Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Whats the best CR to have for 15-22 pounds of boost?
11:1
2.87%
10.5:1
1.43%
10:1
7.17%
9.5:1
21.15%
9:1
24.01%
8.5:1
34.05%
8:1
9.32%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

CR for big boost...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008 | 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL-a Bronco banner will do just fine on the Black Viper I do agree as stated earlier in this thread that a little higher compression for a blower would be better, I was just stating the facts that a lower compression build can yield high numbers, well astonishing numbers to be exact if you can run 7's. I got a S85 turbo so I dont have as much lag in the low end as a larger turbo would, in fact the S85 kicks in pretty fast. As many have stated in this thread, its more the total combo. I bet with you at 17-18psi and me at 20-22 psi it would be a darn good race with other things being equal.

The raiders will never own ANYONE
Old 03-10-2008 | 02:10 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS2Camaro
LOL-a Bronco banner will do just fine on the Black Viper I do agree as stated earlier in this thread that a little higher compression for a blower would be better, I was just stating the facts that a lower compression build can yield high numbers, well astonishing numbers to be exact if you can run 7's. I got a S85 turbo so I dont have as much lag in the low end as a larger turbo would, in fact the S85 kicks in pretty fast. As many have stated in this thread, its more the total combo. I bet with you at 17-18psi and me at 20-22 psi it would be a darn good race with other things being equal.

The raiders will never own ANYONE
I DISAGREE!!!!!!!

A Raiders sticker will look better on your black viper! A match made in heaven!

Old 04-01-2008 | 11:28 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by eb02z06
And you believe everything you read-especialy coming from a magazine? You think he's going to spill the beans on all his secrets?

Now all of a sudden everyone's bringing in 7 second full out race cars? You know the ones with air to water intercoolers, giant fuel pumps, giant feed lines, fuel cells, stand alone computers, etc, etc, etc,....

Go ahead run 8.1 run 25psi and let me know how your fuel system likes it when you ask it to run another 25psi more than the stock 45 or 60-so like 85 psi in pressure-just pray they never let you down.

I'll take my pump gas 10.1, 912 rwhp with a baby blower F1A making 17-18psi through an auto any day. PUMP GAS BABY!!!!!!

In this case. the facts in the mag are true and that is my compression. No reason to "lie" about what my car has... after all.. even if someone bought my motor, they would still have to make the package work in his/her car right?
Old 04-02-2008 | 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Wow..that was a long read! Maybe the facts were true in your case, but anyone can see why someone would say "don't believe everything you read.." I've seen articles on cars that I know, and not all of the facts are true... as I'm sure others have also.

I believe that this thread will go no where, as it is going to be opinions on what to do with your motor. There are several different ways it will work, some choose one, some choose the other... opinion arguements never go anywhere, other than in circles..

Some people want to run a lot of boost and a low cr. you'll have to run more boost to make the power. Others want a higher cr and less boost. Both can make power. I wouldn't be worried about running a certain # of boost, a little higher cr would spool the turbo's faster, could be good on the street as less lag, more fun to drive. Then you have the blower guys, who could have belt slip issues and not want a cog drive set-up, so a higher cr and less boost makes sense.

Atleast the thread was informative.
Old 05-06-2008 | 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

it still amazes me how people are so fixated on where their boost gauge needle points to. maybe its like loud exhaust,.... if it's loud - it must be fast.

