Not LS1 but cool Hellion Twin kit with Eaton

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubberduck

this is what you normaly see on diesel engines,
They showed that too.............
The chevelle in the background has a twin turbo'd DURAMAX. The spec card claimed 1000 HP & 2000 lbft.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cpt_bimes
I can't believe noone has mentioned basic laws of physics here.

You can't just add two pressures together like that and get a bigger number.

26 psi out of a turbo and 18 psi out of a blower = 26 psi

it don't equal 44 psi

red beast has got the idea.
no it wont make 26 psi! you can just say it will make xxpsi because there are far to many veriables.

you need to remeber that the SC has no presure refferance to anything. all it does is MOVE AIR! the faster you spin it the more air it shifts. now one key factor is the air its sucking in. if there is a restriction before the blower, no matter how fast you spin it, the power will still be lower than without a restriction.

now move the other way. lets put positive presure on the intake side of the blower. and lets say for arguements sake its 14.5psi (1bar). now lets also asume that the SC will move twice the volume of air to the engines demands at WOT. therefore the boost form the SC (with no turbos) will be 1bar also.

so what happens when you put them together??? well you cant just say 14.5+14.5= around about 30psi. what you can say is the supercharger will move twice the air the engine needs. so it will move 2 lots of 14.5psi.

its more comlex than that as you have to think about efficies and stuff but thats basically what happening.

thanks Chris.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by N4cer
I see what you mean. Like have the blower suck at low RPMs, which would help to spool the turbos earlier, wouldn't it? Then have a bypass so as the blower passes its efficiency it is bypassed and just the turbos run the show. Is that possible?
thats right mate. as the turbo are more efficent you should see almost the same power as the turbo only guys. you need to make sure the bypass valve(s) are big enough to flow all the air form the turbos though.

i think the lancier (spell) S4 groupe B rally car ran the same idea.

thanks Chris.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

^Nissan actually made a production car engine with this.

It had a bypass valve in it like N4cer is talking about and the supercharger used an electric clutch like a A/C compressor.

Here's a link to the article. http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2216/article.html

Old 11-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Wouldnt the supercharger compress the same amount as it did when it was fed by ambient air? Say, compressing the allready compressed air coming from the turbo/s? Not shure how to do the math on it, but say the supercharger boosted to 1 bar when fed by ambient air, then the turbo/s feed 1 bar worth of compressed air into it...wouldnt it compress that air at the same rate it did the ambient air?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Launching!

probably....the eaton is a small and crappy supercharger, it's not going to move but so much air which is why most people replace them with larger twin screws...
Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could only imagine what it wold sound like with a KB unit and the twin turbos!!!!! The scream of DEATH, lol.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuntington101
no it wont make 26 psi! you can just say it will make xxpsi because there are far to many veriables.

you need to remeber that the SC has no presure refferance to anything. all it does is MOVE AIR! the faster you spin it the more air it shifts. now one key factor is the air its sucking in. if there is a restriction before the blower, no matter how fast you spin it, the power will still be lower than without a restriction.

now move the other way. lets put positive presure on the intake side of the blower. and lets say for arguements sake its 14.5psi (1bar). now lets also asume that the SC will move twice the volume of air to the engines demands at WOT. therefore the boost form the SC (with no turbos) will be 1bar also.

so what happens when you put them together??? well you cant just say 14.5+14.5= around about 30psi. what you can say is the supercharger will move twice the air the engine needs. so it will move 2 lots of 14.5psi.

its more comlex than that as you have to think about efficies and stuff but thats basically what happening.

thanks Chris.
Makes good sense, the eaton is not a compressor. Just a "blower". The ability for the blower to move air in quicker will result in spooling the turbo's sooner.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

IATs will be through the roof. Hellion used to claim 1100 rwhp with their 76mm single kit. Then everyone realized it was complete BS.

44psi and lifting heads, i wonder why. Anyone of the turbo companies out there could have bolted up their kits to the blower, but they realized it was reinventing the wheel and this is a gas motor, not a diesel that weighs 6000+ lbs that needs the extra torque to get it moving.

HPP with their twin kit was using 27psi and making 1050 SAE and 1048 Uncorrected. Id love to see their numbers under both circumstances as well as timing, fuel, etc...

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by cracker; 11-14-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:44 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIEric
Wouldnt the supercharger compress the same amount as it did when it was fed by ambient air? Say, compressing the allready compressed air coming from the turbo/s? Not shure how to do the math on it, but say the supercharger boosted to 1 bar when fed by ambient air, then the turbo/s feed 1 bar worth of compressed air into it...wouldnt it compress that air at the same rate it did the ambient air?
Everyone is getting caught up in the boost / psi matter. The key here is flow. This keeps getting reiterated here, but boost is mearly a measure of restriction. I understand what you are saying and it does make sense. The problem with this system it seems from the high boost / restriction levels aka 44psi is that the blower is acting as a humongous restriction to the turbos. They need something like mentioned above with a bypass valve.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cracker
44psi and lifting heads, i wonder why.
They lifted on the 65psi pull...
Old 11-20-2007, 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have something very similar at our shop.03 Saleen Cobra which has a twin turbo that put out 800rwhp.Just put the Eaton back on it and adding a better fuel system.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
We have something very similar at our shop.03 Saleen Cobra which has a twin turbo that put out 800rwhp.Just put the Eaton back on it and adding a better fuel system.
have you had chance to drive it yet?? what are your opinions on this kind of thing?? is it worth it??

thanks Chris.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by chuntington101
have you had chance to drive it yet?? what are your opinions on this kind of thing?? is it worth it??

thanks Chris.
I doubt it's worth it but we are doing it anyways.The car already has too much power for the setup.We are working on the fuel system now.

The funny thing is that the car is a 03 Cobra ,Saleen, with the Rainbow,mystic type of paint. I think its the only one they made.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:43 AM
STP
Staging Lane

I think its like stuffing 10lbs of **** (two turbos) into a 5lb bucket (1 eaton) 44 psi is a huge restriction and maybe alot of detination because of high air temps because that little intercooler wasnt made to cool that much air. I dont know much but it looks like a joke to me.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would think so too but I can see the point of it. With the turbo's that are intercooled,methenol spraying and the roots it should have no turbo lag.We will see in a week or so.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently saw a turbo'd cobalt SS results here http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337853. It picked up a ton of hp but not so much torque. Kinda unique though.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blower just seems to be a restriction (pressure drop) like an IC would have. It probably sees 44 psi between the turbos and blower.Then the 26psi is seen after the blower. The blower is just slowing things down and heating everything up.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I would think so too but I can see the point of it. With the turbo's that are intercooled,methenol spraying and the roots it should have no turbo lag.We will see in a week or so.
Slowhawk, did you ever test the Cobra?

This concept is NOT the most efficient way to make peak power but will make an insane street experience.

The turbos make 26psi of boost after the air/air intercooler. The eaton takes this 26psi and increases it to 44psi after its air/water intercooler. There is a pretty decent tech story here http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...bra/index.html

Now, you can definitely make this much power with turbos alone AND at a lower boost BUT you will not have the same type of response. It is hard to beat the nearly instant boost and linear throttle response of a positive displacement supercharger. This allows you to run large turbines for excellent exhaust flow, get the instant supercharger response AND go way higher than the SC alone power capacity. Sounds like serious fun to me.

Quick Reply: Not LS1 but cool Hellion Twin kit with Eaton