Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo guys, what boost controller???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
AMS-500 is alot cheaper then the EBC thats for sure.

the ams 500 is an Electronic Boost Controller just like the ams 1000, Eboost, Exile, true boost, Profec-b

the difference come in how many stages they can control.

a street car doesnt need anything more than an e-boost/true boost, maybe a 500 if there alot of racing thats is being done. The 1000/exile should really just be used on race cars.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

i was thinking about the eboost 2...but the AEM tru boost looks much simpler and it looks like all i'd ever need

just to double check...DD road race car, 427, APS TT <--- AEM tru boost should be all i need to run two boost levels reliably???
Old 01-16-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
E boost is kinda hard to use.
it is a little difficult to figure out at first but I think it is easy to use if you read the instructions
Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darren P
it is a little difficult to figure out at first but I think it is easy to use if you read the instructions
Yea I read them. Still not too user friendly. But I havent played with it enuff
Old 01-16-2008, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

i have had mine every since the ll came out so maybe i just got used to it
Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just want to make sure I avoid bad boost spikes...I see no point in running less boost than the engine can take on the fuel you have in the tank...thats what the gas pedal is for...so I only need 2 stages (pump gas and race gas)...that said, I don't want it to spike higher when I'm running street gas. I haven't gotten any of it setup yet, I guess I'll look into one of those AMS 500 units.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
so it fluctuates regardless of what its set it? did this happen to alot of people? im concerned because im really interested in running this boost controller
Sorry i didn't reply earlier.. I wasn't subscribed to this thread.
Anyways, I am pretty good friends with 2 really big shops around me. neither of them are sponsers, since there both import shops, but one builds the fastest toyota supras in the country, and the other builds the fastest Evo's in the country. I live in IL, so yo guys can guess from there. I talked to both shops about running the aem.

1st problem with it is the biggest plus of having the aem. The boost controller is also the gauge, meaning you are relying on 1 device to do everything for you. If the one device is bad you have a number of problems. You could of coarse add another gauge.....

So in several cars they have set the boost controller and seen boost creep by as much as 7 psi. On one evo they set it @ 11 psi, and when logging they hit right around 18psi. I sure as hell dont want to have an extra 7 psi of creep ever. This was a factory manifold/turbo car, so it is an internally gated turbo, and that could be a little of the problem, but they promised me it is a normal accurance to see 3-4 psi of creep on the aem.
So i asked the same question to the supra guys, seeing as how they use turbo's more my size, and they said they had similar problems. It looks great, its easy to use, but it just could not hold boost good.

I am sure there are some people out there that use it with no problems, but i was talking to personal friends, that build turbo cars all day everyday, and i value there input.

As far as the profec b goes, i had it on my s14 with an sr20det. It was great to use, hi and low setting, and they are rock solid. I also know alot of people with these in there cars and have 0 issues.

I almost bought the aem to match the aem wideband im going to get, but i just have heard of to many issues.

As far as manual boost controllers, look into the hallman pro evolution. It uses a ceramic ball, thats lighter, and way more accurate and faster. Easy adjustmant, can be had for a little over 100, and they are very accurate once you get them dialed in. THey seem to be the best manual boost controller on the market. I am going to go this route, because i dont need to have a couple of settings for boost on my ta. If it was a daily driver turbo car then the 2 settings would be nice for fuel economy and wear and tear ect.

Good luck, any more questions, or you want to know the shops you can always pm me.

Thanks, Chris
Old 01-16-2008, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fenix999
I dont know about you guys but i think all of the boost controllers ive used have sucked or im using them incorrectly. (i think they suck) because none of them seem to be acccurate enough and the boost/power levels always fluctuate which bothers me to all hell. SO what i did is get that nice little POS boost controller, throw it in the garbage and ran off the wastegate spring. THAT sure fixed the accuracy problem ps-Its my boost controller i used some gay turbosmart i dont know what MBC, next time ill try something else to see whats up
As long as the wastegate is position properly this is a great way to control boost.

Downside being depending on placement it can be a pita to pull the wastegate and change the springs. Im not sure about other wastegates but tial sells a spring for most psi's and are very accurate.

Chris
Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We sell a ton of EBC's from different companies. From customer feedback its typically the E-boost 2, AEM and Profec which are the most popular and dependable. For the money the AEM is nice, but if you want to control a ton of other things and want alot of boost mappings and gadgets then the E-boost is more favorable. Also both of them don't take up the space of the others and most of the time people fit them in the A/C vents.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 PM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
I was going tp post up that LOL.....

Ive seen the AMS-1000 do some awsome stuff.....

What is the difference between the AMS-1000 and 500 when comparing the two???

The AMS-500 work really well for an all out Race car that will see some street or should i go straight to the AMS-1000??
Going to be running CO2 also.
I thought id ask in here so others can see istead of PMing U.

Kyle

the ams-500 was designed for a street car that saw some occasional track duty. The ams-1000 is all performance.

Our line of boost controllers are not like other Electronic Boost Controllers.

1. they are not a PID loop based control program which means you dont have a gain, duty cycle etc to adjust.
2. they do not monitor manifold pressure, they monitor control pressure on the gate.
3. our boost controllers are air management units. They will work with superchargers (procharger, vortex, paxton etc).

Our line of boost controller are for those who want the absolute best control.
The ams-500 is for the street with some track duty or for those who have a setup for the track that only want what the 500 offers.

For the guys who want all the bells and whistles be it street or track the ams-1000 is the most dominating controller out there. Eventually we feel the 500 will do the same on the streets.

Quick Reply: turbo guys, what boost controller???