Who's valve covers?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys
Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't even remember any more. I think ebay that we powder coated and installed the -10 bulkhead fittings in.

Sean
Old 02-03-2014, 07:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Broke EF
I don't even remember any more. I think ebay that we powder coated and installed the -10 bulkhead fittings in.

Sean

These are the GMPP.. we cleaned them up, then added the bungs, then powdered them black. The ebay ones always leaked a little, so we tried GMPP hoping they would not leak....

Thanks, Chris
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sherm6998
What made you guys go with the Cathedral port heads?

More or less, already had the intake, and the turbo kit was all built. I didn't want to change anything... Im not trying to set any records, and with the 94mm turbo i should be able to make up for any lack of flow there might be... These will flow way more then the 317's that were on it before.

Thanks, Chris
Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

True Beauty!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We also didn't feel like an engine like this with the goals Chris had in mine, needed a giant rectangular port cylinder head. These heads had good overall flow numbers, the port volume isn't big enough to kill velocity, and with the camshaft profile we picked this thing should be very quick to spool.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

Well we went and picked up the car yesterday from Troy at Twisted Chassis in Janesville Wisconsin. It was mostly uneventful, and COLD! Between the cold, and all the snow we have up here things took longer than expected so I did not have time to get many pics. Chris and I met up and then went to go pick up the trailer which was buried in snow. Most of the snow around the trailer was cleared out, but it was all ice in front of it, so the truck was struggling for traction. After a whole lot of back and forth, and a good amount of salt we finally got it out. We assumed the 18" of snow on top of the trailer would blow off on our hour or so drive up north. That didn't work out, so when we stopped for some food we kicked as much off as we could and made a nice mess of the Wendy's parking lot. Even what was left after that mostly stayed in place while doing 80 down the highway. We have some stubborn snow around there parts!

When we got to Troy's I left the camera in the truck, so I didn't get any detail shots of the car. After Chris shoveled off the trailer, and I torched out he D-rings, we got it loaded up without much incident. I will say the snow does certainly help for moving the car around with a spool Here is a couple of pics of Chris tying down the back, and the car all loaded up.

And the only pic of any of the detail of the cage (for now)

The cage looked awesome, and we were both very happy with how it all came out. There is still a little work to be done, but everything looks great! While I was snapping pics, Chris realized that we were behind schedule by a good amount. So we had to quickly wrap everything up, and haul *** back. You will notice that we had both safety pins in the chute but not the cable. Well, we either should have had the cable in (which I looked at, and decided there was no need), or taken out the one that holds back the launcher so there was tension on the pack. Since we did neither of those, the pin holding the pack fell out (also note it was flag down), and the chute came out on the highway! It was not very dramatic since we strap the car down tight, but it sure was funny as hell! I wish I would have gotten a pic, but Chris pulled it over quickly, and we just tossed it in the back of the car and kept going.

Then it was just a matter of trying to back the whole deal up the driveway, get the car unloaded, and put away in the freezing cold so Chris could get home in time. Nothing too exciting there, just cold.

Now that its back, next weekend we are going to more or less just go over everything and get a game plan together. There are a few other things we decided to change, but more on that later. We were able to check the motor plate template that Bob at AEI had sent up for the new motor. Everything seemed to line up just fine, but we did not get a chance to run bolts in to be 100% sure so we will do that next weekend as well. The following weekend we should really start to get cranking on everything. We have a little bit of fab work on the front end, then its pretty much reassembly after that. Stay tuned, and thanks for following along!

Sean
Old 02-16-2014, 02:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cage looks great I was looking at the chute saying something is off here. Then read further haha that had to be hilarious to see that come out. You guys must of thought the brakes were having problems. But keep it up look forward to the progress.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Cage looks great I was looking at the chute saying something is off here. Then read further haha that had to be hilarious to see that come out. You guys must of thought the brakes were having problems. But keep it up look forward to the progress.

I actually saw it opening and took my foot off the gas real quick. Let a car pass then got over to the shoulder... Thank god the straps held the car on the trailer... Once we threw it in the hatch and got back in the truck we laughed our asses off!

Chris
Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That had to be some funny ****.. Lol car looks good, I assume it will be in KoTs/meltdown
Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Chris probably won't race KOTS, he isn't a real big fan of the no prep deal.. Too much money in these cars to get T-boned by someone else..

I think he plans to do some Meltdown's and some local Drag Radial series races... Mainly, drive it!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Those are great pics! I love the race car juxtaposed with the snow.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys!

Chris
Old 02-23-2014, 09:22 PM
9 Second Club

Well not much of an update this week, but as I said we more just planned on getting prepared for the upcoming weeks. We decided the best thing to do first was to mock up the turbo kit on the motor, so we did!

We couldn't find the blow off valve at first, we found it later but I was too lazy to re-shoot anything.

Also, we need a new clamp for the exit side of the wastegate, so the dump tube wasn't installed either.

And here are a couple pics of the inside of the car which is trashed right now.

This last pic wont look like much, but we did a lot of cleaning of this area (and the rest of the garage really).

That's all for now, not very exciting I know. We did spend a lot of time cleaning everything up, and putting all of the tools away so we were good and organized for the upcoming weeks. Chris also got some of the material and parts ordered up that we will need. The plan next weekend is to start on the mini tubs as well as start cleaning up the wiring and the inside of the car. After that will come redoing the structure for the front bumper and the front of the hood. Then its just a matter of putting it all together, just that easy As always thanks for following along!

Sean
Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 PM
kjm
Launching!

What size crossover pipe is that? Nice build
Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 AM
12 Second Club

Cage turned out killer!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys! The crossover is 2.5" stainless steel.

Sean
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

WOW. simply awesome & clean engine
Old 02-24-2014, 05:05 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Looks absolutely killer. I love the engine. Cage looks great.

Quick Reply: My build - Lots of pics