Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts oil pump ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts oil pump ?'s

how is the pump suppose to sound on a sts car? how loud/quiet? is there a difference on how the pump acts at different rpms? for example low rpms= pump is pulsating and high rpms= pump constant on? do you have to put a restricor in the line like other systems to limit the oil to the turbo? does anyone have any smoke coming out of their tailpipes?

is there any other electric oil pumps out there to use as an option besides the sts (brand name) oil pump?

not trying to start a war just trying to learn.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

it looks like they use these pumps.

RB Racing Electric Spur Gear Oil Feed and Scavenge Pumps. about 1/2 down the page
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm
Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Launching!

http://www.enginegearonline.com/gepu12or24vo.html

here is the one we put on my cousins car.
I used an4 feed to the turbo and an6 return. At high rpm we got some oil (smoke) out the tail pipe so I put a restrictor in the feed to the turbo and problem solved. 8k miles and no problems, and yea our pump runs high full time. I used a fuel pump hot wire kit to power the oil pump.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

what kind of restrictor did you use? that looks similar to the ones in the link i posted.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bypass the resistor, the pump will last longer. Reducing current to a eletric motor is a good way to shorten it's life. The proper way to regulate the speed of an electric motor is through PWM modulation.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

zombie what type of pump are you running? have you had any smoke issues? do you use a restrictor anywhere is the oil line?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zombie
Bypass the resistor, the pump will last longer. Reducing current to a eletric motor is a good way to shorten it's life. The proper way to regulate the speed of an electric motor is through PWM modulation.

ok i have to ask what is PWM
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BFEGTO
how is the pump suppose to sound on a sts car? how loud/quiet? is there a difference on how the pump acts at different rpms? for example low rpms= pump is pulsating and high rpms= pump constant on? do you have to put a restricor in the line like other systems to limit the oil to the turbo? does anyone have any smoke coming out of their tailpipes?

is there any other electric oil pumps out there to use as an option besides the sts (brand name) oil pump?

not trying to start a war just trying to learn.
When the car is cold, it is loud enough to hear over the fuel pump. After it heats up....can't hear mine. It's not the greatest pump in the world (do a search...there are nicer aftermarket ones), but I'll keep with this one till it croaks

I don't have any restrictor in my lines either.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PWM = pulse width modulation
Old 12-27-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zombie
FWIW, The pump that came with my old STS kit ran 2 1/2 years and over 40K miles while I had it and is currently installed on another daily driven truck and has never failed. It is set up the way STS sells them with the 9v resister when not in boost and bypasses it to 12v when in boost.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BFEGTO
what kind of restrictor did you use? that looks similar to the ones in the link i posted.
I just threaded a screw in line right at the begining of the feed line. this car though at wot has like 80 psi that seems higher than normal (Not an LS1) but it is a rear mount. I think next time I will use an8 for the return and that will hopefully end the need for the restrictor. Also as someone else said our pump is loud as hell also when cold but after it warms up is not to loud.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

my pump sounds like it is going on, then off. the nosie is not consistant. thats why i am worried the pump is going.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

found another couple of pumps:
http://www.turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pu...enge_Pump.html

http://www.turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pu.../Exa-Pump.html
Old 12-28-2007, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Mike, it could be the wiring. And FWIW, mine smoked like a biatch every time I got out of boost, even before the new motor. Mine runs full blast all the time like Zombie. I have a .80 restrictor inline now for when the new snailshell goes in.

BTW, that muffler = bad idea. Go with a bullet style or glasspack, not an oval.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

what could be wrong with the wiring, what do i need to look for. i am meeting up with doug tomorrow so maybe he can help.

oh and the pump sounded different today, it was more constant all the time than before. what would make it sound different today than yesterday?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

well my STS oil pump has gone to ****. it was purchased brand new before i bought the system from a friend. it doesnt even sound close to what it should sound like, especially since mine does not have a resitor and should be running on high all the time. and for a test we disconnected it from the engine and watched how muchoil it flowed out. then disconnected a friend's system with his on pump on low and it flowed more than twice the oil then mine did.

damn brand new sts ****!
Old 12-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

zombie, is this the pump you use? i thought i saw somewhere that you had mentioned the pump was by shurflo.
http://www2.northerntool.com/product/527.htm
Old 07-07-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigJls1
I just threaded a screw in line right at the begining of the feed line. this car though at wot has like 80 psi that seems higher than normal (Not an LS1) but it is a rear mount. I think next time I will use an8 for the return and that will hopefully end the need for the restrictor. Also as someone else said our pump is loud as hell also when cold but after it warms up is not to loud.
So whats the consencus on the return line size I am thinking of doing a -10 you think I wount need a resrticor in line .

Also the pump is mounted way higher then the outlet shouldnt it get gravity feed to the pump like an external fuel pump .
Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the pump is loud when there is no oil going through it or when it is cold but goes away. I have my pump on high all the time and no probs yet, put like 3,000 miles in it so far. I have it on a relay, so when the fuel pump is on so is the scavenge pump. As for smoke coming out the tail pipe check your check valve before the turbo. I doubt that oil pressure is making it smoke unless you have a big supply line. I have a high volume oil pump and no smoke. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: sts oil pump ?'s