31.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Vortech or STS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1
The word you need to focus on here is "cost effective" which equals to CHEAP.
The oil pump goes. The seals go. And then my turbo went. I can show you fouled plugs from where the kit was pissing oil into my intake.

Yeah if you want an 11 second car this is the kit for you. But for those of us that wanna go faster then a Cobra with a pulley save your money. This is not a modder's kit.

**** I'll sell my kit for cheap. Intercooled and everything.

you must of had the one bad kit from STS , i have had the kit on my car for almost 3 years and i only blew hose off one time, my fault i did not tighten the clamp, same oil pump , and i have never foulded out a set of plugs, it could be your motor has blow by and oils up the cylinder walls, thats no fault of STS.. either way you have a bad taste in your mouth for the kit due to some difficulties, welcome to forced induction, i see threads on here all the time of people just installing a D1 and are overheating, belt slipping. STS is not the best kit out there , but neither is the procharger, APS, and so on..
i have not had to modify anything on my original STS kit. it puts down 500rwhp at 9psi runs mid 11s with shitty 2.1 60ft and 126mph. with a 2 step and better launch the car has low 11 possible high 10s as it sits so ya not bad for a pos STS kit

for all the people who bash the kit its time to get over the rearmount fobia.
i agree there are better kits out there, but look at the gains these rear mounts have been able to achieve since this kit came out. several people like Longrange4u have taken it to the next level but had he not had the original kit would he have gone that route??? Majorspray is in the mid 8s with a rear mount..all im trying to point out is STS had a great idea, they didnt carry it as far as some of us would have liked but with longrange4u, zombie and several others we are able to build reliable, fast and different forced induction kits, that work ...im off the soap box sorry
Old 12-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Don't think anyone's said it yet......APS!

Actually, for what you're talking about, I'd say procharger. I think you'll have more fun with it in you M6 car, and it's pretty reliable nowadays. All these kits are unique and have their own strengths and weaknesses, but from your description it sounds like you'll be happier if you just call Bob and be done with it, when you get home, of course.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by longrange4u
I love smart asses... At least I hope you were being a smart ***...

If you werent Then you have to know I was talking about a stock block... if your running a forged motor then crank it up. I saw 607rwhp on a stock block with a T-67 12lbs of boost and alot of blowby!! haha If I was you... shoot for what ever boost you can get without det!

If you go over 8lbs on a stock block you are in the red-zone... I did 9-10 for a while on a stock block with LQ9 Heads.... didnt break mine till I went to 11lbs.
Yea dude, i admit i was being a smart *** , lol. my bad. i knew you were talking about a stock block too, well, i hope you were. Anyways, thanks for the info.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Yea dude, i admit i was being a smart *** , lol. my bad. i knew you were talking about a stock block too, well, i hope you were. Anyways, thanks for the info.
Ohh... looking at your sig I do see one thing I would reccomend... get 60lb injectors.. you are going to push more then I did and I was maxing my 42's... You can rely on meth if you want... but I would just spring for the 60's!!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

^^^ Where is the cheapest place to go for injectors?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

I agree 100% with longrange...60's are great insurance
Old 12-23-2007, 10:06 AM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by Frost
Dude for the last time (and as I posted before) WE AREN'T TALKING YOUR TRUCK KIT OR A VETTE KIT.

I also said that [stalled] autos do Ok with the setup, but again, F-BODY.

Every single word I said about the f-body kit was true, AGAIN, NOT YOUR TRUCK KIT.

Jeez.... I'm repeating myself in a single post; just for you.

Sorry dude I must have missed your first post.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smoke20
you must of had the one bad kit from STS , i have had the kit on my car for almost 3 years and i only blew hose off one time, my fault i did not tighten the clamp, same oil pump , and i have never foulded out a set of plugs, it could be your motor has blow by and oils up the cylinder walls, thats no fault of STS.. either way you have a bad taste in your mouth for the kit due to some difficulties, welcome to forced induction, i see threads on here all the time of people just installing a D1 and are overheating, belt slipping. STS is not the best kit out there , but neither is the procharger, APS, and so on..
i have not had to modify anything on my original STS kit. it puts down 500rwhp at 9psi runs mid 11s with shitty 2.1 60ft and 126mph. with a 2 step and better launch the car has low 11 possible high 10s as it sits so ya not bad for a pos STS kit

