5000rpm at about 30psi and a 200 shot before it ran out of fuel. Unfortunately it popped a gasket and made a **** sandwich. Other than sounding like a harrier jet its quite the sleeper. The winner had a 64 Rambler with a TT 427 that made 1640rwhp.
big thumbs up to MoreJuice, its a monster car and every time i see pics its shocks me! lol is there any plans to go for a better belt system???

any ideas who built the 427 TT???

thanks Chris.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
I know it has been asked in this thread..but I didn't see an answer. What type of head gasket was used in this setup? thanks
The first set i used were stock MLS, the second set were Cometics.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuntington101
big thumbs up to MoreJuice, its a monster car and every time i see pics its shocks me! lol is there any plans to go for a better belt system???

any ideas who built the 427 TT???

thanks Chris.
I have some more testing to do with the set up i have now. It will end up being a 30 or 50mm set up of somesort. Dont have a lot of street time with this set up, i want to see what kind of belt life i have with the way it is to see if a 50mm will be nec.Im going to move the blower and rack forward so i can run just the blower on the cog. Its a short belt with 90% rap on the blower pulley and crank pulley. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.

As far as the Rumbler, not sure who did the engine work but Brian did all the work on the car himself. Very talented guy, that car is SICK!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good looking car.

Good luck with the belts and head gaskets.........

Kyle
Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

How are you able to get that much boost? I have the same blower super pulley but it is 4.5'' in diameter and I thought it was the only size thay make. I am getting a overdriven crank shell made but I still wont see as much boost as Id like. I would like to max out the blower but will be far from it my blower is only a F1R 5:1 stepup ratio.Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: 98 C5 with F-2 PICS......(56k good luck)