Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-08-2007, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
Where are you reading all of this bad stuff? Link it, support it.... after being fully immersed in F-body FI for several years, the most common gripe is belt slip. What do you not like so much about a system that you don't have any experience with? As for not wanting a hurt engine, don't get greedy. It's not the power adder's fault that your engine dies; in most cases it's yours. I will say, between a turbo and a SC, the turbo is much easier to hurt your engine with for a lot of reasons. I guess what strikes me so much about this post is that in the years of being into this, I've never seen anyone take a stance against ATI, unless they only want a turbo...

Why not link in some of all of these ATI horror stories you have? You say "everything you have read makes me want to avoid them". Have you read this thread?

I'm not giving you a hard time, but for FI and reliability, they are just the way to go. I am toying with the idea of a C5, M6, D1sc, longtubes, and 9-10psi just after the new year. Awesome performance and reliability all rolled up.
LOL back in 2002-2004 every ATI person complained about belt alignment issues, belts slipping, belts snapping, one fan setups causing overheating, etc. You used to see posts on here all the time. SDCE engineered a better tensioner system so the belt would actually stay on and grip. ATI never admitted to having any problem (at least publicly on this forum).
Every ATI user at that time got so frustrated and ripped off their system and sold it, went turbo or whatever.

You never heard any issues from Vortech, it was engineered right from the start.

The ONLY reason ATI ls1 kits makes more power is simply because their head unit is bigger and blows more cfm.

when I was shopping for superchargers at the time I contacted ATI but I did my research and saw all the issues, I asked them directly and they denied having any problems with their kits. This was back when they offered their 6 rib setup. So someone who is willing to lie about their product and just wants my money is shady to me.

Their kits seem to be working ok now.

They had to do a lot of improvement to get where they are now.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
LOL back in 2002-2004 every ATI person complained about belt alignment issues, belts slipping, belts snapping, one fan setups causing overheating, etc. You used to see posts on here all the time. SDCE engineered a better tensioner system so the belt would actually stay on and grip. ATI never admitted to having any problem (at least publicly on this forum).
Every ATI user at that time got so frustrated and ripped off their system and sold it, went turbo or whatever.

You never heard any issues from Vortech, it was engineered right from the start.

The ONLY reason ATI ls1 kits makes more power is simply because their head unit is bigger and blows more cfm.

when I was shopping for superchargers at the time I contacted ATI but I did my research and saw all the issues, I asked them directly and they denied having any problems with their kits. This was back when they offered their 6 rib setup. So someone who is willing to lie about their product and just wants my money is shady to me.

Their kits seem to be working ok now.

They had to do a lot of improvement to get where they are now.
They had those problems back in the past, True. This however, is 2007.

Recently (at least over the past 2 years) ATI seems to have all the tweaks and bugs fixed out of their system. They make THE BEST LS1 BLOWERS! And Yes the ATI system is alot bigger and blows more cfm. That's nothing other than a good thing.

ZMONSTER!, You thought about Magnacharger? You might wanna look into them too...
Old 12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say the timeframe fits... My obsession with this FI forum began in May to June of '05

I have gotten the bewildered denial from them on the phone even this last summer. I was told (in response to a cooling problem) "we have never heard of any of our f-body kits that ran hot, there must be something wrong with your setup". Also heard "never have any problems with the J-bracket or the hardware that tightens it digging into it". I told them that I didn't know how that was so after having these same issues with the last 3 cars in a row that I tuned with their setup. Again they said it was just me.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

If you want a Vortech system that hangs with the ATI talk to RMCR. You can purchase a T-trim or YSI trim kit ready to go with complete instructions from them. I agree with Super26sport, look at the Magnacharger kit that is sold by a sponsor on here (forget the name). You get an awesome powerband up to 500rwhp (AKA fat torque) and they bling pretty well too.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Teching In