for all the people who bash the kit its time to get over the rearmount fobia.
i agree there are better kits out there, but look at the gains these rear mounts have been able to achieve since this kit came out. several people like Longrange4u have taken it to the next level but had he not had the original kit would he have gone that route??? Majorspray is in the mid 8s with a rear mount..all im trying to point out is STS had a great idea, they didnt carry it as far as some of us would have liked but with longrange4u, zombie and several others we are able to build reliable, fast and different forced induction kits, that work ...im off the soap box sorry
Blow did not shoot oil all over my intake and there to be oil in the charge tube all the way back past the K-member.
I consistently had oil in the charge pipes even when the turbo was in "proper working condition." STS sent me an e-mail on the 30 or 40 things that may have been causing the oil in the charge pipe. Everything from the check valve to the turbo being crooked.
I have video of me running 11psi and the charge pipes blowing off consistently even after they were dimpled.
I don't wanna go through pains to take "make" an STS kit "work." I don;t have time to **** around with the kit every other day. It ran well for a while, I broke into the tens then the kit took a ****.

I'm not getting into a pissing contest of this stupid kit. If you want a "bolt on" kit that will take you to a certain point, then yeah, this kit is for you.
Ya wanna run a sub 11 consistently do it right and spend the money on a legitimate kit.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't that obvious from looking at the size of the turbo and the supporting mods that come with the kit? Of course you won't run consistent 10's on an out of the box STS kit. If you talk to somebody who plans that, you're talking to an idiot.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Blow did not shoot oil all over my intake and there to be oil in the charge tube all the way back past the K-member.
I consistently had oil in the charge pipes even when the turbo was in "proper working condition." STS sent me an e-mail on the 30 or 40 things that may have been causing the oil in the charge pipe. Everything from the check valve to the turbo being crooked.
I have video of me running 11psi and the charge pipes blowing off consistently even after they were dimpled.
I don't wanna go through pains to take "make" an STS kit "work." I don;t have time to **** around with the kit every other day. It ran well for a while, I broke into the tens then the kit took a ****.

I'm not getting into a pissing contest of this stupid kit. If you want a "bolt on" kit that will take you to a certain point, then yeah, this kit is for you.
Ya wanna run a sub 11 consistently do it right and spend the money on a legitimate kit.
im not trying to get in a pissing contest with you, i understand your frustration, i was just pointing out that i have not had the problems you encountered. i also wanted everyone to realize no kit is problem free or easy to keep consistent. you have to put the time in each kit to optimize its potential. that goes for any kit period !!!! i hope you home build what your looking for and good luck..
Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by N4cer
Isn't that obvious from looking at the size of the turbo and the supporting mods that come with the kit? Of course you won't run consistent 10's on an out of the box STS kit. If you talk to somebody who plans that, you're talking to an idiot.
Yea kinda...

I think you could run 10's with an STS kit (67 Trim or bigger)... FMIC... and the right fuel setup... out of the box. Now your stock lower end wouldnt last forever... but none of the options above doing 10's your stock lower end will last forever.

If I was to do it all over again (before I got mauled by the turbo bug)... I would have forged my lower end (346 or maybe 370) and went with 60lb injectors and the STS kit with FMIC and T-70 turbo...

I think that is easily a 10.7 daily driver...

IMHO
Old 12-27-2007, 01:13 AM
12 Second Club

If I was to do it all over again (before I got mauled by the turbo bug)... I would have forged my lower end (346 or maybe 370) and went with 60lb injectors and the STS kit with FMIC and T-70 turbo...

I think that is easily a 10.7 daily driver...

IMHO
Damn, i like what your saying!! lol check sig. (just need to get that FMIC) But im going with meth injection!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Damn, i like what your saying!! lol check sig. (just need to get that FMIC) But im going with meth injection!
Yea man... Dont tune to the Meth.. use it as a safety net... Do you have 6.0L Heads on it? If not get a set... the can even be stockers with springs (Total cost of about $400)... those 72cc chambers will lower your CR some.

Then just crank the boost up... I think you should see 16lbs with no problem. And lots of traction issues!! hahaha

Jared
Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Yea man... Dont tune to the Meth.. use it as a safety net... Do you have 6.0L Heads on it? If not get a set... the can even be stockers with springs (Total cost of about $400)... those 72cc chambers will lower your CR some.

