Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

equal pipe length? does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default equal pipe length? does it matter?

does it matter if the left or right side of the pipping is longer then the other, when it is connected upto the turbo. do they have to be equal length. or can one be a foot longer then the other one. im try to fab up my own turbo setup. but im not sure if i want to go right infront of the radiator or put the turbo up by where the battery was. or possibly somewhere else.
thanks for any advise with this.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Different lengths is fine.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Yes, but is it optimal? Sometimes optimal doesn't equal functional, but when you can get it to work why not?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 PM
FormerVendor

Yes it matters but most turbo guys don't worry about it since the turbo makes up alot. Optimally you want all your header tubes the same length and you want to make them as short as possible while utilizing the exhaust back pulses to help pull the exhaust out the cylinder. If you really get into studying just headers and header design there are alot of formulas you can use to help you. We did alot of dyno testing on our formula car I was part of building and the spool time was greatly reduced when we switched over to a header that was designed rather then just fabbed to fit the space and work w/o equal lengths and w/o the correct lengths to work with the exhaust pulses. Thats really oversimplifying it but its alot to learn/explain in a short reply.

I just helped a buddy of mine with his turbo foxbody headers so we will see what affects it has next season.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Launching!

okay then heres other question can be a short answer, on a frontmount, is it best to have the turbo in front by the balancer, or up by where the battery was. im just having a debate weather to put it there on up in the very front. im also using stock truck manifolds.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

69vette, nicely put there mate!

optimum will allways be equal length but sometimes that just not going to happen. some say you just have to get the exhaust to the turbo and dont worry about the route or how it gets there.

Chris.

Quick Reply: equal pipe length? does it matter?