Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Couple pics of custom rear mount install....

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I read a lot on this forum when I was planning this project.

I realize that you guys are getting the fastest spooling results with stock manifolds. I decided to go with the mids as a safety net to try and keep EGTs as low as possible.

The exhaust is new from front to back, the crossover pipe is welded together and lengthened to compensate for the deleted cat. I put in a new 2.5 inch stock replacement I-pipe and fitted the whole exhaust together with header collector flanges so it will seal up tight but come apart easily.... sounds like a girl I once knew.

It's not wrapped, but I'm sure it will be at some point down the line.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B4Cya
I realize that you guys are getting the fastest spooling results with stock manifolds. I decided to go with the mids as a safety net to try and keep EGTs as low as possible.
That really doesn't make any sence. I think you are confusing EGT in the sence of combustion. You normally monitor EGTs to get an idea of what is going on inside during combustion. You want the exhaust to stay as hot as possible.

You want a hot exhaust to help spool the turbo as well as making more power. The headers and lack of wrap will cause the exhaust gas to cool much quicker which will in turn make less horespower because your back pressure will be higher.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Smile Fab-ulas

I have one like that also. Turbonetics t76 running 15#'s on a forged 346. Yeah it's slow to spool when cold. Once it warms up, couple boosts, then she is good to go! Keep going you will be happy. Nothing like breaking the 275 35 20's loose at seventy in second with 3:23 gears!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zombie
That really doesn't make any sence. I think you are confusing EGT in the sence of combustion. You normally monitor EGTs to get an idea of what is going on inside during combustion. You want the exhaust to stay as hot as possible.

You want a hot exhaust to help spool the turbo as well as making more power. The headers and lack of wrap will cause the exhaust gas to cool much quicker which will in turn make less horespower because your back pressure will be higher.
Zombie, Thanks for posting. You have an awesome set up and I hear what you're sayin 100%.

This may sound stupid to you but I expect the mids to increase spool up time, and I'm cool with it for now. Keep in mind that this is a mostly stock LT1 and (I believe) original 4L60E tranny both with 130k on them. It's a small potatoes build, I'm trying to take some precautions to help this car run a while before some thing blows up. I hoping the headers will help boost come on smoothly albeit a little later, and for them to help wick heat away from the motor to keep it more durable.

A long way own the road when I have a built bottom end + tranny, the exhaust will certainly be wrapped and the boost will be doubled :-)
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicely done! I am a DIY guy and really like to see these builds. I have proline springs and scrape driving over a walnut, so the charge pipe would be my biggest concern. I wish the oval shaped pipe from Dr Gas was less expensive. It would tuck up under the car a bit better.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

B4Cya, my setup is a small potatos build as well, but i've got all the bugs worked out.

I can tell you for a fact though that the headers will cause you to spool slower not faster. You are headed the wrong direction to increase the spool, but do what you want.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zombie
B4Cya, my setup is a small potatos build as well, but i've got all the bugs worked out.

I can tell you for a fact though that the headers will cause you to spool slower not faster. You are headed the wrong direction to increase the spool, but do what you want.
LOL! I agree with ya Zombie, by increase spool up time I meant it will take longer to reach the desired boost level.
I'm hoping that the headers will increase the durability of my setup by keeping things cooler (less power), and save my tranny a little more as boost will come on more gradually and a little later.

I've heard that folks have issues with the charge pipes getting banged around when they're run above the axle, BUT I want to run mine above the axle, so we placed the turbo a little closer to the driver side, and tucked up higher for more clearance. The turbo placement was done with the car jacked up on the rear axle get get an idea of the clearances and so far it looks like I'll have plenty of room. Also I'll be using 2" pipe from the turbo to the intercooler.

Last edited by B4Cya; 11-28-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 133 Likes on 105 Posts

i know its old but im trying to revive some of these older, more succesful rearmount builds. any new experience would be greatly appriciated. im in the middle of piecing mine together and about to get it underway once i get a few key pieces.

Quick Reply: Couple pics of custom rear mount install....