Then just crank the boost up... I think you should see 16lbs with no problem. And lots of traction issues!! hahaha

Jared
I agree on the 317 castings to lower CR by about a point with stock pistons
Old 12-27-2007, 04:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
I have ZERO skills my friend, none at all. Im the guy that pays 20 bucks to have my oil changed at jiffy lube.
Then the last thing you need is a STS with more leaks then a sphagetti strainer in all that piping with the junk couplers! You can see my choice in my avatar.

Procharger ***!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Then the last thing you need is a STS with more leaks then a sphagetti strainer in all that piping with the junk couplers! You can see my choice in my avatar.

Procharger ***!

they only leak when you dont install it correctly , spray a little hairspray on each coupler on final install and tighten wont leak.

it beats a belt driven blower with belt slip any day
Old 12-27-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

I think there's only like what maybe 1 or 2 STS cars in the 10's, oh wait before someone flames me, how bout a handful. I t hink that speaks for itself. You hear more people complaining about that kit than loving it.

I vote for going with a combo that WORKS and is already PROVEN. What's funny is everyone thinks their setup is the best because they have it. not because they've compared it to other setups in real life not just reading about it on a forum.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:11 PM
9 Second Club

Man... one thing for sure is you have two types in here... those that say good things about STS... and those that say bad things... nobody really says anything good about Vortech except those that dont like STS say its a lesser of two evils..

Haters everywhere...
Old 12-27-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
I think there's only like what maybe 1 or 2 STS cars in the 10's, oh wait before someone flames me, how bout a handful. I t hink that speaks for itself. You hear more people complaining about that kit than loving it.

I vote for going with a combo that WORKS and is already PROVEN. What's funny is everyone thinks their setup is the best because they have it. not because they've compared it to other setups in real life not just reading about it on a forum.
i agree with you about people poppin off about setups they know nothing about. its PROVEN the rear mount and procharger work. they both require tinkering to work out the kinks and they both have draw backs. i dont think my set up is the best , but it does work, i dont think if i switched to a procharger right now i would put any more power down or be any quicker at the track. i have about the same about of money in my kit as EPP would charge me to install a D-1. i just get tired of all the no nonsense rear mount bashing.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Everything he said is the truth. If you're serious about your car do not go anywhere near the STS. Total waste of time and money.
No PSI in first, charge pipes blow off and it's a dyno queen and inconsistent. Used to be a big fan untill it failed me a dozen times
There are a million reasons that cause the horros you speak of. No boost in 1st; were you running LT headers and unwrapped exhaust? Was your tune overly rich? All the above will murder PSI in any gear (1st and 2nd especially)! I was fine-tuning my new 2-bar setup today and started making boost in 2nd gear at only 2350RPM's and 58% throttle. Hit 4.5lbs by 3500RPM and 50%throttle (BTW, it's an M6) It'll hit 5.5PSI in every gear. I can even send today's scan file to back it up

I also had oil issues at first.....till I soldered the leads from the stock oil return pump wiring harness to the pump itself. TRT also did a little rewiring up front and I added a breather to my PCV catch can. Also, did you keep your air filter clean? I swap mine every month (have 2), because if it clogs, it will suck oil past the turbine rings and into the intake charge pipe.

Blowing pipes off....well.......how were they bolted? The crappy stock clamps or T-bolts? I doubt you were launching pipe couplings w/ t-bolt clamps.

I don't mean to sound harsh....but without more info this post is no different than any other flame post. It took me a good 7 months + some outside help (TRT in Texas) to get the system where I want it. I wanted to toss it in the dumpster and push the car off a cliff on many occasions. However, now that it's working the way I want it to.....bada$$ is a good descriptor.

As for the SC options, after slaving on my friends Procharged Camaro for 2 weeks (dealt with belt slippage, a broken belt, cooling issues (yeah, it even had an aux fan to make up for the one ATI removes and was STILL overheating in 85 degree temps), etc, etc I wsn't overly impressed. I'm much happier w/ my "total waste of time" turbo. Not knocking ATI.....just emphasizing that EVERY kit has it's pros and cons. That doesn't make them junk. Just means there are "mods" needed to make the most of them

I saw from your descriptive that you DID own an STS....give you credit there. Tired of all the bench wanna-bes praising ATI or hating on other systems that have never SEEN one let alone have one installed in their car!

Last edited by Schantin; 12-27-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Vortech or STS?