my 10:1 6.0L on E85 will see as much boost from the twin turbos as it needs to run 9's/ whether thats 5psi or 25psi. My 9.8:1 5.0 stang motor saw 18psi on a daily basis with pump fuel and meth and it loved every minute of it. My vote would be for 9.5:1 minimum, but it's against my nature to take a poll
Old 05-07-2008 | 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So why is it that i am able to run 25 psi with my car on pump gas and 9.5:1. Car is a cobalt ss, 16* timing with no knock, 11.4 afr
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1wannabe
So why is it that i am able to run 25 psi with my car on pump gas and 9.5:1. Car is a cobalt ss, 16* timing with no knock, 11.4 afr
come on, don't mix in real world experience with todays improved combustion chamber design and greater efficiency when we're talking about old engine design technology and folk lore. your gonna blow that thing up
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's holding strong for now, oh meth i run 21* and 11.9 afr with no knock. I could push it much farther to.
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Boom, LOL
Old 05-08-2008 | 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Since this thread is still going I guess I'll share what I decided to go with. I took a large turn around. I decided to go all the way down to 8.5. Now I still believe it has the potential to make more power at a higher cr, I chose the safer route only because I'm not using the D1 anymore. I stepped it up to an F2. Now with the potential for 30psi, I'm not too worried about the extra power I would make with the higher cr. I still would say it is the best option to go with a higher cr if you want to stay at a lower boost level but once your making enough boost, there is no good reason to be risky. I'd rather have a little room for error than the extra 50-100rwhp more I might make with the higher compression. It's funny how once you start dishing out 10-20 thousand dollars on a set-up, safety starts to become a little more of a concern! I better put on my flame suit because I know, I'm a hypocrite.
Old 05-08-2008 | 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

there is no one "right way" to do this. And on a blower car it may not be significant. But on a turbo car I want the engine to make as much power as possible given the circumstances before the turbos come into play so spool up is a non issue. I remember my 911 turbo had a 3.3L 7.5:1 engine... if you ever caught me off boost you could walk faster than that thing. Once boost came on it was a different story but i don't like the light switch effect of that set-up. My Eclipse turbo was the same way, either all off or all on! I'll let everyone know how my 10:1 twin turbo 6.0L turns out. I may have to eat my words but i don't think so
Old 05-08-2008 | 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dman
there is no one "right way" to do this. And on a blower car it may not be significant. But on a turbo car I want the engine to make as much power as possible given the circumstances before the turbos come into play so spool up is a non issue. I remember my 911 turbo had a 3.3L 7.5:1 engine... if you ever caught me off boost you could walk faster than that thing. Once boost came on it was a different story but i don't like the light switch effect of that set-up. My Eclipse turbo was the same way, either all off or all on! I'll let everyone know how my 10:1 twin turbo 6.0L turns out. I may have to eat my words but i don't think so
I know what you mean b/c I had alot of money into my turbo eclipse too. as for the bigger engine I think they can get away with higher CR, so I think you made a good decision, however I might have went 9.5 max IMO. Enjoy
Old 05-08-2008 | 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rufretic
Since this thread is still going I guess I'll share what I decided to go with. I took a large turn around. I decided to go all the way down to 8.5. Now I still believe it has the potential to make more power at a higher cr, I chose the safer route only because I'm not using the D1 anymore. I stepped it up to an F2. Now with the potential for 30psi, I'm not too worried about the extra power I would make with the higher cr. I still would say it is the best option to go with a higher cr if you want to stay at a lower boost level but once your making enough boost, there is no good reason to be risky. I'd rather have a little room for error than the extra 50-100rwhp more I might make with the higher compression. It's funny how once you start dishing out 10-20 thousand dollars on a set-up, safety starts to become a little more of a concern! I better put on my flame suit because I know, I'm a hypocrite.
Flame suit........................................ mothafucka you need a damn fire suit after that rant LOL Thats hilarious can't rmember if it was 9.5 you were going for but that is a huge swing IMO as 8.5 IMO is the lowest any engine should go. I jsut had my 370 finished being built to 8.5 but wish I would have went 9.0 now but will see I might love it as is. If not I got the AFR 225's with 64cc scoped out that would put me right at 9.0 and to top it off put a vic jr and nice elbow on it. We'll see it will be plenty to start with.