I am running a vortech v9-gtrim. 6 lbs of boost with long tubes a catted Y pipe and a tsp rumbler muffler. Everything else is bone stock besides the clutch. It made a little over 450 HP and 432 fr/lbs of torque.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Hey Frost tells us how you really feel.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:49 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
I knew that someone would say procharger, but Ive actually read alot of procharger horror stories, in as much as replacement parts, part quality, customer service and reliability. I dont know if what I read was truly the result of the system itself or operator error, (operator head space and timing, as we say in my line of work) and the fact that procharger is as popular as it is is going to increase the amount of "incidents". Yet Ive RARELY read ANYTHING bad about the STS system from people who actually own it, more so from front mount and super guys than actuall STS people. The main reason I dont want a procharger is that I dont want to make that much power, between 420-470rwhp, 500 at an absolute max. That and the fact that I will be running it on a stock block so i wont be pushing much boost, very little more than 5-7lbs I should think for the sake of engine longevity.
Also taking into account the every important cost factor. the vortech kit is approximatly 6000 dollars, the TRT stage 2 sts kit seems to come with all the supporting mods needed(fuel pump, injectors, intercooler etc...) to run safely on a stock block for less than 5500 dollars. The Procharger kit is well over 6000 dollars the last time I looked, and dosent come with anything much more than the head unit piping and intercooler.
In summation...Procharger is a no-go. Thanks anyway!
You're way off on your pricing. Check this complete kit that I sell, the only thing you will need are sparkplugs.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798 Bob
Old 12-09-2007, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
You're way off on your pricing. Check this complete kit that I sell, the only thing you will need are sparkplugs.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798 Bob
Ah somehow I knew you would appear on this thread, and I thank you for any input that you can give. After the deluge of procharger votes I have been forced to re-examine my dislike of the ATI system and am intrigued. I love the fact that I wont have to punch a hole in my oil pan and add yet another system that could break to an already complicated setup. Yes the procharger complaints I read were back in 04 when I bought my camaro, I think I was catching the tail end of them. It is encouraging that even the STS and vortech guys admit that the procharger system is much improved over the last couple of years, although Frost and his comments on the customer service are not encouraging.
My largest concern is price and reliability and engine longevity.
There are MANY STS veterans on this site that expound upon the maintainance free stock block reliability of their system, which appeals to me greatly. Also the TRT stage 2 kit is as follows;STAGE-2
LS1 STS Turbo kit
42LB Lucas injectors
Autometer
Boost gauge
AEM Wide band
Dual a-pillar pod
TRT Custom front mount
intercooler (FMIC)
255lph Walbro
Patriot dual gold springs
with titanium retainers
100' DEI exhaust wrap

$5350.00
Im not sure if they are a sponsor or not, and if not my apologies for inadvertent advertising on their behalf. Also I wont have to modify my stock exahust(?) system.
The ATI kit here from EPP appears to have pretty much all the same components of the TRT system, Its a thousand dollars more but honestly if it is the better system $1000 is well worth it.
The only thing the pro-procharger block here hasnt answered is the issue of safe operation on a stock LS1. Its what STS brags about but ATI supporters havent said a word.
Thanks again all
Old 12-09-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will be going with a cog-driven D1SC with 8-rib kit on my forged 347 motor. I am nearly finished with my supporting mods ... being:

(1) American Racing Headers (1 7/8" primaries) will be installed next Monday.

(2) Selling the AFR 205's and buy new heads to bring down the compression.

(3) Selling the SVO 30# injectors to upgrade to 60#'ers before year's end (in 22 days).

Then it's coming. AIR ASSAULT!!!! 101st Airborne Division (Air Assult) ... keep your head down over there bud.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:18 AM
STP
Staging Lane

I know this isnt in the poll but you said 420 to 470 hp just do a head and cam swap no added cylinder pressure or stress on bottom end and saves you a couple thousand dollars just another option that would meet your goals.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Although I do think the ultimate FI way to go is with a Turbo, it would be with a large front mounted one. STS's are junk IMO.

If you go with a supercharger, most popular and best IMO is Procharger. Vortec would be my second choice though as far as superchargers go.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
..., although Frost and his comments on the customer service are not encouraging. ....

Yeah but that was straight from ATI. Buy your setup from Bob and I am more than sure that he be available to you for questions and answers.

I already answered as to which is technically "safer" for a stock bottom; it's the SC of course. There is no potential for parts failure leading to crazy overboost like aturbo.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I vote truck manifold turbo kit.
This kit is very durable with the cast iron manifolds. Very easy to change plugs which should be a concern when thinking about turbo kits. This kit is easy on the wallet compared to other FI options and most important is this type of kit is proven.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STP
I know this isnt in the poll but you said 420 to 470 hp just do a head and cam swap no added cylinder pressure or stress on bottom end and saves you a couple thousand dollars just another option that would meet your goals.
Ive already thought about going with heads and cam, but I am a californian when Im not in the the a##hole of the world, so passing smog is a must. that means no long tube headers, cat-less y-pipes or true dual set ups that exit beneath the car. Admittedly throwing some AFR 225's and a massive cam would do the trick, but my car would eventually get tested, fail, and become property of the peoples republic of CA when I had neither the time money or inclination to change my setup.
Again, my FI set up will be on a stock motor, no forged internals, needs to be a daily driver and have the ability to pass california smog. Please refrain from telling me what a shitty place california is...I already know it sucks ***!
Thanks again all! keep em coming
Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by N4cer
Why not build your own turbo setup for cheaper?
I have ZERO skills my friend, none at all. Im the guy that pays 20 bucks to have my oil changed at jiffy lube.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well thus far the STS has it by a hair
Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 AM

Did you know that California sucks ***?

Whatever setup you go with, I'd get it from a place that has a good rep for customer service. The best products become **** when you have bad customer service.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 AM

What is it like to repair or maintain vortech engines in military vehicles? I think the vehicle name is ranger, not sure...

John
Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Did you know that California sucks ***?

Whatever setup you go with, I'd get it from a place that has a good rep for customer service. The best products become **** when you have bad customer service.
Yes, yes I did, thank you.
Ya I think Ill end up with the STS turbo from TRT

Quick Reply: Vortech or STS?