Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo questions!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Turbo questions!!!!!!

Ok I have a buddy thats etting ready to build his LT1 car into a 383 turbo car and is needing to know what setup he should run and just everything about doing it all. He's not going to buy a kit that just bolts up.

So what size should he run? How much boost? ect, ect, ect...

!!!!!!I have a new question on page two about my car!!!!!!!

Last edited by BlackSS2001; 11-29-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
... just everything about doing it all. .
Spend 6 months reading books about turbocharging and sites like this one.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I have a buddy thats etting ready to build his LT1 car into a 383 turbo car and is needing to know what setup he should run and just everything about doing it all. He's not going to buy a kit that just bolts up.

He should run the Turbonetics thumper T106, with about 22psi, race gas with meth. He should have about 1200+whp.

Or you could try searching and see what fits his needs.

Good luck, Chris
Old 11-25-2007, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the 346ci LS1 first...
Old 11-25-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
He should run the Turbonetics thumper T106, with about 22psi, race gas with meth. He should have about 1200+whp.

Or you could try searching and see what fits his needs.

Good luck, Chris

That ought to do it.....maybe up the boost from 22 to 33psi.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm need real help on here not a lot of BS. thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

this question gets asked a billion times on here, hence the attitude

use the search feature, google, checkout other forums etc

suprised this didn't get locked....yet
Old 11-26-2007, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell him to start here....

http://www.forcedinductions.com/help.htm
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

hey man, read up, check out kits, and build your own based on what you know you are going to need
Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'm sorry but the search on here sux now... so I hate using it..

DrTurbo Thanks for the link!

ZL1Killa Yeah that's what I'm trying to do. thats why I'm on here trying to have other people with turbos help out or if anyone just knows there stuff that can help me. But I've been looking like crazy and researching, just no luck yet.

The only kits I've found so far are the rear mounted ones... I think they suck. and were not going to be doing one like that.

I'm going to be doing the work on the car and I need to get all this info down..

If anyone has any links for me I would really appciate it. Headers intercoolers ect ect..

I know what turbo that I'm going to use now. so I have that out of the way.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm need real help on here not a lot of BS. thanks
If you're gonna actually build it yourself, you will need 6 months of reading to do it.....to do it right, double that.

But if you just want to have everything done for you...you don't have to learn ANYTHING, just call a sponsor who does it and give them your car and some cash.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin
If you're gonna actually build it yourself, you will need 6 months of reading to do it.....to do it right, double that.

But if you just want to have everything done for you...you don't have to learn ANYTHING, just call a sponsor who does it and give them your car and some cash.

Yeah to bad we don't all have money like you have I guess..

I like to do all my own work and I know how most of this all goes I'm just needing parts...
Old 11-26-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Tell him to start here....

http://www.forcedinductions.com/help.htm
Thats where I'm getting the turbo from!

I'm glad that they have all that info it's helping me out a lot I have already learned a lot of new stuff.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Nobody is trying to be a ***** or doubting your skills or saying they have so much more money than you. You came on here and asked to learn about turbos. Well...read and research for yourself. There is SO MUCH information in this forum, it will literally take you months to soak it all up. Go read a bit, and then when you have questions, post them back here. I guarantee though... almost ANY question you can come up with about designing/building your kit has been answered on here twice before
Old 11-27-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Nobody is trying to be a ***** or doubting your skills or saying they have so much more money than you. You came on here and asked to learn about turbos. Well...read and research for yourself. There is SO MUCH information in this forum, it will literally take you months to soak it all up. Go read a bit, and then when you have questions, post them back here. I guarantee though... almost ANY question you can come up with about designing/building your kit has been answered on here twice before
lol ok I just wish they never changed the search on the forum.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Its not that hard to use. Just put "AND" between words you want included in the search. If you want more recent stuff, have it list by date instead of relevance.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok fine..you can buy turbo. Pick a power level, get something big enough to get that power level. Figure out how much lag you can deal with. Where it will spool up. You need to make /buy manifolds and downpipes and crossover pipe if you go single .You need to decide internal or externally gated.
You need to drill the pan or use oil scavenger pump. You might need to run water lines depending on if you go water cooled turbos.
You need tuning program. You need bigger injectors,fuel pump mabye bigger lines and regulator depending again on power goals. You may need stronger tranny,may need a higher stall, stronger rear end. You may wind up giving up things like air conditioning or having to ditch other things like move battery to rear of car,have overheating problems .You will likely need a good intercooler and possibly alc injection.

Turbos are relatively simple but doing your own kit is not usually that simple.
Unless you are expert at tig welding and fabricating.

Most of us serious guys buy a good kit..sts if you like rear mount is good and I like my APS twin kit. I recommend staying away from the small companies. Lost 2000 bucks a year or so ago to one on this board. APS shipped my kit actually ahead of schedule.

I am not a big fan of sts but they do work quite well. Had rides in two sts cars, an lt1 and ls1. Both were impressive even at 5psi. Oh yeah you will also need to buy forged engine parts depending on power levels also. And gauges ,possibly boost controller.Plan on most likely 20,000 or so .If you stay with lower power goals and keep the stock engine than it might be doable for closer to 10,000. Still things add up. Also if you don't have a good grasp of tuning likely things will keep blowing up on you. That will cost even more.

Just tell him to buy and sts or APS kit and you can install it for him. And of course the other supporting mods.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

duno bout you guys, but i could sure do wonders with 10 and 20 grand. For a do-it-yourselfer, im sure kits can be made for MUCHHHHH less and still make good power. As a fellow diy-er, i only spend the big money on quality parts. The rest of the crap like pipes and lines and all other things i dont worry TOO much about. The small things are what add up. Just spend the money on things like: turbo, wastegate, fuel, tuning, and is you can>>>>forged shortblock f t w!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

But I've been looking like crazy and researching, just no luck yet.

The only kits I've found so far are the rear mounted ones... I think they suck. and were not going to be doing one like that.
If thats all you have seen, then you havent done anywhere enuff research. Since I dont want you to call me a ***** or say im not helping, why dont you start in the FAQ. More specificly the truck manifold FAQ. There is a LOT of good info up there, and probably the best do it youreself set up there is. Although I dont know if it works for LT1's Im sure the FAQ will still be a BIG help.

Sean
Old 11-27-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Oops sorry ,LT1 car..APS don't make systems for the lt1 cars. STS work well , I have had personal experience with two of them. Lt1 and ls1.Both work very well. Few things don't like about them,the oil scavenger pump,the reduced ground clearance.some possibility maybe of water getting into the engine.

Maybe you should just go with a supercharger. Ati makes some nice lt1 setups. They work real well also.

Quick Reply: Turbo questions!!!!!!