Thats hilarious though that after that huge debate you went back to 8.5 LOL With a blower I think they should be a bit higher CR IMO and you got an LSX block right so you will be a bit bigger than 40x ci so that should make up for the low end a bit more. However I think you should have went to 9.0 as the lowest with that setup, it will still kick *** though and with pump gas if you can hold the heads down will be able to push import boost numbers with that blower. Good luck though, I won't burn you too much. It will be a monster with whatever CR you choose, its whatever you want to do with it. I wanted a mostly street car is why I chose 8.5 and max power with pump and meth if I need it. No worrying about getting race gas, etc
Old 05-08-2008 | 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Websy21
as for the bigger engine I think they can get away with higher CR, so I think you made a good decision, however I might have went 9.5 max IMO. Enjoy
well, the 10:1 wasn't my doing, give it to Chevrolet for that one But my car will be run on E85 and i really think the high comp will be a perfect match. Besides, the limited testing i did with 9:2-1 comp on E85 and the sick amount of timing advance i was able to run while still running 22psi of boost has me giggling like a school girl (example below)
Attached Thumbnails CR for big boost...-school-girl.jpg  
Old 05-08-2008 | 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

alcohol is your friend, do not fear the alcohol. Its good for your health, good for your party, and good for your ride. I wish our sorry *** county would get e85. if history is any indication, we'll have it, oh about 10 years after the first station in Miami popped up.
Old 05-08-2008 | 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

i hear ya. it's hard to believe it's taking this long to spread around down here. nearly every damn vehicle i see has a flex fuel badge on the trunk. not to mention getting race gas power out of $2.84 per gallon moon shine that don't stink up your garage or leave black marks on the driveway under your exhaust tips.
Old 05-09-2008 | 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Websy21
Flame suit........................................ mothafucka you need a damn fire suit after that rant LOL Thats hilarious can't rmember if it was 9.5 you were going for but that is a huge swing IMO as 8.5 IMO is the lowest any engine should go. I jsut had my 370 finished being built to 8.5 but wish I would have went 9.0 now but will see I might love it as is. If not I got the AFR 225's with 64cc scoped out that would put me right at 9.0 and to top it off put a vic jr and nice elbow on it. We'll see it will be plenty to start with.

Thats hilarious though that after that huge debate you went back to 8.5 LOL With a blower I think they should be a bit higher CR IMO and you got an LSX block right so you will be a bit bigger than 40x ci so that should make up for the low end a bit more. However I think you should have went to 9.0 as the lowest with that setup, it will still kick *** though and with pump gas if you can hold the heads down will be able to push import boost numbers with that blower. Good luck though, I won't burn you too much. It will be a monster with whatever CR you choose, its whatever you want to do with it. I wanted a mostly street car is why I chose 8.5 and max power with pump and meth if I need it. No worrying about getting race gas, etc
Lol, yeah, I'm surprized none of the guys I was really arguing my points to havn't stepped in to rip on me. I'm sure they will, just give it time. It wasn't totally my decission to just drop down to 8.5, I still would have liked to stay on the higher side but a few things altered what I had origionaly planned. #1 being the boost pistons I wanted that hold a ton of boost are dished -28cc so right there goes the high compression idea. Plus I started to think about blowing another engine and well, it didn't sound to fun. I figured I would start out on the safer side of things and if I'm not happy with the power it makes I can always change the heads to get a little more compression.
Old 05-13-2008 | 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

just to clarify ; the compression on my 5.0 motor with decked (.040'') stock cast iron heads was right at 10:1. with no intercooler i was able to run 21* timing and 18psi of boost with alky injection with no issues. i still stand behind more comp than 8.5:1..
Old 06-04-2008 | 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Mine is 9.65:1 , so I voted9.5

-Will
Old 06-05-2008 | 08:06 AM
8 Second Club

I bet alot of people are not actually reading the first post before they vote.

"What would the ideal CR be for a built motor to withstand a high amount of boost (say 15-22#'s), for maximum power with race gas?
"

If we are talking max power with race gas I can't see anyone voting for 8 or 8.5:1 for the boost range listed. IMO

The never ending debate continues!

Quick Reply: CR for big boost...