Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cats or no Cats with a Pro-Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default blown cats

Originally Posted by helicoil
I've ran the Magnaflow cats in the Kooks Y-Pipe (catted Y) and went 10.teens with them. Spent a bunch of money going to a merged Y-pipe with no cats and a larger 3.5" I pipe with a DMH 3.5" cutout and didn't go any quicker at 9-10 psi. Waste of time and money....also had a Magnaflow cat back
Are the Magnaflow cats what Kooks puts in their standard catted-y or did you custom build it? How many miles on your setup?

Originally Posted by WS6Drop
I am running the TSP y-pipe with the magnaflow high flow cats. I dont have any problems.
My cats were fine for 12 months at 540 rwhp. After a new motor build making 620 rwhp the cats broke apart after only 800 miles. Which make me think the cats I had were not the most robust out there. I'm shooting for 720+ and don't want to buy new cats just to have them break apart again.

Anybody making over 650 and still running cats? How many miles has it been holding together?

What's the best AFR range for cat longevity? My current setup is a bit richer than the last with AFR ranging from 10.5 - 11.0 @ WOT.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 279 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by white01ss
Are the Magnaflow cats what Kooks puts in their standard catted-y or did you custom build it? How many miles on your setup?

My cats were fine for 12 months at 540 rwhp. After a new motor build making 620 rwhp the cats broke apart after only 800 miles. Which make me think the cats I had were not the most robust out there. I'm shooting for 720+ and don't want to buy new cats just to have them break apart again.

Anybody making over 650 and still running cats? How many miles has it been holding together?

What's the best AFR range for cat longevity? My current setup is a bit richer than the last with AFR ranging from 10.5 - 11.0 @ WOT.

You got me there, I only have about 1000 miles on it all....... The richer A/F at WOT only I don't think would be enough of a factor, but I don't know for sure.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default So shiny

These should last a while. But no one should actually put these on a car.
Attached Thumbnails Cats or no Cats with a Pro-Charger-img_0107.jpg   Cats or no Cats with a Pro-Charger-img_0108.jpg  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the set up I swap in for off-road use (*cough*) I have the Magnaflow metallic cats and they've lasted four years and around 15k miles with no problems at all and they flow awesome.

...plus I heard a rumor they will pass smog emissions testing (of course not a strict visual inspection) with a setup like mine...

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-10-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 Killer off cats is HEAT why do you think GM has a cot.
#2nd is vibration or a sudden impact like bottoming out..
#3Abuse upon installation or reinstallation.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i prefer dogs

install them enough said. power loss doesn't matter especially with 700rwhp+.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my cats off the 383 with a D1SC. The passanger side had a hole in it after only a couple thousand miles, the driverside looked ok. These were carsound high flows. I expected my car to be much louder without, but it wasn't much of a difference.

I have a flowmaster Y merge from 3" to 3.5" into a Dynomax bullet muffler and three in back over the axle to a Dynomax 3" in 2 x 2.5" out stock style replacement muffler. No rasp, no drone, just a good light rumble when I am on it, and comfortably quiet inside the car at idle or cruising.

I also expected more smell from it, but that is actually pretty good too. Slight smell over what it was with the cats, but it mostly all goes out back.

I'd generally agree that unless you have emissions issues to deal with at 650+ hp no cats with a good exhaust is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Cats or no Cats with a Pro-Charger