Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please send me the link.... subscribing for all the good info
Old 02-23-2008, 11:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys we got back @ it this weekend. It may not look like it, but we got alot of smaller stuff done.

1st thing i tackled was install of the Walbro 255 pump. I cut an access door, cause i know this pump wont work for me long term, but should be ok for this season.

Next we got the alternator mounted via smokinhawk bracket(Thanks SMokinghawk) Unfortunatly i had one of the early alt's with the stupid big black plastic thing on it. I couldn't figure out how it went on, and then i finally came across a thread where smokinhawk said it needed to be cut off. Which is what i thought, but was not sure.

Then we tackled getting the dump on the wastegate muffled. We ended up using a titanium muffler right out of the 44 mm wastegate. Some people like to dump it into the exhuast but we thought putting a muffler on it would help keep the car quiet.

We also got the power sterring lines done, we made them out of all the parts listed in the faq. We also notched a little piece of the driverside heatshield on the truck mani, cause it was rubbing on the steering. I also got the paper gaskets scrapped off. Lastly we cleaned up all the insides of the pipe, where welds were, so its nice and smooth inside of the pipe.

Im sure im forgetting stuff but thats the jist of it. You can check out all the newest pics @ http://www.sidewayz.net/project/gallery/2-22-08

Any questions ask.

Thanks, Chris

PS... The muffler on the wastegate is a joke. We were bored, and the pipe was the same size, so we vbanded it up, and took pics. The muffler is off a r6.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Great to hear that its coming all together, must be anxious to get that thing on the road and burn some rubber.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

could you explain alittle more as why you didnt just dump it into the DP to get muffled with the catback?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by reject
could you explain alittle more as why you didnt just dump it into the DP to get muffled with the catback?
Look @ the very bottom of my post.

It was a joke.

We got bored.

Chris
Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Websy21
Great to hear that its coming all together, must be anxious to get that thing on the road and burn some rubber.
Its definatly getting there. Manifolds, and turbo are going out to get ceramic black coated. The crossover is gonna get high temp black for now. We will remake it in the near future better.

After that we need to do oil feed/drain for turbo. Install new spark plugs, and Injectors And the car should start. I could probably get it started next weekend, but im not in hurry yet, its still to cold, and to much snow on the ground now. My first track day isn't untill middle to end of april, so we should be good, i just hope the care isn't broke by then.

Chris
Old 02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Ill field this one Chris.

There are a few reasons we chose to go the direct muffler route. First off, complexity of piping. Were very limited on space in the engine bay, and adding more pipe just didnt make sense. We wanted that race car/bike sound, and we figured we would get it with that particular route. Lastly, we didnt go "into the DP to get muffled with the catback" that would assume three things. One that we have a DP, and two there is a cat (otherwise its just a turbo back) and lastly that we have a "muffler" All the things listed are for pussies in my eyes, so none are on the car.

Hope this helps,
Sean
Old 02-23-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

wouldnt not having a DP then just dump all the exhaust gases into the engine compartment getting everything hot and dirty then?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Broke EF
Ill field this one Chris.

There are a few reasons we chose to go the direct muffler route. First off, complexity of piping. Were very limited on space in the engine bay, and adding more pipe just didnt make sense. We wanted that race car/bike sound, and we figured we would get it with that particular route. Lastly, we didnt go "into the DP to get muffled with the catback" that would assume three things. One that we have a DP, and two there is a cat (otherwise its just a turbo back) and lastly that we have a "muffler" All the things listed are for pussies in my eyes, so none are on the car.

Hope this helps,
Sean
LOL, we may be onto something with this. It might be the new craze in turbo cars. i bet its good for 25 + hp on the dyno.

We will see this on all the riced out COBALTS probably...

Chris
Old 02-24-2008, 12:01 AM
9 Second Club

wouldnt not having a DP then just dump all the exhaust gases into the engine compartment getting everything hot and dirty then?
Hes just screwing around. We have a dp, its in the pics installed on the car, but i dont know how much of an exhaust we will actually make. It really depends on how loud the car is, turbo's tend to quiet down cars a little.

Chris
Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah post 41 has the DP going through the alt area, was wondering wtf he ment.

i was just wondering why the full muffler though, seams like it woudl be more weight and take more room up than it would be to do a J bend into the DP. but might as well try something diff i guess huh
Old 02-24-2008, 12:08 AM
9 Second Club

yeah post 41 has the DP going through the alt area, was wondering wtf he ment.

i was just wondering why the full muffler though, seams like it woudl be more weight and take more room up than it would be to do a J bend into the DP. but might as well try something diff i guess huh

Its never gonna go on the car like it. It was just for some pictures and then takin off. I will be dumping to wastegate to atmosphere strait down.

Chris
Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

sickness
Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

No real progress but here are a couple pictures of my upper radiator support. Let me know what you guys think?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

KILLER set up. PROPS!!!!!! for doing it all by yourself (and buddy) that's so awesome! keep the pics coming bro, looks nice! GL!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like everything is coming along smoothly. I dont understand that wastegate exhaust. that sucker is HUGE! i would think it would scrap the ground or something!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
looks like everything is coming along smoothly. I dont understand that wastegate exhaust. that sucker is HUGE! i would think it would scrap the ground or something!
The wastegate exhuast was a joke. We had the muffler laying around, the vband fit perfect so we took a picture. Its not stayin on the car, just a joke.

Chris
Old 03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
9 Second Club

Well we were hoping to get the car running this weekend....
That was a no go. The weekend was filled with little problems.
Broke Ef and myself both agree that this weekend we were outperformed by the car!

On a better note, we did get some done. The car should start next weekend, and i will through together a gallery in a little bit and have more pictures from the weekend.

Chris
Old 03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Frustration=Mess as you can see in the pics

Sean
Old 03-09-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

My respect to the welder. Very nice job!
Sugestion: cut the deadlines, this will help you with the frustration, and with a more pleasurable finish.

Quick Reply: My build - Lots of pics