31.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Vortech or STS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Hahaha.... I wont say I 100% agree with Frost or Geeteego but... they are both saying the truth about STS... I however enjoyed my STS kit. It worked well for me and even got me over 600RWHP (with some other stuff) before I cooked my lower end. Now... what I was in tears about what is writen above... If you dont intend on EVER upgrading.. or dont mind buying EVERYTHING twice.. STS is perfect IMHO.

There is nothing left in my kit that even sounds like STS... other then its still a rearmount. You gotta love a turbo under your ***!

What are your no-**** goals?
I'm another STS guy and honestly, its a good setup. I often wonder if i should have just got an APS kit or something, but the STS has been good to me, 436 rwhp/432rwtq @ 6 psi, no IC no meth.
It did end up killing the trans in 6 months and not too long after the trans got replaced i detonated #7 at the track. Now I'm looking to go after a setup sorta like Longrange4u's old setup.

One thing STS really needs to change in their manual that i havent seen posted by anyone else is to tell you to get a decent set of plugs that are a heat range or two cooler.
I haven't had any real scraping issues with the pipe over the rear axle. I know where it will catch and what i can and cant go over. The one in the front however, PITA, scrapes all the time, gotta go slow if there is an ant crossing the road so it doesn't bottom out.

Anyway, if you go STS i recommend going with the TRT setups that includes everything including the FMIC. I'll be putting a TRT FMIC on my car with my new forged block. Should help the ground clearance too. I think FMIC or meth is a must.

And if you want over the top turbo sound, the kind of turbo sound that will make every import boy's pants sticky, STS delivers.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MonochromeSS

And if you want over the top turbo sound, the kind of turbo sound that will make every import boy's pants sticky, STS delivers.

Did everyone catch this? What the sh*t?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
LMAO... I dont know about "sticky"... but I have scared some people into rolling up their windows when my turbo overpressure dumps... pretty f'n funny.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by longrange4u
LMAO... I dont know about "sticky"... but I have scared some people into rolling up their windows when my turbo overpressure dumps... pretty f'n funny.
LOL...true story. Happens all the time. What I do like is when some VW or small-frame turbo, small-BOV turbo car swoops by and you hear this cute little peep. Then you romp on it, let off, and the subsequent whoosh blows his car over a lane.

Good times.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vortech here.
Still happy after 24'000 miles
Next time I'd buy the tuner kit, an intank pump, flow matched injectors, and I'd tune it myself because their programmer is too expensive and the PCM has to be fine tuned anyway.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
Old 12-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Over 30k miles on the Vortech - even started it up a number of times when below 20 degrees F (they warn against it) and no problems, ever.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frost
NOT STS!! I don't have either setup, but I have tuned each and helped people get their stuff up and going... Almost *everything* about the STS is junky, simple, and cheap. Consequently, it will cost you more money and time in the long run. Some examples include:

STS has no bevel or bead around their charge piping, and the **** blows apart until you do SOMETHING to change that. Whether it be roll the ends of every charge pipe or what not. This seems like basic common sense. The couplers it comes with are garbage; all of them will have to be replaced. They WILL come apart, so save yourself some grief and drop the cash on HTS couplers up front.

Procharger is nice because it has it's own oiling. I hate that about the STS, that scavenge pump and having to pull oil to the back of the car for it and then back up front. The Vortech is guilty of needing engine oil moving through it also. Vortech does offer (at least for the vettes, so I assume F-bod) a nice cogged belt system that is easy to setup and doesn't slip.

Add to that, if you have an STS setup and an M6, you might make 1-2psi in first gear.. not enough load there. Don't want to be labeled a hater for telling you the truth (some STS owners are just itching for debate) so I will say that if you have a stalled A4, the STS will be much more enjoyable (than an M6) and much faster/quicker as well.

Personally for any car that I had to drive regularly, after seeing lots of setups would be an ATI powered car. You have some odd grudge against them based on internet folklore so I guess that leaves the vortech up for reliability and low maint as opposed to the STS.

-edit- Oh yeah, forgot about STS's charge pipe that goes UNDER THE K-MEMBER, scrape scrape.
/2cents
Everything he said is the truth. If you're serious about your car do not go anywhere near the STS. Total waste of time and money.
No PSI in first, charge pipes blow off and it's a dyno queen and inconsistent. Used to be a big fan untill it failed me a dozen times

Last edited by PhillyLS1; 12-20-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:43 PM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1
Everything he said is the truth. If you're serious about your car do not go anywhere near the STS. Total waste of time and money.
No PSI in first, charge pipes blow off and it's a dyno queen and inconsistent. Used to be a big fan untill it failed me a dozen times

Yep I TOTALLY AGREE. My dyno queen ran 11.41 at 119 mph with a bone stock LQ4 (with 918 springs) at 13.5 psi in a 5000 pound truck works out to be over 650 hp at the wheels. Of course I did have meth and a e-bay charge cooler....
Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Damn... i hope sts is not a waste of money. I just got a kit with a GT70. We'll put that to the test when i install it! and Wilde Racing... holy **** your truck is fast. Your only engine mods were the valvesprings and sts kit??!?! anything else? well... im sure you have a converter and what not, but still... thats a big, fast, truck!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:26 AM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Damn... i hope sts is not a waste of money. I just got a kit with a GT70. We'll put that to the test when i install it! and Wilde Racing... holy **** your truck is fast. Your only engine mods were the valvesprings and sts kit??!?! anything else? well... im sure you have a converter and what not, but still... thats a big, fast, truck!
Ya I had a few other "mods"

GT-67 turbo
ALKY control meth
Ractronix 44 lb injectors
Base STS kit with BOV, and boost controler
4L80E trans
HPTuners 2 bar
and a STOCK 4l80e converter

I made over five passes in the 11.4 range with 100 octane gas and 195 kpa of boost....

No nitrous, no engine work, just plain old Dyno queen, charge hose blowing off, super laggy, overall POS STS kit....

I'm not saying the STS is the greatest kit out there, just not "junk" as others may think.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:16 AM
9 Second Club

STS isnt a waist of money.... it is great for what it was built for. If you are looking for a cost-effective (Should I even use that word in an FI forum?) turbo setup that will get you F-Bod daily driver safely into the 11's in the 1/4 mile? STS Kit is for you... If you love the turbo, love the sound, love the performance of a ~500rwhp car... STS is for you.

Several reccomendations:

1. Put LQ9 Truck heads on it.. cheap and drops your compression
2. Dont go without a FMIC
3. Dont go without a good tune
4. Dont plan on ever going above 8lbs of boost.

If you are prepared to violate 2-4... be prepared to buy new shortblock. Other than that... have fun blowing the doors off of 90% of street cars and grinning from ear to ear when everyone in the world looks at you when a V-8 F-bod turbo dumps..
Old 12-21-2007, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, probably the cheapest turbo route but would still be more in the end than a nice D1 kit in which I'd rather have anyday over an STS kit.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Damn, more than 8lbs of boost on my forged block and you can kiss the block bye bye?!!?! damn, better keep it at 8lbs then. Thanks longrange4u
Old 12-21-2007, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Damn, more than 8lbs of boost on my forged block and you can kiss the block bye bye?!!?! damn, better keep it at 8lbs then. Thanks longrange4u
Nah, he must have forgotten you have a forged bottom end. It will put up with more abuse, although I'm not sure about your compression.

Its definitely not junk. An auto car with a stall, 6 psi and sticky tires can run mid 11s with a base STS kit. Not too bad. Yeh its not perfect but we all don't want to run 9s.

Somebody doesn't understand humor? no matter how poor the attempt may be.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Its definitely not junk. An auto car with a stall, 6 psi and sticky tires can run mid 11s with a base STS kit. Not too bad. Yeh its not perfect but we all don't want to run 9s.

Thats almost my setup, except for more boost and other mods too, wonder what that can run......cant wait to find out!!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Launching!

The word you need to focus on here is "cost effective" which equals to CHEAP.
The oil pump goes. The seals go. And then my turbo went. I can show you fouled plugs from where the kit was pissing oil into my intake.

Yeah if you want an 11 second car this is the kit for you. But for those of us that wanna go faster then a Cobra with a pulley save your money. This is not a modder's kit.

**** I'll sell my kit for cheap. Intercooled and everything.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the guy who's building my motor is putting an sts on....wait wait, my bad, he takes what's needed throws out all the sts pipping along with them crapy clamps and does his own custom pipping on top of a whole lot more then what sts offers. so technically i'm getting a LEP turbo kit...when it's all set and done i'll post up the monster fire breathing firehawk!!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

I love smart asses... At least I hope you were being a smart ***...

If you werent Then you have to know I was talking about a stock block... if your running a forged motor then crank it up. I saw 607rwhp on a stock block with a T-67 12lbs of boost and alot of blowby!! haha If I was you... shoot for what ever boost you can get without det!

If you go over 8lbs on a stock block you are in the red-zone... I did 9-10 for a while on a stock block with LQ9 Heads.... didnt break mine till I went to 11lbs.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Yep I TOTALLY AGREE. My dyno queen ran 11.41 at 119 mph with a bone stock LQ4 (with 918 springs) at 13.5 psi in a 5000 pound truck works out to be over 650 hp at the wheels. Of course I did have meth and a e-bay charge cooler....
Dude for the last time (and as I posted before) WE AREN'T TALKING YOUR TRUCK KIT OR A VETTE KIT.

I also said that [stalled] autos do Ok with the setup, but again, F-BODY.

Every single word I said about the f-body kit was true, AGAIN, NOT YOUR TRUCK KIT.

Jeez.... I'm repeating myself in a single post; just for you.

Quick Reply: Vortech or STS?